Natural Selection 2 "Slang"

GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
Please post whatever phrases might not be understood by a newcomer easily.

Also on another random note (I'll edit this out later) how do you play a sandbox or training bot game with your steam friends?

Links to other resources on NS2 Terms:
http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Guide#Common_Terms_And_Abbreviations
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/23782/acronyms-and-abbreviations/p1

Comments

• CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pub is public play. You get the rookies and the random good players being lazy.

Next step is PUG, Pick Up Group. Higher level players that join random temp teams and play it out.

Comp is just competitive. Those are the best... or we like to think the best... players in teams fighting it out.
  • GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
    edited January 2014
    If you've never played a game before:
    GLHF- Good luck have fun
    GG- Good game
    WP- Well played
    RT- Resource tower
    Zergling, Muta, Ultra, Creep - Means: Skulk, Lerk, Onos, Cyst but only in Starcraft
    Rine- Marine
    Khara- the aliens in Natural Selection
    Just found this for abbreviations
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/23782/acronyms-and-abbreviations
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Pub is public play. You get the rookies and the random good players being lazy.

Next step is PUG, Pick Up Group. Higher level players that join random temp teams and play it out.

Comp is just competitive. Those are the best... or we like to think the best... players in teams fighting it out.

Thanks dude!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    RT is resource tower, which is what both alien and marine resource-collection structures were called in NS1.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2014
    Pub = public; playing with random people; just for fun
    Comp = competitive; coordinated play; usually with people you know; clan wars etc.

RT = resource tower = harvester / extractor
    PG = phase gate
    A1/W1, etc = marine upgrade levels
    meds = med pack
    weld! = welding the armor / buildings with a welder
    armory block = building an armory in a narrow passage to block oni (life forms)
    dbl / double = the room with 2 res nodes
    rookie friendly = a server where new players are supposed to learn the basics of the game
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited January 2014
    INCOMING WALL OF TEXT:

It's just so much easier to say RT because 1) a lot of people are already used to it from ns1 and 2) it takes more mental effort to remember the difference between a harvestor and an extractor when they serve the same function.

Anyway, it's good to to refer to aliens by more relateable names when lots of newbies are playing (like during a sale) so they know what you're talking about. Skulk is zergling. Gorge is pig/piggy. Lerk is bat. Fade is Nightcrawler. And Onos is rhino/gorilla. The whip name is possibly too explicit for these forums. Exos likewise are Mech's/Mech-Suit/Mech-Warrior

Other slang can include old names for rooms in previous versions of maps - the one that probably comes to mind most is "West" or "West Skylights" for the room which is now simply called "Skylights". Another example is "Lava Falls" or "Lava" for Falls (refinery). Also: "Double res" or "Double" for any room with 2 res points (e.g. Nanogrid). "Central" for any room located in the center of the map. There's also shortened versions of names like "Topo" for Topographical. "Marine Start" for the marines main base room (usually in maps with fixed spawns).

An old nsnz slang during ns1 (albeit never gets used anymore) is "menpack" which originated by one of the best players in the early days was an asian kid called yimmy who kept on saying medpack that way.

There's Lork and Ohnoes!

NS1-related slang: "Cloaking" or "Silence" or "Camouflage" for Phantom. "Scent of Fear" for Aura. SC/DC/MC for shade/crag/shift. "Turret Factory" for Robotics Factory. "Seige Cannon" for ARC. "Heavy Armour" or "HA" for Exosuit. Sometimes Hydras are referred to as OCs but that's rare.

Weapons: "Shotty" or "Boomstick" (if you're a fan of Bruce Campbell) for Shotgun. "LMG" or "Light Machine Gun" for Rifle (marine's standard weapon - also, inspired by ns1 terminology). "Flamer" for Flamethrower. "GL" for Grenade Launcher.

"hp?" is sometimes called after a particularly close skirmish (usually with a higher lifeform like a fade) and it means the person is asking how much health the other player had at the end with it.

"Teleport" or "Shift" or "Sink" (rare) for Echo.

I dunno if "med" is counted as slang (as a short version of medpack).

Dunno if this is counted as slang or simply a strategic term: but "fast hive" refers to the practice of dropping a hive immediately. It's less feasible a strategy these days so isn't really done anymore but that's not to say doesn't come without benefits (namely faster spawning + availability of two drifter abilities soon in the game if you want to invest in that + artificial map control)

"Lane Block" for the practice of keeping enemy units from advancing into certain areas of the map.

I like to say "bumrush" as a technical term for a quick harvestor/extractor attack (usually by a large enough force to guarantee destruction) either because that side of the map is neglected or they sneak around (e.g. topo vents). E.g. every alien comm game I play in docking comes with one simple order "Don't let them bumrush maint and stability". I also use this term to refer to getting trapped as a higher lifeform or getting caught out by an out of position marine from behind/side (whatever route you're not paying attention to).
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    chair = command station
    obs = observatory
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    current1y wrote: »
    chair = command station
    obs = observatory

cc = command chair = command station or hive
    "phase to x" = use phase gates to get to x
    "turtle" = defend a room to the last man, block entries and build highly defensive structures to hold it.

rest was allready posted here or is understandable by context it is used in ;)
  • GenericOverusedNameGenericOverusedName Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183022Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Celery = Celerity, sometimes people will ask for celery and they actually mean Spurs.

Along similar lines I've seen Carrots for Carapace.
  • FreekerFreeker France Join Date: 2013-10-28 Member: 188858Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    IP = infantry portal, where the marine spawn
    (different from HP = health point ^^ )

egglock = when marine focus fire on egg and alien can't spawn because all eggs are destroyed.
    beacon = ability triggered by the marine commander which brings back all marine in base
    AA = Advanced armory which unlock grenade launcher and flamethrower, as well as prototype lab
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    GalapagO wrote: »
    Please post whatever phrases might not be understood by a newcomer easily.

Also on another random note (I'll edit this out later) how do you play a sandbox or training bot game with your steam friends?
    (I know what pub and comp mean now ty all responders)

... "vote concede"
    i think beacon, central, double, obs, mist, nano (shield), res, rt for general terms. chew on, meat grinder, phase, proto.

map specific, i'd say, in the "get to" variety: nano, stability, locker, topo, logi, just first words in general. the big one is just central means central if there is a central location. Also, i invariably refer to the starting location as main.
    amoral, you should probably list the meanings too XD
    Thanks guys great responses! <3
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    "Naturals" : The two resources nodes closest to your starting tech point.
    amoral wrote: »
    i think beacon, central, double, obs, mist, nano (shield), res, rt for general terms. chew on, meat grinder, phase, proto.

map specific, i'd say, in the "get to" variety: nano, stability, locker, topo, logi, just first words in general. the big one is just central means central if there is a central location. Also, i invariably refer to the starting location as main.

location is pretty self explanatory, or you know, explicitly defined.

meat grinder refers to a phase gate that is surrounded. beacon is the actual name of the obs active skill, but new players might not be familiar. phase refers to theglowy blue teleporters, or the act of going through them. chew on, means bite this structure down. when I say I'll cover you while you chew on something, I mean don't follow me, I'll act as advanced warning while you take down the structure. most refers to nutrient mist, an active skill by the alien khamm to speed up egg evolution. and nano refers to the active defensive buff that marine commander can trigger.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ninja/ninja gate - One who sneaks into unfrequented alien territory without shooting structures or drawing attention until able to get advantageous phase gate up.

Often a last resort for a pinned-in team.

O AND BACON!
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Tres- team resource (aka stuff the com/karm can spend)
    Pres- personal resource (aka stuff to buy shotguns, babblers with)
    Res - resource.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited January 2014
    "Rambo" is a term for going off on your own as marine without any backup. Usually it comes with negative connotations, but not necessarily (it is possible to "Rambo" and succeed, although usually in a balanced game it doesn't work out well).

I like to make the distinction between "Rambo" and "Commando". "Rambo" kills stuff (i.e. him being off on his own is a good thing cause he's a one man army). "Commando" doesn't (negative implications came from an old forum/in-game troll by the same name in nz).

In ns1 this was more of a problem, because whoever ramboed and died usually had a shotgun/hmg/HA/jp, which came from the commander, not personal res (i.e. it could have gone to better use).
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Here are a collection of glossary terms that are often used in NS2 that you should familiarize yourself with. Using them will even make you sound more experienced when you are commanding.

AA: Advanced Armory
    CS / CC: Command Station or Command Chair
    Exo: Exo Suit
    SG: Shotgun
    GL: Grenade Launcher
    JP: Jetpack
    Med: Med Pack
    Nano: Nano Shield
    Obs: Observatory
    PG: Phase Gate
    Proto or Lab: Prototype Lab
    Robo: Robotic Factory
    RT: (Resource Tower) Generic term for Extractors and Harvester. It doesn't really matter what side you're on.
    Res Node: Sometimes mistakenly referenced as a RT, but it refers to the location that you need to build an RT.
    TRes / PRes: Refers to Team Resources used by the commander or Personal Resources used by each individual player.
    Cap / Recap: The action of taking (back) control of resource nozzles by placing Extractors on them.
    never heard phase referred to as pg. phase is easy enough to say. new players should also familiarize themselves with the name of every resource room. connecting rooms are optional, but also good to know. in tighter games I'll call out warnings like "eastwing" and I expect people to know what im talking about and assume our extractor there is under attack. or 3 skulks in gen. which woul refer to generator.the only real slang used for rooms are double and central.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited January 2014
    amoral wrote: »
    never heard phase referred to as pg. phase is easy enough to say. new players should also familiarize themselves with the name of every resource room. connecting rooms are optional, but also good to know. in tighter games I'll call out warnings like "eastwing" and I expect people to know what im talking about and assume our extractor there is under attack. or 3 skulks in gen. which woul refer to generator.the only real slang used for rooms are double and central.

It's pg in text only. You know there are some people out there without mics or who don't want to use them.
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    "Rambo" is a term for going off on your own as marine without any backup. Usually it comes with negative connotations, but not necessarily (it is possible to "Rambo" and succeed, although usually in a balanced game it doesn't work out well).

I like to make the distinction between "Rambo" and "Commando". "Rambo" kills stuff (i.e. him being off on his own is a good thing cause he's a one man army). "Commando" doesn't (negative implications came from an old forum/in-game troll by the same name in nz).

In ns1 this was more of a problem, because whoever ramboed and died usually had a shotgun/hmg/HA/jp, which came from the commander, not personal res (i.e. it could have gone to better use).

Going off on solo suicide missions is actually pretty useful, at least in pubs (no experience with pugs/comp so I can't say). You just have to be careful when you do it and what you take with you, never bring something you aren't prepared to lose unless you have a means of escape. Anyway it's great for killing less defended RTs or just keeping pressure on distant parts of the map. Even if you don't kill the RT the 2 skulks and gorge that respond are distracted from the front line for a good minute, which is a great trade for 1 marine with an LMG.

I've never heard the term commando used. Honestly if I heard the two in the same game I would assume the opposite meaning. Rambo sounds like some asshole taking things into his own hands and Commando sounds like someone on special assignment (IE he has orders/premission to do what he's doing).
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131205/natural-selection-2-a-complete-guide#latest

^ This thread has a nice section on NS2 terminology which may be worth a read, I think most if not all of them have already been covered in this thread but they are all nicely formatted in one place here :)
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Dog = Skulk yet. Maybe it's more of russian community thing?
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lorks On The Clorf = Lerk on the cliff
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    xen32 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Dog = Skulk yet. Maybe it's more of russian community thing?
    Maybe, because I never heard that.

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nope but gorges are sometimes called pig though.
    Omega_K2 wrote: »
    Awesome! I'm surprised it hasn't come up already :)
    Ill post the link at the top

• Glock21Glock21 France Join Date: 2013-04-30 Member: 185058Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stack -> when lots of "good" players in a server go in the same team (Aliens or Marines)