Hi All

ConcelorConcelor USA Join Date: 2014-01-13 Member: 193077Members
Howdy all
So I bought NS2 a long time back, I think it’s first sale on steam
But have only recently got into (loving every second of it…mostly), thanks to my friends and a great vid I saw of it on the internet
Since then I’ve been reading all I can on the forums here and steam this one si a ton better :-D

One question how do you find a good server, not only for a beginner but also one with players?
I’ve noticed servers I try are either empty, never stats because no one command and or never start because no seems to want to be aliens

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited January 2014
    I sort by player count, filter out all empty and full servers, and pick a server with a reasonable ping. Before you join, add it to your favorites so you can find it later -- and if it stinks, then remove it.

Regarding commanding, if nobody wants to do it, then try yourself. Even if you stink for a while, it can be enjoyable, as long as you ignore complainers.

Side note: I recommend picking servers with a max player count from 16-20. It reduces the potential for hitches and general mayhem. (Not to say there are not good large-count servers, but it isn't worth messing with IMO).
  • B3rTB3rT Join Date: 2013-02-14 Member: 183058Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I sort by player count, filter out all empty and full servers, and pick a server with a reasonable ping. Before you join, add it to your favorites so you can find it later -- and if it stinks, then remove it.
    Yep, filter the full and empty and you will see many joinable servers.
    Regarding commanding, if nobody wants to do it, then try yourself. Even if you stink for a while, it can be enjoyable, as long as you ignore complainers.
    But please, wait until more experienced players had a chance to get into the hive and not jump in immediately. If no one jumps in after a few minutes you are free to go, but keep in mind that a unexperienced commander can destroy the game for his team (I think that sounds a little bit harsher than I intent, but I don't know how to express it in a better way).

And If someone complains about you, just tell them that no one else wanted to. Then most of them shut up.
    Side note: I recommend picking servers with a max player count from 16-20. It reduces the potential for hitches and general mayhem. (Not to say there are not good large-count servers, but it isn't worth messing with IMO).
    I would even recommend only 14 to 18 slots ;) especially if you want to command. It is much simpler to command a small team (less request, less complains).
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Welcome child, to a rather addicting imitation of hell. Enjoy your stay!