I cannot build gorge tunnels no matter what I try [FIXED]

OvertureOverture Philly Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192981Members
edited January 2014 in New Player Forum
Even with everything researched by alien commander, I cannot build a gorge tunnel anywhere. It doesn't even show a silhouette of a gorge tunnel to be placed. I can't image I'm missing something here, it really seems broken. I can build everything else with the gorge no problem, but when I press '4' in the build menu nothing happens.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Hmm, only thing imho which could cause this would be that your gamefiles are corrupted,so please validate them via steam.
  • OvertureOverture Philly Join Date: 2014-01-11 Member: 192981Members
    I've verified the integrity of the game which didn't display any issues, then tried building a tunnel in Sandbox mode... no luck, still broken. I've then deleted the local game files and re-downloaded NS2, still broken. What the hell is wrong with my game?

I can't even find on google anyone else having this issue.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Could you add a tech_support.zip? If you dont know how to create it look here:
    Flayra wrote: »
    [...]
    OTHER ISSUES
    If your problem isn't listed here, browse this Tech Support problem and you may see an answer there. Otherwise, we may be able to help you with your individual problem. To get support from us:
    - Go into your \Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2 directory (usually C:\ but could be a different drive).
    - Find TechSupport.exe in that directory and run it, following the prompts for it to gather lots of info about your system.
    - Click "Save"
    [...]
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the help so far. Here's the output of the TechSupport.exe

(If a mod wants to move this thread to the 'Technical Support', that's fine)
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    First suggestion would be to try without any mods running, it looks like you have quiet a few loading from your log.

Should that fail, try http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131428/obby-s-full-nuke-ns2-guide-only-way-to-be-sure
    edited January 2014
    I've never manually installed any mod for NS2, but I had checked off some mod checkboxes from the main menu that apparently come with the game. I had also already tried deleting my local game files plus my /AppData/ in a previous attempt to fix. The only step I didn't follow that's listed in your link was unchecking the mods and restarting my computer so I guess I'll try that.

-Alright so I'm unchecking any mod listed in the main menu
    -I don't have any mods that I'm "subscribed" to in steam since I never attempted to do so... I'm guessing these would be listed under DLC if any were there?
    -I disabled 'Steam Cloud synchronization' for good measure
    -Deleting local content NS2 from steam
    -Deleting Steam\userdata\<steam ID>\4920\ (which I haven't tried before)
    -Deleting \AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\
    -<Restarting computer>
    -Reinstalling NS2 from steam library

I'll report back after these steps.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    the problem is the surface angle of most places aren't shallow enough for the tunnels ever since they "fixed" players "exploiting" tunnel placement.
    i still think tunnels should be back to placed anywhere on the floor.
    Hey it finally works! What a strange bug.

So from my all my previous attempts at fixing it, I think I narrowed it down to deleting "userdata\<steam ID>\4920" when doing a reinstall. It might be important to also delete "AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\" as well, but I think nuking the Options.xml in the userdata is the key. If so maybe a bug regarding how the tutorial video went off, I dunno.

Either way it's fixed. Big thanks to RoflcopterV22 and GhoulofGSG9.