When did the noob GL spam start...

Comments

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    I dont have a "big" problem with it. I do think it lends to boring game play. I would not call it OP because the skill ceiling is not an issue as skilled players arnt opting for GL over SG.

But i do dislike how high the skill floor is.... GL has become the Noob cannon, and while sure its great that finally a noob rine might end my 43-2 fade, I cant stand the lack of skill required. once 3-4 GL's start spamming nothing short of an onos dare approach. While this is true of 3-4 decent SG's at least dieing to a SG I can respect the persons twitch.

SO i dont know, I want to give the Greens a fighting chance, but spamming GL's is just annoying and leads to games of roulette.

I disagree with this. A leaping skulk should be able to go past the wall of spam and start chomping (unless the marines are organised to have 2 spam and 2 reload). Its fun to see a pack of marines panic when they all have gl and I am a skulk amid them. Very intense, because you know you might be able to take them all out but one wrong step (or one unlucky side step) and its goodbye skulk. The best part for me is trapping the last marine in a corner and taking a gl to the face killing me and marine (intentionally).
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    There's no problem with marines carrying GL's, easy prey as someone said, but I have always felt that vs. lifeform the damage is a bit OP. Imho you should reduce damage against lifeform, but increase radius to compensate. (Yes I'm aware that this'll make it an even more spammy happy ezmode weapon, but I rather that than die from a funnily bouncing grenade as a full hp lerk.)

they already take out structures like nobody's business. increasing splash will just make their niche role all the more powerful, this is not a solution.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It's a green wave thing. Often happens towards the end when newbie marines buy a shotty or two and lose it, dont have enough res for another one and think 'YOLO I'ma buy a nade launcher and hopefully my team will cover me until we get to a hive somehow'
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2014
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited January 2014
    As I said before, the problem isn't the GL itself. Its more a matter of its synergy with a hight player count and mines. A lone GL is easy pray for a fade or even skulk, 6 or more can turn an entire area into an instant death zone for anything that isn't an onos which becomes a pain when trying to defend against a hive push.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I'd already appreciate it if the grenades would have some kind of glowing particle effect around them or get the usual alien outline. So you actually have a chance to see and avoid them - especially with non-minimal infestation, where they can easily disappear in one of the infestation blobs (which is also true for cysts and dropped marine weapons).
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    It probably started when the game went on sale for $2.50, that’s odd I remember paying $40 for it back in 2010. That and whips don’t do what they were intended to do.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As I said before, the problem isn't the GL itself. Its more a matter of its synergy with a hight player count and mines. A lone GL is easy pray for a fade or even skulk, 6 or more can turn an entire area into an instant death zone for anything that isn't an onos which becomes a pain when trying to defend against a hive push.

Why are you defending a hive that is attacked by 6+ marines? This is literally an invitation to take the marine base down or at least force a beacon.

And if all fails, maybe not attacking frontal?
    _Necro_ wrote: »

Why are you defending a hive that is attacked by 6+ marines? This is literally an invitation to take the marine base down or at least force a beacon.

And if all fails, maybe not attacking frontal?

I'm talking about a large public server remember? 6+ Guys pushing a hive, 6+ defending and roaming the map, no coordination, just chaos. The magical explosive AOE zone means that no matter how you approach, you fall over mid air.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    But 24player servers are unbalanced in many other regards. GLs aren't even the biggest problem. And I don't see balance changes coming, that comfort those high player numbers. Because such a change will make the GL useless on normal servers.
    edited January 2014
    But 24player servers are unbalanced in many other regards. GLs aren't even the biggest problem. And I don't see balance changes coming that comfort those high player numbers. Because such a change will make the GL useless on normal servers.

Its not the GL that needs fixing though. The simplest solution would probably be to turn on friendly fire (maybe a plugin that just has ff on for explosives). Another might be a plugin that limits the amount of GLs you can field at any one time. These are just examples, not necessarily the "best" solutions.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    A quick look into the serverlist shows whats a "normal" server in pub play and thats 10v10+ . Not intended, but the major count of full servers. GL spam is really annoying in places like core access, eclipse. When they keep spamming them down the hallway. Still you can use vents and bite down all extractors while their occupied. Also I think this new-old "technique" will die out as soon as the rookie-flood gets experienced or leaves.
    This is strange. Most full servers I see in my browser are 16 - 18.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    But 24player servers are unbalanced in many other regards. GLs aren't even the biggest problem. And I don't see balance changes coming that comfort those high player numbers. Because such a change will make the GL useless on normal servers.

Its not the GL that needs fixing though. The simplest solution would probably be to turn on friendly fire (maybe a plugin that just has ff on for explosives). Another might be a plugin that limits the amount of GLs you can field at any one time. These are just examples, not necessarily the "best" solutions.

That's even worse. Griefing with GLs on purpose!
    Omega_K2 wrote: »

That's even worse. Griefing with GLs on purpose!

I think you meant to say "that's even better" unsarcastically of course. grenade launcher griefing sounds like a concept I. get behind.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited January 2014
    It started after a certain build that IronHorse told me I should refrain from mentioning or it may attract trolls/flamers. It started after the GL was given major buffs many months ago.
    edited January 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    It started after a certain build that IronHorse told me I should refrain from mentioning or it may attract trolls/flamers. It started after the GL was given major buffs many months ago.

do you mean, when you say major buffs, massive nerfs instead? the biggest buff was removing whip knockback after all.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    CrushaK wrote: »
    I'd already appreciate it if the grenades would have some kind of glowing particle effect around them or get the usual alien outline. So you actually have a chance to see and avoid them - especially with non-minimal infestation, where they can easily disappear in one of the infestation blobs (which is also true for cysts and dropped marine weapons).
    i suggested this internally and got disagreed with by all the other PTs, where were you when this happened? :(

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    i suggested this internally and got disagreed with by all the other PTs, where were you when this happened? :(

what's a pt and also I have never heard of a discussion about that.
    @amoral I meant when it got a major price drop.
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    pt = playtesters (i think)

lerk should fly around with a bb gorge, just like in ns1, so the alien team has their flying arcs/gls :)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    lerks dropping babblers! but yea PTs stands for play testers. and they have internal convos so that's why you wouldn't have heard about the discussion.
    they're just a group of people whose opinions count marginally more than the player base does. im still waiting on an answer for alien vision. as I don't think anyone liked the change. full stop.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    amoral wrote: »
    they're just a group of people whose opinions count marginally more than the player base does. im still waiting on an answer for alien vision. as I don't think anyone liked the change. full stop.

I think they've taken notice(!), but, for whatever reason, the alien vision problem has been given to player mods..
    RapGod wrote: »

I think they've taken notice(!), but, for whatever reason, the alien vision problem has been given to player mods..
    I think completely ignoring it is worse than not noticing in the first place, and more likely.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    IronHorse wrote: »

I don't know when you talked about that. I just know that it's a feature that got added to grenades in Tribes Ascend in one of its last patches because players were just annoyed by dying to random grenade spam that they could not see and thus not dodge.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    RapGod wrote: »

Exactly, it doesn't seem to matter what UWE do to Alien Vision, it gets complaints about every change, from one quarter or another. To solve it they open sourced the shader file and unlocked it from consistency checking. Now everyone can create their own unique Alien Vision that suits them :)
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    To solve it they open sourced the shader file and unlocked it from consistency checking. Now everyone can create their own unique Alien Vision that suits them :)
    That was a great change indeed. But still, rookies get the default AV everywhere, as they don't even know they *can* change it with mods. And everybody is stuck to default AV on servers that have not adapted their consistency settings yet (which is quite a few). Which is why a good default AV is still important.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    You missed the part where I said they unlocked it from consistency checking. AV shader is not checked as part of consistency check, so all AV mods are essentially whitelisted, so the 2nd point is moot, the first still remains.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    You missed the part where I said they unlocked it from consistency checking. AV shader is not checked as part of consistency check, so all AV mods are essentially whitelisted, so the 2nd point is moot, the first still remains.
    No, I understand what the CC unlock does. What I meant is that existing server configurations were not affected by the change. There are quite a few servers around that still check the shaders for consistency, and I think most of them do it unintentionally. Just like the servers that still run the old standard map list without Eclipse. Some may do that on purpose, but I guess most just forgot to update their config.
    Another thing that contributes to GL spam on pub servers: Marine commanders spending TRes by buing weapons for the team. A good thing in general, but what do they but them? GLs and flamers, over and over. :-O Sometimes there's jetpacks (which is good), but unless someone asks, you rarely see shotguns being dropped.