Water Brushes/Volumes

2»

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I was hoping to adopt it into the mod and amend it as necessary for my needs, rather than just using the mod plug and play. I would credit with the code as I have done with all credits on the steam workshop page and a readme in the mod itself.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Well, modifying the code, I rather you not because then it reflects against watermod if it were to break(the indestructible watermod would not be so indestructible (no really, it's indestructible)), I rather keep the code as is and add things to watermod if it passes Feha's strict code quality check :p. Plus, @Feha should sign off on this as well, as it's mostly his code, not mine. I don't know what you want it for, so pm me or something if it's super secret.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I think credits is given by including the files for the most part, since many of them start with "created by feha". That said, if there is a proper credits part in whatever you include it, I wouldnt mind me and samus being mentioned ;)

And just like samus said, I am fine with any sort of usage of my code, as long as you dont ruin someones work/life by using it to sue them.
    // ======= Use however you want, including for profit. Just dont sue anyone over it =======
    //
    // lua\Water.lua
    //
    // Created by: Feha
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Sorry, am I missing something with this suing thing? Is this an American thing or something? I just don't understand how you can, or why you would want to sue someone over code. It should be illegal to do so. I thought Samus was making some sort of in joke, but you guys are pretty serious on this suing stuff.
    It is mostly a joke with the meaning of "dont be a dick", but then there is also patent-trolls bending patent-laws for their personal profit. I am not well-versed in legalities regarding this sort of stuff, but I think someone who makes a derivative of some code may sue ppl using their derivative, despite the fact that the code they based theirs off was meant to be free for all to use as they wished. And if I tell ppl to use it exactly as they wish, wouldnt it actually include the usage of earning money in lawsuits?
    So basically what I say is that while I dont mind ppl using it however they wish, I am not ok with my code ending up as the cause for drama such as law-suits.
    I simply use the word sue since the same sentence has the word "use", and they are very similar, making it a sort of pun :)
    Cool, my plan is to use it my Proving Grounds so mappers can choose to make water in the maps if they so desire... I might get sued if I make a crap game, lool, but it is definitely for nothing than adding water to my mod, and maybe being altered to work with my mod better. I will of course offer any code changes back up the path, so you can use any changes I make if you wish :)
  • QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited January 2014
    i think this is pretty epic,
    is there any toturial on how to get this to work for my map? i ma plannig to make map with a little swiming pool in it.

i got the pool and all ready, but then i found out the water is solid :D

however i dont see how i can make a map dependent on a map? as maps are mods by thierzelf right? so a mod dependent on a different mod?
    I tryed to scramble it off google code, but the water stuff does not show up in editor sadly

also the sound on your ogininal video is missing
    edited January 2014
    @Quandrastorm:
    A shortened old post quoted to answer your question:
    Feha wrote: »
    Solaris wrote: »
    Also: If i want to use water in a map, how do I have to setup the editor? The launchpad doesn't give the option to define "dependencies", does it? So I can't set my map (which technically is a mod) to automatically require the water mod to be downloaded/installed/executed. And I can only load one mod, either the map or the water...
    To use water in a map, you have to open spark editor from launchpad with this mod selected. Or more specifically, with the selected mod's editor_setup.xml edited to contain the bottom section of said file in watermod (comments in said file exist to clearly state where watermod starts).
    So if you want to map using both, say, watermod and extraentities mod, you would merge the editor_setup.xml files.

If a map is loaded without the mod, but was modded to use it, all that spark does is that it skips the map-objects that doesnt have any linked lua entities. So in this case, you simply wont see or touch any water or valves.
    If a map was modded for more than one mod, and they use the built-in mod entry system (has a file "lua/entry/modname.entry)", all you should have to do is enable the required mods and load the map.
    However, I dont think you can make your map throw any errors to tell the user they need certain mods :(
    So there does not really exist any tutorial afaik, and I dont know of a way to make a mod dependant on another. Not that I know of at the least.
    So to repeat myself in a shorter manner, you have to:

Create your map using the editor loaded through a mod in launchpad that uses the provided editor_setup.xml
    and then either
    • Assume people that download the map read your mod description and learn they have to dl the watermod
    • Copypaste the watermod into your mod, which will increase modsize a little bit, and might sometimes require updating (but hard to know when).
    then the server loading the map just has to enable watermod along with any other mod that it requires. There shouldnt be any conflicts.

EDIT:
    in regards to missing audio, what is important for you would be directly after it cuts off:
    "you take and slide *silence*" would be something like "... slide the scrollbar down near the bottom. Here you find the entity 'Water', which you select, and then click anywhere on the map to create. Just like any other entity. ..."
    The rest is talking about the parameters you can set, but all of that is too old and there is a ton of new parameters not seen in that vid. Most should explain themselves by name, but if you feel a bit lost, you can hover the mouse over a parameter to see a short and descriptive text. After that it is just gameplay vid showing it in action.
  • QuandrastormQuandrastorm Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177128Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    thanks, i went for the include it with the map aprouch :D assuming poeple wont read descriptions and just want to subscribe to things to get them to work :D

i got it all working (sort off), however i got one issue left,
    the water doesnt realy show up in the editor, i can select the entity types water, water_spout and water_valve. (the latter two also show up models)
    however if i select water and try to make a brush its invisable, if i then find it again and with the selection tool and then goto scale tool it shows a 0; 0; 0 size brush enttity, if i scale it up it resets itself to 0; 0; 0 size.

so it doesnt work to create the water. however the entities do show in the list and the ns2_watertest map also works nicely ingame
    edited January 2014
    Oh right, forgot to mention one thing. For mapping you have to also make sure to have the models/water/water_model.model, since that is what is used to display the water in editor. The texture seen in editor is not necessarily same as the texture used in map, since there is a parameter to change the texture, but I dont know how to change it in editor, only ingame. luckily, that is what matters :)

Should not matter to you though, since you copied whole mod into yours. But it really ssomehow sounds as if this is the issue. Make sure that the mod you had loaded into launchpad also has that model.
    Thanks for the info, i did indeed have the models, however they wherent copied to the output directory, i copied them there manuely from modelsrc, and now it works fine. thanks. and did i mentional this mod is awsome :D
    i would like to point out that a big part of the sound of the video in the first post is missing

and i got it to work, now to make the room look beter :D
    That pool looks good enough for a swim :D
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    BTW, if you want to be able to build in your pool you need a ramp, and at the very least a ladder if the water mod were ever to break (which it will never) people are able to get out.
    edited January 2014
    i did add 4 ladders to it already, mainly to add more realism
    i dont know what you mean with a ramp tho.

i was thiking, if i may add a feature request. the ability to make a prop float, like maybe a water_float entity, that has a prob model field to.

also while i can set the texture of how my water looks ingame, it seems i cannot change the texture rotation or stretch values
    Just like the test level that comes with it...
    ah yes that ramp to walk out, yeh i could do that but it doesnt realy fit that type of pool i am aiming to :D
    Well, just don't expect to be able to build anything down there without a ramp. ;)
    about building down ther,e i think its a cool idea but i noticed that building take damamge under water anyway, so building underwater does not seem like a good idea at all :D, i am not sure if that changes if i disable the suffication

as for a ramp, i could add a stairs into the water, or does it realy have to be a ramp?
    Look at other maps. Any elevation change that will still allow building works. Stairs should therefor work fine I think. That you need a ramp to build comes from regular building code, not any limitations I added.

Regarding buildings taking damage underwater, it should only be marine structures. Aliens survive easily iirc. Disabling suffocation of the water should also result in marine structures not taking damage yes.

For floating props, yes its not that difficult to do, if there exist any spark entity that is the equivalent of source prop_physics. Or I suppose you could make a water_float extend grenades instead just disable all the exploding code.
    What would have to be done, is simply adding buoyancy mixin to it, with values that makes it overcome gravity. If you want an example, take a look at the exosuit files in watermod.
    I am a bit busy for a while tho, so if you want me to make it for you, it wont be anytime soon.

Regarding texture, yeah I am not sure how to stretch and such on textures through code. I am pretty sure that you there exists material files you can open in notepad and edit some values for this though, but it might get annoying if you have to tweak the texture for several water volumes, since then you will need just as many materials. Samus knows more than me about those files.
    If a modder knows more about how to change textures parameters through code, please share :)
    ill have a look at it, i do got many years of lua expreince, however i never realy understood how they made those classes work and what the the mixins do :D