PC Component Advice Needed

Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
Hi All,

I am looking to build myself a new PC, but before you all start suggesting everything, I have been very lucky to come into possession of a i5-4670k, so the CPU part of the upgrade is covered, all I need now is some guides to the rest of the system...

Advise away because I have no idea of what would be the best combination of boards etc for this chip.

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Well, I like checking out http://www.logicalincrements.com/ to get a basic idea of what is better than other stuff. Your chip is listed on there so you can see how good it is and a few boards that will work with it.

To see more options, head to http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/ . First select your country in the top right, then go down to 'socket' on the sidebar and find yours (I think it's LGA1150 for that CPU). This will show motherboards that only work with it. You can filter for other options on there and it will search popular retailers in your country for the best price. You can build a whole system on that site and it will point out any incompatibles it finds as well.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    While im not currently in the market for a new PC I appreciate the links you provided. Bookmarked for future use.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    While guides are very useful (and probably less biased than people), I think it's also very useful to ask for advice from different people.
    But first, we'd need to know what you're looking for! There's no "best build". There are specialty builds, bang-for-buck builds, budget builds, etc.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    By best combination I was explicitly meaning compatibility-wise. Not all components are created equal, and some motherboards and RAM just plain don't work together, that was mainly the advice I was after.

My Range on Motherboard is probably 150-230, I will need RAM, but I can use my current 560ti for another month or two if necessary till I upgrade the graphics.

PSU, Case (Zalman Z9), Keyboard (Saitek Eclipse), Mouse (G500) & Monitor (26" Samsung) are already in use in my current build, so not needed. It is just Motherboard, RAM and Cooler. Budget is around budget is around £400 for those items.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    My recommendation is as follows:

M/B: Asus Z87-Pro
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB
    Cooling: Corsair H60 LCS

No idea on what the price would be for you, I live in Australia and I'm guessing that you're in the UK
    In aus i can get these parts for $570 which is about £300

Hope this helps

EDIT: With that CPU you will need a M/B with an 1150 socket. it will NOT work with an 1155 socket
    EDIT: An 1150 board will use a Z87 or H87 chipset
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks Twig, I should have notified everyone I got the upgrade done on Tuesday, been spending the last few days playing with my new toy :D
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Oh well good for you :D
    Hope it all goes well