Skill, Level, and official and nonofficial servers.

2»

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    THIS is why the hive stats are totally and utterly meaningless. I'm happy to help design a system that isn't utterly flawed, but the current one is. I can't wait until the next patch where it's removed from the menu...
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lol, look at those plebs, not even a skill of 500 between them, must be awful.
  • SammyGSammyG England Join Date: 2013-05-07 Member: 185160Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Well atleast it got mendasps skill right huehehehehehehe :P
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Dat Mendasp KDR can't be denied though.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I spend entire games as gorge sometimes :( Gorge kills should count x5.

but gorge op. you get that extra few milliseconds of the marine trying to decide if he really wants to shoot something so damn cute.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I noticed recently that it started count the games where you play as a comm as a zero-skill match. If you manage to kill a couple of enemy units with your buildings (whips or turrets) or with a rifle while out of CC/Hive you'll have a ridiculous skill of 20-80 at max and your average skill drops significantly. If I play as a regular unit I usually get 300-500 skill points. So this system actively discourages playing as a commander.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    amoral wrote: »

but gorge op. you get that extra few milliseconds of the marine trying to decide if he really wants to shoot something so damn cute.

Until they remember how delicious Gorge Bacon is.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Benson wrote: »
    amoral wrote: »

Until they remember how delicious Gorge Bacon is.

petk would like a word with you, and your mass campaign of stomach led xenocide.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    everyone relax, a top 10 player from the leaderboard is here
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    In other news, Virsoul had a sub 100 skill rating a few days ago.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited February 2014
    Ruba,

Well, they don't play much on ranked servers, isn't that what the whole ranking thing is about? Allowing rookies to learn in marginal steps?

I started on that ranking system with 180 more hours than any of the best in the world *without knowing it even existed* just by playing public in USA+ instead of Oceania.

I think we are at apples and oranges.

Soz not a personal attack.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @OnosFactory
    no, as they would still skew the server skill heavily by being present, while the skill count would not show it.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Sorry I wasn't suggesting they play pubs, at least not in that form as a team, lol!
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Joined a server, commanded two wins and my skill level drops 50 points. I'm glad it's "finished". 8-}
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    Joined a server, commanded two wins and my skill level drops 50 points. I'm glad it's "finished". 8-}
    Nowhere does it say that "finished" means it needs no tweaks at all. "Finished" works, does what it's supposed to do, whether it does it bad or great. It's called "modifying, tweaking, and polishing". Unfinished would be it doesn't even send anything to hive at all and it needs to be hooked up.

Is NS2 finished? yes, it works, it does what it's supposed to do, whether or not it does it well, it's finished and not in a beta or an alpha.
    Is Kodiak finished? Yes, it is. Does this mean that Kodiak will cease to be worked on now that it's finished? No. It's going to continue to be modified, tweaked, and polished.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    finished
    ˈfɪnɪʃt/Submit
    adjective
    (of a task or activity) brought to an end; completed.
    "a preparatory drawing for the finished painting"
    (of a person's work) expert or accomplished.
    "his highly finished craftsmanship"
  • Infinity_XInfinity_X USA Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190195Members
    The only software I'd ever consider describing as "finished" is that which is no longer being supported in any way (be it active development or client/server troubleshooting) by anyone. It's a beautiful medium (most of the time) in that it's always in a state of flux.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    I agree with Rant and Joshhhy on this. Playing comp level or pugs will drop your "skill level" because the opposition is just as skilled or at least has a better idea of how to play the game. When we scrimmed Titus, my rank fell almost 100 points from just 2 games. It went from 480 to 350. It's now at 364. But is that fair? Not really, considering the caliber of players they have. I was pissed when I lost that many points but seeing how Titus has an average skill factor of 395.49 (as of now), yo Joshhhy, where's my Titus invite bro? lol
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @SamusDroid
    Any KDR based skill system is totally unfair and abusable. It's a team game and not egoshooter. You should swap it out with what the Google guy @moultano suggested: Proposal for abuse-proof skill system
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    @SamusDroid, you disagree with every post I make in these forums, even when I quote a DICTIONARY. Stop taking things so personally/seriously, you've even disagreed with jokes I've made in other threads.

I am going to ask the forum guys to include on profile, not just how many of each agree etc you have received, but also those you have given, so we can see the people who disagree just because they can, lol, like @AurOn2 and yourself :D
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    In other news, Virsoul had a sub 100 skill rating a few days ago.
    That's another thing. A commander that is sometimes forced out of the chair to save an IP or a phase gate, going slightly positive if he's lucky, gets a terrible skill rating despite being the commander of one of the best teams in the world. Riiiiight...... #-o
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    NeXuS wrote: »
    I agree with Rant and Joshhhy on this. Playing comp level or pugs will drop your "skill level" because the opposition is just as skilled or at least have better idea of how to play the game. When we scrimmed Titus, my rank fell almost 100 points from just 2 games. It went from 480 to 350. It's now at 364. But is that fair? Not really, considering the caliber of players they have. I was pissed when I lost that many points but seeing how Titus has an average skill factor of 395.49 (as of now), yo Joshhhy, where's my Titus invite bro? lol

___Name_________Time_________Skill______KDR
    (CL) Virsoul____82h 36 min_____157.9_____2.66

You can replace this guy. Obviously his skill score isnt up to par.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @SamusDroid, you disagree with every post I make in these forums, even when I quote a DICTIONARY. Stop taking things so personally/seriously, you've even disagreed with jokes I've made in other threads.

I am going to ask the forum guys to include on profile, not just how many of each agree etc you have received, but also those you have given, so we can see the people who disagree just because they can, lol, like @AurOn2 and yourself :D
    Baseless acusations! I actually throw more agrees around than is healthy.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

Yeah I don't think disagreeing with 3 posts is disagreeing with "every post on the forums" or you'd have more than 1000 disagrees.
    :|
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Is anyone still playing the game where you have to get as close as you can to zero without hitting it? My record was 2 :P

In other news I can command really well now!