The brick, or the bottle?

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
Okay, so I have finally finished "The Last of Us" on PS3 and I feel like talking about the game a bit, if anyone is in the mood.

It's true that the greatest dilemma it brings is the subject of this thread - I am firmly a member of the "brick" camp, but I have met a few bottlists.

Gameplay-wise, the game is nothing that much, a bit of shooting, sneaking, and really somewhat shoddy crafting, slightly above average. What this game does excel in though, is the atmosphere, the storytelling and the variety of situations it presents to the player. I especially like and cannot praise enough the changes of pace - intense combat for bare survival in cramped sewers of ruined buildings are mixed with lyrical moments like slowly riding on a horse through an autumn afternoon, talking about various memories from before. The characters are also very well done, and there are a few emotionally intense moments that, unlike in most movies, did not strike me as forced or overly pathetic.

Plus, I really like the ending - it was not the pathos-drenched stuff many movies and games fall for. I like games that leave lasting impressions you will ocassionaly remember after some time, in movies, games, and books, and "The Last of Us" certainly succeeded in this area.

Comments

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold

Oh, yes, and sorry, this one belongs to "Off Topic" as well, so mods, if you could move it, I would be grateful. Thank you.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    *Phased* to Off-Topic
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    To me, carrying around a brick just feels.. i dunno.. wrong? Where flinging, clobbing, or just simply carrying a bottle feels so fulfilling. Is it the CRASH and the CLANK that does it? I dont know. Maybe because in my early childhood, bricks were evil things trying to carve my head open (and succeeded on several occasions). Evil bricks. bricks bad.

Anyway, as there is literally no gameplay diference, it's all down to what sounds better and Feels better, looks better, and generally clicks, or clangs, correctly, to you.

Mind, you're using bottles no matter what you prefer, molotovs! :D

Silly question of the moment: If you had to make a bomb and you had a choice of brick or bottle for the shrapnel? Just out of choice, no details etc. i go with brick, bottle can be used for smashing heads open. ;D
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Well, I think there is a significant gameplay difference, because when you carry a brick, you can melee down a clicker in 3 hits with the brick, after which the clicker dies and the brick breaks to pieces. If you try to do the same with the bottle, it will break in just one hit leaving you empty handed facing an angry clicker. However, the bottle makes more noise when thrown, so it's better as distraction.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I really wouldn't get that close to a clicker unless i was A) gunna shiv the shithead or B) Ignoring it altogether and sneaking past. and since i play survivor alot, shivving the shitheads arent an option (need it for shiff rooms yo!) So having a bottle in my pocket to throw in one direction so i can sprint in another is a win win for me. i also still prefer that CRASH of a bottle so better brick stats be damned.