Spawn point protection.

NeemhNeemh Lithuania Join Date: 2013-12-31 Member: 191180Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Really annoing to see my char spawning in egg or in teleport after death and big bad ONOS or Marine in EXO waiting to kill me at same second after spawn. I even cant react... In other games are 1-3 secs of immortality (god mode) after respawn. I think it good idea to create in this game. Sure gate or egg can be destroyed but AFTER SPAWN 1-3 secs just to react is NEED.
If not god mode but maybe some shiled for marines that created from teleportation field that absorb 50% of damage for 1-3 secs? (Or egg shell with same ability.)

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Well, this is used tactically by lots of people. There is protection in combat, but it seems like hand holding in vanilla. If your base is compromised, you shouldn't be automatically protected just for spawning imo, when eggs are a vulnerable target at all times. Exos can squash eggs if they choose, then can wait for just one or two eggs to be up at a time, so as soon as the alien spawns, you can blast them right back into the death queue. This is very helpful when combating aliens w/ multiple hive locations, forcing them to choose to spawn somewhere else, and cloggin up the wait for those who are dead. I think it's a fine mechanic right where it is. Marines are vulnerable to chomps the second they spawn too.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    If there is a Onos in your base, and nobody is shooting it, you already lost the game (same with a Exo in the only alien base) [And 3 sec invulnerability is not going to change that]
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neemh wrote: »
    I even cant react...

push-to-talk: TEAM GO BASE THEY BITING IPS FFS!
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Combat has spawn protection for you :)

Also a smaller version, if you sit on an IP (or phasegate) when they spawn there is knockback, giving marines a few secs of breathing room. Lastly, if your com is worth his salt he can drop a medkit or two for you to get some bearings.

EDIT: also you can look around a see the thing about to be hitting you, if its an onos I don't think 3 secs will do you much good :P
  • NeemhNeemh Lithuania Join Date: 2013-12-31 Member: 191180Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there are possibility to stop spwn process? Coz i got x3 death to my K/D ratio. I just watch my marine die 3 times from waiting skulk... annoing. If no protection - lest make spawn possibility like "spawn if you want" sure with timer to kick player if he not spawn or not trying to spawn (if are free gates) for 30 - 60 secs. 1 minute will be enough to destroy base without my additional death and it will be enough to wait - may be nemey will get out. Just to say - Zerg rush in earlier game is annoing here. If not for everyone but in rookie servers it should be done. IMHO.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited January 2014
    [You can not stop the marine spawning process] I dont mean to toot my own horn here, but a (single) skulk can be easily avoided on spawn with a good strafe jump.

If you want spawn protection this bad, play a Combat server.

(Also, if you are worried about your K/D ratio in normal NS2 games, you have bigger issues than dieing on spawn)
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Just to say - Zerg rush in earlier game is annoing here. If not for everyone but in rookie servers it should be done. IMHO.

Early game rushes for either team are part of the game (similar to any RTS game), Its not that difficult to counter (mines/1-2 marines that are aware it can happen and are ready to respond). Like an RTS game if they fully invest in a base rush from the get go, countering the rush then pretty much putting the defending team in a very powerful position (15+ seconds with little to no contention for map control). The other scenario is one or two skulks rushing the base and killing your whole team...which isnt really an issue with unfair strategy, more unfair teams.

And has been said by others, K/D ratio in this game is not important. There are far more valuable things that can be done which involve little to no killing, and there are far worse things that can be done that dont involve dying. I find more often than not players obsessed with a good K/D A. are pretty useless, and B. rarely ever achieve it because they are too busy being useless.

I like to think of NS2 as an RTS game you just get to play on the ground, the players who grasp this idea quicker tend to understand the game better and in turn tend to end up with those shiny K/Ds you seem to be after.

As an added point I would also ignore skill/KD ratings on the Hive, its far from finished and really is not an accurate depiction of who is good at the game. For example I think my "skill" is rated higher than the average Godar player which is total crap :p
  • Ren26Ren26 Join Date: 2013-06-30 Member: 185811Members
    Sometimes I buy a shotgun for 20 pres, it would be nice if I got god mode so that I cannot die and lose shotgun. Im sad if I lose shotgun! so god mode thanks.
  • NeemhNeemh Lithuania Join Date: 2013-12-31 Member: 191180Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ren26 wrote: »
    Sometimes I buy a shotgun for 20 pres, it would be nice if I got god mode so that I cannot die and lose shotgun. Im sad if I lose shotgun! so god mode thanks.

Use cheats and get banned. Easy. You will never die after that.

Lots of disagree here with me, but i still think that this annoing. To see Onos waiting me on respawn to one shot kill. Another idea - possibility to choose gate to rewpawn.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Respawn kill is the way of the game. You wouldn't find any non-rookie in here that would agree in removing it (I assume). You should get over your k/d ratio and realize that there is more important objectives in NS2.
    Another idea - possibility to choose gate to rewpawn.
    That on the other hand is a good idea. Note that Aliens can choose spawn location too (Open map and click, when you're dead).
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    What I find much more annoying is that players, who join a game shortly after it started, do not spawn in eggs or ips, but just somewhere in the base alive and ready to go.
    I've got killed multiple times by some random marine jumping in the game late when I was rushing the ip ^^
    So after all - i am for this two abilities "If not god mode but maybe some shiled for marines that created from teleportation field that absorb 50% of damage for 1-3 secs? (Or egg shell with same ability.)" and "Another idea - possibility to choose gate to rewpawn." for marines. First one will help to gain main base back for EACH side and not to just wath how they die in respawn point from Onos or Mech. Another is just to balance Marines and Aliens, coz Aliens can choose egg to hatch.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You have fellow Marines. That's your spawn protection. If those are gone, your team is out of position or dead. If they can't get back in time to save your ass, you're probably losing. NS2 is about teamwork, and if your team isn't helping you, you're usually screwed.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Begone filthy casual.
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No spawn protection. It's part of the game. While it's unfortunate of the one second delay between actually hatching/spawning and seeing it on your screen in first person, this can mostly be alleviated by holding down movement keys while dead and occasionally tapping your jump key. Also make sure you position your mouse correctly.

Most of your posts is just bad game play. One mine will kill a skulk. You get three to use. It's easy to cover two IPs and the Obs just by that. Remine when they are destroyed.
    If there is a base rush, the commander has many options available. He can beacon with an Obs. He can power surge if the power is out and a robot factory is powered somewhere else. He can nanoshield buildings. He can even hop out of the chair to engage the one skulk or two that's biting your IP - even if he dies he should of have bought enough time and done enough damage for the other person to spawn completely and finish off the damaged skulks, especially if he timed when he jumped out. He can spam medpacks on and around the IP. Hell if he's desperate and things are bad he can even sell up and relocate the base. There are many options. Usually people capping res nodes that are secondary to your base, or people in the middle will head back to base to help out, or phase back to base. But usually jumping out of the spawn and shooting the skulk will be enough - even if you only do half the damage on him the next person to spawn will kill him.

This is not another game. This is Natural Selection. Only the fittest will survive.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    On your own? Marines be all like:

Skulk on your IP, get ready for some jumpNstrafeNshootNkillORBkilled action
    Onos on your IP, jumpNstrafeNshootNdie them Onos will Stomp your behind

Now if you get your buddies to shoot them damn biting things of your point! Now we're talking about your "spawn protection" ;;)
    I repeat. "So after all - i am for this two abilities "If not god mode but maybe some shiled for marines (and shell for aliens) that created from teleportation field (or egg shell) that absorb 25-50% of damage for 1-3 secs?" and "Another idea - possibility to choose gate to rewpawn." for marines. First one will help to gain main base back for EACH side and not to just wath how they die in respawn point from Onos or Mech. Another is just to balance Marines and Aliens, coz Aliens can choose egg to hatch."

P.S. Discussion closed. I wrote it for devs. not for "skilled" mostly players.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Please don't stop. I want to hear more on how to beat the onos vs. spawning marine 1v1 boss level. I clearly deserve a chance to solo him somehow. Is there a cheat code? Devs please fix.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    I am not a skilled player, I finish half-way up in a rookie server, but if you want spawn protection, you really don't understand the concepts of this game. The whole point of finishing this game is taking the enemy base. How would you be able to take the enemy base, if they all spawned with protection and beat your asses out?

I see, you want games that never end....

Mods, He has advised the discussion is closed.....
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I am not a skilled player, I finish half-way up in a rookie server, but if you want spawn protection, you really don't understand the concepts of this game. The whole point of finishing this game is taking the enemy base. How would you be able to take the enemy base, if they all spawned with protection and beat your asses out?

I see, you want games that never end....

Mods, He has advised the discussion is closed.....
    Contrary to your belief, they are not a troll. They're just not a native english speaker and possibly very young. They also come from other games with spawn protection and most likely have never played that many different games or even a game without spawn protection before NS2.

Anyway, even if you and I completely disagree with them they still have a right to express themselves: To communicate their thoughts and experiences on the game, and post suggestions that they think would make the game better (at least, better for them).
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    Who said they were a troll? I was just expressing my opinion. In response to the poster he was saying his viewpoint was for low skilled players rather than pro's. I gave a viewpoint as a low skilled player who understands that spawn protection doesn't work in NS2 because of the game mechanics. If he no longer wishes to discuss the subject, then the mods should lock this thread, in case it does get out of hand, some of the real forum trolls have yet to post :)

I don't know what sinister interpretations you have put on my words, but the intention was good. :D

The post above mine was sarcastic as hell, I can't see why you picked mine out :P
    @Soul_Rider - Sorry man, sometimes I get ... agitated. At the time it did seem that you were implying that they were trolling. But we're getting very offtopic here, and I have already made my points previously in the thread so I have nothing more to add to the actual topic.

@Neemh - This is the ideas and suggestions forum. It is intended for other players to comment on the suggestions posted and give their own opinions of the ideas that the topic brings to the table. You can't really just say 'Discussion closed' - that's not how it works around here.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2014
    jostol wrote: »
    @Neemh - This is the ideas and suggestions forum. It is intended for other players to comment on the suggestions posted and give their own opinions of the ideas that the topic brings to the table. You can't really just say 'Discussion closed' - that's not how it works around here.
    Pretty much this yeah, we like to keep discussions open unless it is specifically requested to close a thread by the OP or the thread could potentially start WW3. I don't see that "discussion closed" remark as a direct request to close this one yet :)

Also this is a game which is going to be balanced around players who know the game mechanics and certainly not balanced around just 1v1 encounters. And it is very much possible to win the spawn camping engagement versus a Skulk. Versus an Onos in your base, you really need to make use of the team aspect of the game. Either other marines in or near your main base or using beacon to teleport all marines back to base, if things get too dangerous. And the commander could drop medpacks or a potential nanoshield, if he thinks the respawners need that assistance.

As mentioned before a "3 sec" damage sponge (medpack/nanoshield, it's already in game at a resource cost) or godmode, won't help much against an Onos if you are indeed on your own. And it would be quite overpowered if you already have marines in base helping to defend and way too powerful against a Skulk.

If you have an Onos in main base killing off your marines, your team is not in the correct position and failed for not spotting it and the alien team were successful in their sneaky offensive strategy. It's not just an FPS it's als an RTS and they would then have failed their RTS exam so to speak :D
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    P.S. Discussion closed. I wrote it for devs. not for "skilled" mostly players.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but guess who the devs will use to test your idea? The skilled players. ;)