3D printing the Aliens [now with results!]

2»

Comments

• OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    That is truely amazing, keep it up! :)
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    So is the support material somewhat different than the actual model (thickness/strength etc) so that you can more easily remove it or did you basically end up carving everything freehand? The belly and chin in the finished piece look somewhat textured and detailed.

Also, does there exist 3d printing methods (likely much more expensive) that don't have the limitations this one does? I could swear I've seen information about 3d printing with moving parts and such.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    sotanaht wrote: »
    So is the support material somewhat different than the actual model (thickness/strength etc) so that you can more easily remove it or did you basically end up carving everything freehand?
    Yes, you can somewhat see this in the first picture from the bottom. The actual model has a solid hull, and the support structure consists of vertical plates. I think they did the best they could to make them easy to separate. Still, they need to stick together during printing.

The belly and chin in the finished piece look somewhat textured and detailed.
    Yes, that's the unavoidable area where the support structures stick to the model. With this kind of printer technology, it can only be removed manually. I could have sanded this down to make it smoother, but decided against it as I only had that one print, and wasn't sure if the result would look better than the way it is now.

Also, does there exist 3d printing methods (likely much more expensive) that don't have the limitations this one does?
    Absolutely, there are far more advanced printers out there. Multiple colors, multiple materials in one print, even metal. But they are pretty much unaffordable for private use, as you suspected. :-)

One interesting thing I read about are 3d printers with two nozzles (for two materials in one print), where one nozzle prints the normal material, and the other prints the support structures with a material that can be removed by a special liquid. So you just print, toss the model into that liquid, and in theory, you get a perfectly clean model out. That would be a rather simple upgrade to printers like the one I used. With that, you could also print complex hollow structures, like ball bearings.

I could swear I've seen information about 3d printing with moving parts and such.
    Well, you can print moving parts with single-material printers already. But there are restrictions on the geometry, and you may need to do some manual cleanup. But the printers are improving rapidly.

Edit: found the link for the dissolvable support material experiment
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    He's shiny, really cool!
  • glhglh Join Date: 2011-09-11 Member: 120860Members, Subnautica Developer
    If anyone wants to build his own printer, I highly recommend to check RichRap blog and Johann Rocholl delta printers. It is a long run to have everything setup and be able to print something with a homemade printer but there is so much to learn from this process I would do it again without hesitation.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    that picture doesn't look right...
    edited January 2014
    I don't see why @joshhh it is just a woman sitting on a gorge...
    Btw I can remove it if you think this is shocking material...
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    not offensive lol. just odd. Its a leapfrog marine on a gorge lol. I want to see a marine surfing on a gorges back while its belly sliding.
    edited January 2014
    sorry, I misunderstood, it was easier to print this way and I am bad with bones and poses.
    I stop polluting awesome MrFangs thread now.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    glh wrote: »
    sorry, I misunderstood, it was easier to print this way and I am bad with bones and poses.
    I stop polluting awesome MrFangs thread now.
    Actually, I think that Gorge rodeo is pretty hilarious. :D What software did you use to arrange the models and poses? 3DS?
    Alright, going to answer some questions that weren't covered by the "making of".

Soul_Rider wrote: »
    If you could confirm these things are paintable with model paints, [...]
    According to this site, they are: "PLA prints generally work well with acrylic paints. [...] They can also be painted with cellulose spray paints, or oil paints, but acrylic paints work the best."

GISP wrote: »
    @MrFangs Thats AWESOME! Can i have it? <3
    Err... I think I'll keep this one ;-) But nice try ^^

COLSWEETO wrote: »
    Really impressive, good job. How long did it take you to convert the format?
    After figuring it all out, the actual conversion is fast, a few seconds only. What takes a while is the layer calculation by the printer software - the step that leads to the cut-open view I posted. On larger models, this can take some minutes, and has to be redone after each modification (scaling, alignment, ...).

Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I'll order a complete set off you :D
    NeXuS wrote: »
    I would gladly fork over my hard earned cash for a full set.
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Time to put all my years at Games-Workshop painting skills to good use ;-)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Rounded out a bit, I could see how that would make a great shift knob for my car... 0.0
    NeXuS wrote: »
    No need to paint. Just GIMME GIMME!!!
    Sorry to put a damper on these expectations, but as I don't own the printer myself, I can only print a few models here and there. Also, going from "personal printing for fun" to "shipping merchandise" has a *lot* of strings attached, which I don't think I'll have the time to handle right now. The best I can do is to share all insights I gain, so others don't have to start from scratch.

One option to get a print might be 3d printing services in your area, or online. I haven't used any of these, but I hear they are popping up everywhere. Even some copy shops seem to offer 3d printing now. With an online service, it might even be less work, as they will probably clean up the model for you already.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @glh. Til I saw the pics, I thought the marine was mounting the Gorge in a ummmm bad way. As @joshhh said, my first thoughts were "what the!!!!". I think a marine surfing on a belly sliding gorge would be awesome.
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Very impressive. I'm jelly. Can't wait to see the full potential of this technology at the consumer level. If i was a small parts manufacturer I would be very worried about the next 5-10 years.
    edited January 2014
    @MrFangs yes this is from 3ds, you can unhide the Biped (Bones) through the LayerManager, then arrange the bones position/orientation
    Once you are happy with your pose you may have to collapse the mesh modifiers (right clic / convert to Mesh or convert to Poly is one way to do it) before exporting it to your slicer software (I use .stl format for that and slice in Slic3r). You won't be able to modify your pose once the modifiers have been collapsed so you better have a .max backup before doing this.

@Vengaboy 3d printers are not a good choice for production in series, just good for prototyping cause it is really slow, it still can be used to make molds by the way. http://www.thingiverse.com/ has tons of 3d prints with source files.
    Woah! You actually used my idea.
    I would buy one of those. :D
    glh wrote: »
    3d printers are not a good choice for production in series, just good for prototyping cause it is really slow, it still can be used to make molds by the way. http://www.thingiverse.com/ has tons of 3d prints with source files.
    Yes, thingiverse is an excellent source for 3d models. It's quite amazing just to browse and see what kind of creative stuff people come up with.