vote kick should be for team only

AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
A kick vote is usually cast to kick either an abusive player or an AFKer, players from the opposite team don't usually vote yes and here's why:

1. They don't know if the players is being abusive or not since they can't see/hear their team chat, so they usually vote no or don't vote at all (which counts as a no).
2. Players don't want to vote kick AFKers on the opposite team because it benefits them, I have heard people say this many times "Don't vote yes, let them be stuck with AFKers, it's better for us."

Comments

• BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Well if people have counters to this just have one which allows both teams to vote and another that just allows one.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agree, and adding on to this: people who don't vote shouldn't be counted as a "no," they should be counted as abstentions.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Amb wrote: »
    A kick vote is usually cast to kick either an abusive player or an AFKer, players from the opposite team don't usually vote yes and here's why:

1. They don't know if the players is being abusive or not since they can't see/hear their team chat, so they usually vote no or don't vote at all (which counts as a no).
    2. Players don't want to vote kick AFKers on the opposite team because it benefits them, I have heard people say this many times "Don't vote yes, let they be stuck with AFKers, better for us."

I must frequent different servers, 1000 plus hours, never once heard that.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Agree, and adding on to this: people who don't vote shouldn't be counted as a "no," they should be counted as abstentions.

That would certainly help with the map voting where most people don't vote because they just don't care or even know which map is which.

I agree with the OP that kickvoting should be teambased. The only time the opponent team has a reason to kick is when they suspect hacking, but that is far too open to abuse not to mention the fact that they are simply wrong 99% of the time.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014

2. Players don't want to vote kick AFKers on the opposite team because it benefits them, I have heard people say this many times "Don't vote yes, let they be stuck with AFKers, better for us."

Don't forget that people like to abuse this in terms of "let's try to kick the best player(s) of the other team because we are loosing"
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    How do other games handle people that dont vote? like cs:go or tf2
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Asraniel wrote: »
    How do other games handle people that dont vote? like cs:go or tf2

it's the same, not voting counts as veto, which is why it's so hard to get a vote going 99% of the time.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Not voting really should be a nonvote, as opposed to a veto, if people dont gaf enough to vote, really, their lack of voting should NOT be counted. its stooped.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Would that not be a problem if up against a cheater?
    lwf wrote: »
    Would that not be a problem if up against a cheater?

Like I said:
    The only time the opponent team has a reason to kick is when they suspect hacking, but that is far too open to abuse not to mention the fact that they are simply wrong 99% of the time.

You should be able to votekick a hacker. However, it is much more common to abuse the votekick by claiming that a good player is hacking in order to have them removed. If this were the only reason to use the votekick feature it would be a strong argument to remove votekick entirely due to too much abuse. In fact many servers in many games disable the feature for this very reason.

If someone is hacking there should be other options to deal with the situation, and votekick is a fairly poor option to begin with since they can simply come right back anyway.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    yes = yea vote
    no = nay vote
    abstain = no vote. That way when its 10 yea to 2 nay votes (83% pass) the vote will still pass even when you didn't get the 75% you need if you count then entire server rather than 75% of the votes (IIRC KKG server is 75%)
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    What happens if people are in the middle of a fight and dont vote because of that?
    Asraniel wrote: »
    What happens if people are in the middle of a fight and dont vote because of that?

Either they don't care or else they do care and it's just as likely they missed their chance to vote "yes" as "no". Either way they would count neutral.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Not voting really should be a nonvote, as opposed to a veto, if people dont gaf enough to vote, really, their lack of voting should NOT be counted. its stooped.

Indeed, when we go to the polls, say 65% of people turn out to vote - do we say "bummer, 35% of the seats in parliament will have to be empty" No, we count the 65% as 100% and scale results from there.
  • KingKahuna[KKG]™KingKahuna[KKG]™ Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9507Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    (IIRC KKG server is 75%)

Not true. We have vote kick completely disabled. So, it can't be used on my 7 servers at all. It was abused to much. Have no intentions of turning it on regardless of any changes. There is always at least 2 admins on each server, and afk kicker is set to kick afk players.

If there is an issue, and you need an afk player kicked, we have a TeamSpeak3 channel open to reach an admin right away. ts55.gamespeak.com:9502
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow

2. Players don't want to vote kick AFKers on the opposite team because it benefits them, I have heard people say this many times "Don't vote yes, let them be stuck with AFKers, it's better for us."

An exception to this would allowing both teams to vote on kicking Spectators and people in the Ready Room, otherwise I agree completely. Kicking people in the ready room is needed because not every server runs a kick afk script, and the ability to kick spectators is needed otherwise trolls would just go spectate and spam chat messages and just taunt that you can't kick them.

amoral wrote: »

I must frequent different servers, 1000 plus hours, never once heard that.
    You must indeed, as it is quite common on many public servers I play on. I've seen this happen too often: Ready room gets randomized, five minutes into a game there's still a skulk or marine at spawn not moving with 0 0 0 on the scoreboard, you call a kick vote and announce that the player is AFK and then face 3+ No votes.

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I was on a green server with my three green friends, been commanding aliens. There was one veteran dude (I know him) who was oneshotting everyone with his shotty (50:3) and we couldn't do anything. Eventually, one of our greens started a kick vote against him and it was successful. That is how we won.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    I have been saying this for a while, but a lot the playtesters agree against me. Not voting should NOT count as a no vote. Having a 10 yes 1 no but failing is just absurd. B-) I think it you are trying to kick someone on your own team it should be team specific but if you try kicking someone on the other team it is public, but that's a lot more complicated and would most likely cause bugs.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vote kick should be a team only vote, if you dont vote, your loss, you shouldnt be counted at all, there for it should encourage more players to vote.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited January 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I have been saying this for a while, but all the playtesters agree against me. Not voting should NOT count as a no vote. Having a 10 yes 1 no but failing is just absurd. B-) I think it you are trying to kick someone on your own team it should be team specific but if you try kicking someone on the other team it is public, but that's a lot more complicated and would most likely cause bugs.
    I was not in that vote, strange because I am in your team.

PS: Oh I see, I probably didn't vote (away), so it counts as a No.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    I like this but, wanna repeat what @jostol said about being able to kick afks in the ready room. In a full serv, especially ones with smaller max player counts, afks in rr are pretty annoying sometimes. Would still need to be able to boot them or specs that won't join up on full servers causing uneven teams.

Makes me wonder though if it would make it easier to abuse kicks within team. I've played more than a few games where a couple trolls on same team will repeatedly start votes to kick their own comm or players simply to troll. Less needed votes seems like it's make it easier for trolls to sway greens inti f1'ing. But I guess trolling is a whole separate issue anyways.
    2cough wrote: »
    Makes me wonder though if it would make it easier to abuse kicks within team. I've played more than a few games where a couple trolls on same team will repeatedly start votes to kick their own comm or players simply to troll. Less needed votes seems like it's make it easier for trolls to sway greens inti f1'ing. But I guess trolling is a whole separate issue anyways.

That couldn't be easier. When the trolls cast a vote, everyone vote no, and then start a new vote to kick the trolls and everyone vote yes.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Yea, except those who don't vote are not going to vote no to the troll because they don't vote, remember?
    Then because you're not counting them.. And because the two trolls convinced only 1 other person to vote kick that comm.. (or if no one else votes at all) They win every time.

Servers have been disabling the vote kick, as mentioned, for the abuse and griefing that occurs. Consider that thoroughly when you advocate for making it exponentially easier to do so.
    Requiring half the amount of people to convince than currently, combined with not counting non votes is just clearing the way for non administrated servers (the only time votes are needed) to be trolled further.

If it weren't for these trolls (which obviously occur) I'd be on board.. But that's not the case
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vote kick I understand, but vote random ready room no vote should be classed as nothing.
    Can't kick the guys sitting in the ready room because of kick disabled :(
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    I was on a server that got stuck with AFKs on both teams yesterday. 5 AFKs, vote to kick one of them and we would get 11 yes 0 no and vote failed. Completely broken system.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yup the amount of games that have had people sitting in the ready room or afk in the teams ugh.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    If it weren't for these trolls (which obviously occur) I'd be on board.. But that's not the case

The whole point of having a vote kick system is to get rid of the unwanted player such as the trolls and I'm sure the majority of people in this thread agrees that the system is broken and needs to be fixed.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Here's an interesting question. If there are enough trolls in a server to stop any votes passing to kick them. Are they really the trolls? Or are you the troll as you are the minority trying to ruin THEIR fun. Same goes for passing votes.

So I don't see why this would be an issue.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Here's an interesting question. If there are enough trolls in a server to stop any votes passing to kick them. Are they really the trolls? Or are you the troll as you are the minority trying to ruin THEIR fun. Same goes for passing votes.

So I don't see why this would be an issue.

From my experience 2 or 3 people is plenty to shut down a vote on even the largest servers because there are always some AFKs and some people that don't vote
    Yeah the vote system is not working very well :(
    I don't play many other games so I couldn't compare it with what they use?