Expectations for submarine combat

2»

Comments

• OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    I haven't watched anime in years....
    looking at it now... I feel like japanese people think weapons are made of magic and fueled by unicorn poops.
    swords the size of andre the giant, guns the size of a small apartment in new york and bouncy boobs everywhere.

But getting to the point... I don't think that style of combat will fit the style that UWE is going for with this game.
    But its cool, I guess. I think from some other thread it was mentioned that combat might be non-lethal. Deterrents like electric pulses or clouds of chemicals to escape sea creatures.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Res wrote: »
    I'd argue there still needs to be some sort of overarching goal(s) for it to be considered a game. To crossover from being considered a virtual experience/simulation to a game.

We're actually not sure ourselves if there will be an overarching goal. But it's possible there won't be.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    edited January 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    SteveRock wrote: »
    "Game" has become a pretty useless word, as people have pretty different ideas about what is a game. Let's talk specifics instead: we don't intend to make a purely aesthetic, virtual aquarium type of experience. We intend to focus more on non-violent challenges and gameplay, such as stealth, AI manipulation, and environmental hazards. There is way more to underwater than just shooting fish.

So, there wont be violence. What kind of action should we expect? Also, would you think that this game would be considered casual?

Also how are you feeling about mod support, in comparison to NS2?

Again, id rather we discuss in specifics rather than broad labels like "casual". What specifically do you mean when you say "casual"?

As for action you should expect, I already listed some in that quote.

Mod support is not a priority right now, so we haven't done much work in it, but we want to do it after we make the game foundation solid. Yes, it will be harder to do after the fact, and that's something I'm just going to accept.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Usually casual means "no challenge"... I myself look down upon those who play games casually just because I think they're missing out on much better games, as those who tend to "casual" game generally buy rather sub-par games or handheld games (both of which I don't like).

more importantly though, casual games generally are too easy or just don't have much of a "conflict" going on... which I'm not that worried about in this game lol.
  • STARSBarrySTARSBarry Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67671Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    im not actually a fan of the idea, of submarines with.... effective weaponry. I think id like the feeling more of the futuristic minisub at max. I mean I think the game would be alot more atmospheric if you arnt the most dangerous thing in the water. Like the minisub means that small predators are no threat, along side most mediums, but for the larger creatures you need to delay and run, Perhaps dropping behind the sub a cloud of chum to distract them as you jet off to a location far away. However thats my opinion and im sure just as many people would prefer to see sci fi subs battling it out instead.

perhaps a giant ocotopod has latched itself onto your mini sub causing no damage, but massivly hindering your craft... do you overcharge your engine... causing an EMP shockwave across the hull of the craft shuting down your systems for several minutes scaring it away but leaving you vulnerable to much more dangerous foes while the effect wears off, or do you just leave it there, till it gets bored and detaches limiting your crafts capabilities for the moment but not completely ruining your chance of a perfect mission run, and if something big does come along with him still there, hes gonna run off scared anyway perhaps distracting the foe for you
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Seldkam wrote: »
    Usually casual means "no challenge"... I myself look down upon those who play games casually just because I think they're missing out on much better games, as those who tend to "casual" game generally buy rather sub-par games or handheld games (both of which I don't like).

more importantly though, casual games generally are too easy or just don't have much of a "conflict" going on... which I'm not that worried about in this game lol.

I enjoy challenging games, but do not have the time to play any more than casually (which means they are not as major a part of my life as school and work)

I think this is what Steve meant when he wanted to avoid the term "casual".

To you, casual means easy and lame, to me, it means how much time I can invest in a particular hobby.
  • SeldkamSeldkam Join Date: 2014-01-01 Member: 191213Members
    Undoubtedly my definition will change with time, but atm I don't have as many obligations as someone who is older... so again, this is a problem with using a word like casual :p
    @flayra is trying his best to make sure the game never feels "grindy". We don't want you to have to spend like an hour doing something totally mindless just cuz you have to. If you need to find a bunch of a certain resource, we want to make sure it's interesting to do so - not just a matter of mindlessly doing a boring task. How difficult those tasks will be, I think we're less sure. I don't think we're making Counter-Strike under water, so if that's the level of challenge you want, you may be disappointed. But we're not making Farmville underwater either.