3D printing the Aliens [now with results!]

MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
If all goes well, I'll have access to a 3D printer soon. Quite naturally, I'm planning to print cute little Gorges and fearsome Fades with it :)

Has anyone tried this already? I'm not afraid of digging into tech stuff, but I have no experience with 3D modelling at all. The main thing I don't know is how one would define the pose of the model to print... standing, attacking, running etc. I know that Poser is used for stuff like that, but could it be made to work with the NS2 models?

(All for personal use only, of course.)

Comments

• joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    get permission from uwe and then sell them as figurines for the NS2 RPG (table top)...or paper weights, i dont care, i just can haz!
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Can you print pluchies?
    :D
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's very expensive to 3d print. Open up 3DS Max and mess with the posing. You can't do it like you can in the Viewer though. You'd have to manually move the bones and export the model like that I assume.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    I would be willing to pay for a cool lerk or gorge figure

SpecOps marine too :D
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Paajtor wrote: »
    Can you print pluchies?
    :D

I'm afraid not :D But I sure would like to ^^

Still hoping that UWE comes up with official ones...
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Whoa, if you actually manage to do that, I'd love to get my hands on a set of those figurines :D
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's very expensive to 3d print.

Hmm... with commercial high-end printers or materials (metal etc.), maybe. The one I'll have access to (Ultimaker) usually prints PLA, which is around 30€/kg. So typical objects cost a few euros only. The downside is that you can only print in one material and in one color... high-end printers can combine them.
    Open up 3DS Max and mess with the posing. You can't do it like you can in the Viewer though. You'd have to manually move the bones and export the model like that I assume.

So the .model file is actually a .3ds file? I haven't been able to find much information about it because the extension name is so generic.
    Ok, I found some information in the NS2 modding guide. It seems that the .model file is the native format for the Spark engine, and it is generated from Colloda (.dae) files. Those source .dae files are not in the NS2 folder, though. So to get anything 3d printed, one would either need the .dae files, or a way to convert the .model files back.

All required information should be in the .model files, but they are probably in a custom format. Does anyone have more insight on this?
    edited August 2013
    Alright, it is a bit simpler than that. I just found assets/modelsrc.zip, which contains .max files.

Unfortunately, these can only be opened with 3DS Max to convert them to another format. I would like to get them into Blender, which can import .obj (that seems to be the recommended way for importing from 3DS). Alternatively, Blender could also read .dae files.

Does anyone have 3DS Max so he/she could convert the .max files? I don't have it, and no, I don't want to "download" it from the shady corners of the net ;)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Great Stuff.

If you could confirm these things are paintable with model paints, I'll order a complete set off you :D

How much did that cost to print?

@Hugh - Have you seen this yet...?
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    GORGIE TIME
    GORGIEGIEGOIRIOGERGEEIEIEIEIE
    Gtqegx1.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    How much did that cost to print?
    At this 35mm scale, material cost is almost negligible. The printer (which I don't own myself) costs from 1.200€ (kit) to 1.700€ (assembled), though.

The main "cost" of creating this is time. Setting up/calibrating the printer, test runs, checking it, starting over if something goes wrong etc. The final print took several hours, don't know exactly how many. And then I worked about 4 hours on post-processing (cleaning up the model, carving gaps), although that will most likely become faster with experience.

Edit: And of course, creating the print-ready 3d model file in the first place. Format conversions, aligning etc.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    If you could confirm these things are paintable with model paints, I'll order a complete set off you :D
    Yeah, I'm curious about that as well. It should be possible, as PLA is basically like hard plastic. There should be some kind of paint that doesn't dissolve it.
  • COLSWEETOCOLSWEETO Join Date: 2013-02-26 Member: 183349Members
    Really impressive, good job. How long did it take you to convert the format?
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2014
    I would gladly fork over my hard earned cash for a full set.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Do Like. Would Buy.

Please take my money.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I got the same but in white, not yet painted. And an onos and a fade. but the fades arms are broken :)
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Asraniel wrote: »
    I got the same but in white, not yet painted. And an onos and a fade. but the fades arms are broken :)
    I suppose they would have to be with the layer printing limitation. You could probably design the arms as a separate piece to be attached later.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I think i'll just model them out of something and when you paint over you cant see that anymore
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    That's pretty cool stuff. Good luck with the rest and with the paint.
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    This is amazing! Nice work!
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    You can now make structures and objects with a printer?

Wonder if this will be taken far enough to make a hardtail bicycle out of metal, then imagine they can use other materials like aluminum or carbon fiber

interesting, if taken far enough this can change the assembly line!
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Time to put all my years at Games-Workshop painting skills to good use ;-)

Cool stuff!
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    @MrFangs Thats AWESOME! Can i have it? <3
    @Zomb3h Love that screenshot :)
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    ezekel wrote: »

Wonder if this will be taken far enough to make a hardtail bicycle out of metal, then imagine they can use other materials like aluminum or carbon fiber

you're just now discovering 3d printers exist? lol......

they've been around for awhile......

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I like the models in the pictures. No need to paint. Just GIMME GIMME!!!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Rounded out a bit, I could see how that would make a great shift knob for my car... 0.0
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    MUST. HAVE. GORGELINGS.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited January 2014

3D printers are already changing the assembly line, and they have been in use since the 80s. It's been compared to the next industrial revolution in manufacturing. Youtube '3d printing'. Also nice job MrFangs.