here we go again....

2»

Comments

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    like ive said before, there isnt even a link to the 10+ year old ENSL.org through UWE's site, madness.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Rookie-friendly servers only work when they aren't filled with rookies.

O the irony! :)

It is a little awkward to string "NS2" and "rookie-friendly" into one sentence.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Decent servers such as YO and HBZ already deal with rookies through natural selection
    The rookies that stray there don't stay very long in general. Anyway it's rare that they join server's that have a
    queue.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Decent servers such as YO and HBZ already deal with rookies through natural selection
    The rookies that stray there don't stay very long in general. Anyway it's rare that they join server's that have a
    queue.
    True, on YO we have had a few come back for more. And the point is, we generally communicate enough/ play well enough that those rookies will go and join a different server and have been set on their way to learning more and more about the game by themselves.
    Its only the basic basics that are near-ineffable when you start. Once you've got a few hours in you should be able to fend for yourself.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    We need an working mechanism to transform a server into a real "non-rookie" one.
    All the "non-rookie"mods out there didnt work very well.
    A "descent server" like HBZ isnt descent anymore filled with rookies.

Again: Its great to have many new players in the game.
    But the experienced players want to play games on there level.

And the gather system we have (ensl) is not a real pub alternative in my opinion.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    If the rookies cant play with non-rookies how do you think they're ever going to learn how to play? Tutorials can tell you what to do, but they can't tell you what NOT to do, which you need experienced players for.

Nobody is going to play this game for 4 hours with a bunch of other silent rookies that dont know wtf is going on.

Honestly if the ENSL gather system was integrated with NS2, or a similar system existed within the game, that'd be easily enough for pugs to get a lot more daylight.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    same old song again,
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Just wonder whats the "Noob only" servers where vets can command and teach players are for?
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    dePARA wrote: »
    We need an working mechanism to transform a server into a real "non-rookie" one.
    All the "non-rookie"mods out there didnt work very well.
    A "descent server" like HBZ isnt descent anymore filled with rookies.

Again: Its great to have many new players in the game.
    But the experienced players want to play games on there level.

And the gather system we have (ensl) is not a real pub alternative in my opinion.

Could't we use that evil 'your skill level is to high to join a team' mod for that (with a skill>XXX instead of skill<XXX )
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Please tell me people aren't making mods that utilize that horrid skill ranking system...
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @Afterhours that is a ridiculous argument. Green servers appear green with the text (rookie friendly) in the title in the server browser. They also outweigh white labelled servers by a ratio of about 6000:1 at the moment. I will not be holding back my play on my own server, which is not rookie friendly, even if it is full of rookies due to this massive influx.
    I am happy to politely point them towards a green server though.

You totally missed my point. GG.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    No, I didn't. You totally missed that other guy's point though. Gee gee.
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    No, I didn't. You totally missed that other guy's point though. Gee gee.

Lol the irony.

I don't give 2 shits about Rookies and Rookie games on Non-Rookie servers. It's unavoidable in the current state of the game, and bitching about it does absolutely nothing. If anything, the negative behavior towards these new players is detrimental to the long run of the game.

OP should just use ENSL.org, because no matter how badly he wants other people to do what he thinks is the right thing in pub games, it's not gonna happen.

Oh, and I just love how both of you have totally overlooked the Server Ping argument, which is arguably the most influential stat a server can have that affects whether a player joins it or not...
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Server ping means nothing when there are 5000 local Green servers.
    That's why you missed the point.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I get that the new players are in a way a boon to the community, but at what point does is this hand holding going to stop? Playing on green servers I get, but playing on non-rookie servers I still get a team that's half green. Okay, I get that too, but when I point out they should be really be playing on rookie servers I get flamed halfway to hell.

The cheapness of the game makes it so that many people want to just get into the game, without even bothering with the basics. "How long til Exos?" is something I expect in every game now, with no one playing as a team and getting an organized game is just about impossible.

And while pub games have always been messy, the influx has forced me to stack the teams because I want to play with the players I know, making it also unfair to the newbies, who get slaughtered. So we try to balance the game out, but it ends up being a half assed game because the com doesn't know how to drop medpacks, or (if I jump in the chair) most of the time the team turns into ducklings who follow the first marine they see and waddle as a group into the main alien hive and die, while leaving the base open to a rush.

Can we please, please emphasize that new players should really really go to noob friendly, noob only servers (highlighted in green) and not jump in the chair until reaching a certain amount of play time.

Sitting in a position waiting for a res node after asking for one for 5 minutes is getting frustrating, simply because someone wants to learn how to com, having "just got the game today, so chill man, its my first time comming".

I understand if its your first time, or you're just learning the game, but please, please go to a rookie friendly server.

rant over.

and for those saying I should play PUG, I really don't have the time, I like to jump in and play. While PUG and organized games for more veteran players sounds great, I really don't have that kind of time to invest.

pugs are pretty frequent, i know i get spammed by the the steam group about the same time every night, usually looking for 2-3 to start up a game. join that and see if it caters to your schedule at all. when you get 12, it usually starts pretty quickly.
    I can't handle all these new rookies. I really can't. They are bad in a way that defies comprehension and empathy. It's not just ground-skulking either, it's just an overall terribleness that can't be understood or reasoned with.

The other day I was almost dead as an onos on veil and saw there was a gorge in nano. I ran to the gorge and started hitting him, which is usually the code for heal me. The gorge just looks at me. I say over the voice chat, "HEAL ME GORGE!!1" because marines were en route. The gorge just looks at me and then marines come in and shoot me in the face.

I mean, sure, maybe he didn't know that right click would heal things. But man, the first thing I do when I play any game is test the buttons. All FPS games have the same button lay-out. Left click to attack, right click for secondary attack/aiming, wasd to move, number keys to switch weapons... so on and so forth. It's like these people don't even glimpse at the controls before they play.

Another thing: the rookies almost never communicate. I'm not asking you to be freakin' Kathy Griffin over the mic. Just say something, either in chat or over voice. Sometimes I'll address a rookie by name when he's doing something inefficient (attacking the extractor instead of the observatory, for instance) and he'll just keep doing what he was originally doing. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they mute voice chat, don't play with sound on, or don't speak english. It's that bad.

Earlier today I had an alien commander that didn't know how to cyst. Even worse, I had a team that didn't care or know how to eject the commander. It was a full 24 player server too. "Guys, hold x and click eject"... 3 people out of the 11 vote to eject. I wish I had a emoticon to express deep depression and suicide contemplation.

And of course, the influx of new rookies has caused the stacking problem to become out of control. You now have 2 options in 90% of games: stack or be stacked. Red Orchestra 2 isn't this bad about stacking, neither was Team Fortress 2 or most online FPS's that I've played.

you're pretty new to this no? right click used to be a whole lot of things, one of which was secondary attack, which i think UT2k4 pretty much started.

right click will forever be associated with jump for me. Q3 for life baby, unless it's crouch, and that was only in wolf:ET... less said about the wierd keybinds that game forced me into the better.
    edited January 2014

Maybe to you. But not everyone has 5000 local Green servers to choose from. Any other moronic assumptions you would like to make about this discussion?

And you both keep saying I've missed the point when I've clearly outlined what's wrong with the POINT that's trying, in failure, to be made.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    amoral wrote: »
    right click will forever be associated with jump for me. Q3 for life baby

Mouse2 +jump/+moveup master race.
    sometimes after a couple of games of pistol only or gorging, you just feel like cutting loose and going 50-4 as a skulk. coddling drains my energy.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    right click will forever be associated with jump for me. Q3 for life baby

Mouse2 +jump/+moveup master race.

yeah, i feel dirty when i have to use mouse2 for something like look down sights.
    Afterhours wrote: »

Maybe to you. But not everyone has 5000 local Green servers to choose from. Any other moronic assumptions you would like to make about this discussion?

And you both keep saying I've missed the point when I've clearly outlined what's wrong with the POINT that's trying, in failure, to be made.

Take a screenshot of your server browser without filtering rookie servers. Sort by players or ping.
    If there are fewer green servers than white servers, I will concede the point.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    sometimes after a couple of games of pistol only or gorging, you just feel like cutting loose and going 50-4 as a skulk. coddling drains my energy.

One game I decided to go full Gorgezilla. 40+ kills later I died. Twas fun.

The screenshot won't prove or disprove any point, so no, I'm not wasting my time to do that. I can already tell you there's more Rookie-Friendly/Only servers than there are White ones with decent ping for NA West. (Yes, Rookie-FRIENDLY also shows up in Green, so figure where you want to place that on this Rookie Player/Rookie Server scale.)

But that's not OP's point. He's expressing frustration with Rookie players populating Non-Rookie servers and the games playing like crap because of all the Greenhorns figuring things out. I get that. I understand the frustration, I had to deal with it last night.

What I AM trying to say is that it's a waste of time to be upset about it, because there's very little in the way this can be fixed without just hosting your own server and setting up your desired restrictions, or investing yourself in organized games (which OP has already stated he doesnt have time to do, so he's just shooting himself in the foot).

What if the rookies wanna play with their friends? They're gonna find a server they all can join. What if all the other green servers are full? Guess they'll join the white one. You can't just say "Players need to understand that if they're rookies, they need to join rookie games." with this kind of method for getting players into a game. I'm sorry. You can't. No matter how much you think I'm wrong, or that players should JUST KNOW, it's not going to happen.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Afterhours wrote: »
    You can't just say "Players need to understand that if they're rookies, they need to join rookie games."
    False.

If it's their server, they can do whatever the hell they want.
    And seeing as how the only non rookie servers that exist are privately owned, (because official servers will always be rookie friendly) you should expect this, and accept it as an acceptable stance. Rookies don't have to understand it... They can go join any of the many many many rookie servers out there after being kicked.
    edited January 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »

Rookies don't have to understand it... They can go join any of the many many many rookie servers out there after being kicked.

Exactly. It's going to require movement by the server moderator or some mod to remove these Rookies from the Non-Rookie servers. My comments more or less line up for extremely new players.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    uwe is past this. its either mods or... nothing. if you are trying to balance of the game.. well hope for mods.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Must close eyes, wish real hard, and become @sewlek