Precaching and Texture Streaming

DjangoDjango France Join Date: 2014-01-03 Member: 191786Members
Hello

I'm new her, i bought the game... Yesterday. And I have a problem: loadings are really really long. The "precaching" part during loading lasts 10 minutes or something, sometimes even 15 minutes, and not only for the first game i played...

I read about texture streaming, and tried to enable it, but it looks like it has been suppressed or something, it doesnt appear in graphic options.

My pc isn't really great but i've got some games who works really well, and when the loading finally ends, NS2 turns at 45/50 FPS in medium/high settings. Also, loadings last 1/2 mn on my laptop, so i guess it's not my internet connection.

My config is:
Intel core 2 duo E8400 3 GHZ
3GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 650
Windows xp SP3

Somebody can help me please?

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You have a slow processor and you run 32 bit Windows XP, you will have slow load times and there is nothing you can do about it.
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    There are actually things you can do Django.

1) If you have your hard drive split to 2 partitions, move ns2 folder (through steam) to non system partition. That means D partition most of the time.

2) Use defragmentation tool on you hard drive. You can use the one build into the Windows or quite good and free one called MyDefrag. Defragmentation can take up to few hours :)
  • DjangoDjango France Join Date: 2014-01-03 Member: 191786Members
    Thanks for your help!

In fact, i have 2 hard drive: C containing system, and all installed programs (like NS2 and all of my other games), and D containing documents and stuff. They are 2 different hard drive, not 1 splited. Do i have to move NS2 to the second one anyway?

I'll use the defragmentation tool too.

• xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    I would move ns2 to the second drive then, but remember that ns2 takes 9GB space.
    The space is not a problem. I'll try that and give feedback.

Thanks again Xtal!
    It worked!

I switched the game installation folder to my other hard drive, i used defrag tool on both hard drives, and now my loadings are really short.

Thanks a lot Xtal!
    @SamusDroid this is a tip how to speedup preaching, but I believe you need to change engine not the Lua code.