here we go again....

Fat_Man_Little_CoatFat_Man_Little_Coat Join Date: 2003-12-02 Member: 23857Members
edited January 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I get that the new players are in a way a boon to the community, but at what point does is this hand holding going to stop? Playing on green servers I get, but playing on non-rookie servers I still get a team that's half green. Okay, I get that too, but when I point out they should be really be playing on rookie servers I get flamed halfway to hell.

The cheapness of the game makes it so that many people want to just get into the game, without even bothering with the basics. "How long til Exos?" is something I expect in every game now, with no one playing as a team and getting an organized game is just about impossible.

And while pub games have always been messy, the influx has forced me to stack the teams because I want to play with the players I know, making it also unfair to the newbies, who get slaughtered. So we try to balance the game out, but it ends up being a half assed game because the com doesn't know how to drop medpacks, or (if I jump in the chair) most of the time the team turns into ducklings who follow the first marine they see and waddle as a group into the main alien hive and die, while leaving the base open to a rush.

Can we please, please emphasize that new players should really really go to noob friendly, noob only servers (highlighted in green) and not jump in the chair until reaching a certain amount of play time.

Sitting in a position waiting for a res node after asking for one for 5 minutes is getting frustrating, simply because someone wants to learn how to com, having "just got the game today, so chill man, its my first time comming".

I understand if its your first time, or you're just learning the game, but please, please go to a rookie friendly server.

rant over.

and for those saying I should play PUG, I really don't have the time, I like to jump in and play. While PUG and organized games for more veteran players sounds great, I really don't have that kind of time to invest.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah, but was there ever a time in NS1 when so many rookie's joined they outnumbered the non-rookies about 5 or more to 1?

I feel if there are too many rookies joining this game each time, they will just up and leave because they won't get the understanding needed to grasp this game. Rookie's need to be fed in, in smaller numbers than the current playerbase each time, so they can learn the game properly in a proper environment, rather than rookie's leading rookie's...
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Weak post is weak.

Are you seriously complaining about new players behaving, I don't know, maybe...new? Like they've never played the game before so they may not realize that there are servers set up for new-comers?

And seriously, if you're desire for organized NS2 is so dire, that you can't deal with PUG servers behaving as such, then go find a organized team to play with.

Ranting on the forums does nothing in this case.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I feel the same way as the OP. I love new rookies, I command and guide them quite often, I even made for crappy guide for christ sake but I do sometimes crave a match of experienced players playing and it's hard to get that lately with so many sales and so many deals going on.

But it's something I can deal with, the potential for community growth far outweighs what I personally want.

I'd take a break for awhile, play as support or commander and help rookies or try to organize a competitive game of experienced players
  • Fat_Man_Little_CoatFat_Man_Little_Coat Join Date: 2003-12-02 Member: 23857Members
    edited January 2014

Afterhours wrote: »
    Weak post is weak.

Are you seriously complaining about new players behaving, I don't know, maybe...new? Like they've never played the game before so they may not realize that there are servers set up for new-comers?

And seriously, if you're desire for organized NS2 is so dire, that you can't deal with PUG servers behaving as such, then go find a organized team to play with.

Ranting on the forums does nothing in this case.

And I'm suppose to accept this? If you read my post, I point out to the new players that they are not on a rookie friendly server, and I get flamed hard. And since the overwhelming amount of newbs zerging this game every other month now is a regular thing, all the regular players I've played with since the start have moved on. The community is basically a few die hards, a few comp clans, and then the other 80% of new players who zerg the servers every few months and then leave until this cycle repeats itself when the next sale hits.

Keep in mind, that a lot of these players we, the veteran community, are working very hard to support and embrace don't stay. They're paying 2.50 for something that most of us paid 10 times (if not more) so for. I think I got a great value, but that's not the issue, the issue is this is an expenditure of that equates to pocket change for most people. They simply don't care about the game that much, its only 2.50 to them.

And I've done my fair share of supporting the community, I'm just tired that a lackluster and lacking tutorial needs to be compensated by a community that has been extremely supportive of this company for years.

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Best way to avoid rookies, play pugs.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    point is, almost no newbie well ever come on this forum until he/she is not new.. So there is little point to it. As for the problem itself.. I dont see any solution to that yet. (without a lot of changes)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    There really isn't a fix to the influx of new players. Your options are to play pugs or find servers that are filled with dedicated regulars. There really isn't anything else you or anyone on this forum can do.

Hopefully a portion of the new players will stick around and keep the game alive. If I have to deal with waves of greens for a while for that to happen... so be it.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game got more players than ever (right?). Be happy about that! Lets hope half of them stays and gets well over the green phase and further...
  • AfterhoursAfterhours Join Date: 2012-09-18 Member: 159869Members, Reinforced - Shadow

And I'm suppose to accept this?

Compared to what? Omnipotent players who know how to play the game like a pro the minute they install it? You say you want more organized play (in Pub games lol), but "don't have the time to invest in it". That's your problem, not the game or communities or huge wave of new players. The only thing holding you back from getting that high level of coordinated play that you want is yourself.
  • Fat_Man_Little_CoatFat_Man_Little_Coat Join Date: 2003-12-02 Member: 23857Members
    edited January 2014
    Afterhours wrote: »

And I'm suppose to accept this?

Compared to what? Omnipotent players who know how to play the game like a pro the minute they install it? You say you want more organized play (in Pub games lol), but "don't have the time to invest in it". That's your problem, not the game or communities or huge wave of new players. The only thing holding you back from getting that high level of coordinated play that you want is yourself.

The fact is, most of the servers are rookie friendly. The majority actually, the notion that people can't understand that some servers are not rookie friendly is fine, but when I tell them they're on a NOT ROOKIE friendly server, and they react like you do. Well, that's annoying.

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying. The high level of play isn't even that high level. I literally just played two games on non rookie servers. The first one the com dropped two robotics bays and an arms lab at separate places on the map on Mineshaft in the first 2 minutes. AND they got built. When I told the com he should recycle that, no response. Then I then switched to another NON rookie server, and joined a game 10 minutes in with two arms labs, and one robotics bay with literally only shotguns and mines as upgrades. With one player, raging (understandably) because he said this com hadn't said a word the entire game. Again, on NON ROOKIE SERVERS.

"Well, tell them to eject the com then!" you say. Most of the time, the new players don't even know how to eject the com. And when ttell them how to do it, they still don't do it, for whatever insane reason.

So I don't know what you think I'm talking about, but this is the state of the game for many, many people I've been talking to. Walking lerks that try to spike you as you walk up to it (on the ground) and shotgun it in the face. Skulks that walk up to you like it's your pet dog and you're coming home from work. Onos that stroll into the main base of the marines that is full. Exos that wander off un assisted, and by themselves like a broken robot. All this, while you are trying to tell them how to play the game, but they seriously don't care. Because they spent 2.50 on it. Why would they care? 2.50? I can't even buy a gallon of milk or a tank of gas for that amount.

Again, on rookie servers, fine, by all means. Experiment (not like theres a tutorial in game or anything). But when I try to tell you how to play, you don't comprehend, listen or give a care, I get annoyed. Especially when I see it on the few servers that don't cater to rookies, which have taken over the game like a zombie plague.

Sorry if I get annoyed by that "play style" and would like a few servers that actually cater to the actual game mechanics that are in the game. And keep in mind this happens every time there is a sale, or a humble bumble, or free weekend etc...
    edited January 2014

The fact is, most of the servers are rookie friendly. The majority actually, the notion that people can't understand that some servers are not rookie friendly is fine, but when I tell them they're on a NOT ROOKIE friendly server, and they react like you do. Well, that's annoying.

React like I do? I don't think YOU understand what I'm saying. You cannot force people to join other servers. Period. Here's a really good reason: Not all servers have the same ping. What would you wanna play on? The 20ping server that is not Rookie Friendly, or the 150ping server that IS Rookie Friendly? Really easy decision, huh? Now, heres the next good reason: The previous reason actually exists. If all servers had the same ping, this would be less of an issue.

The high level of play isn't even that high level. I literally just played two games on non rookie servers. The first one the com dropped two robotics bays and an arms lab at separate places on the map on Mineshaft in the first 2 minutes. AND they got built. When I told the com he should recycle that, no response. Then I then switched to another NON rookie server, and joined a game 10 minutes in with two arms labs, and one robotics bay with literally only shotguns and mines as upgrades. With one player, raging (understandably) because he said this com hadn't said a word the entire game. Again, on NON ROOKIE SERVERS.

So you're upset with Rookie players playing on Non-Rookie servers that, actually, play like Rookie servers? Shit's confusing man...

"Well, tell them to eject the com then!" you say. Most of the time, the new players don't even know how to eject the com. And when ttell them how to do it, they still don't do it, for whatever insane reason.

Never had an issue with this outside of telling people how to eject a comm a couple times in chat. Including games with 4-5 Rookies on my team.

So I don't know what you think I'm talking about, but this is the state of the game for many, many people I've been talking to. Walking lerks that try to spike you as you walk up to it (on the ground) and shotgun it in the face. Skulks that walk up to you like it's your pet dog and you're coming home from work. Onos that stroll into the main base of the marines that is full. Exos that wander off un assisted, and by themselves. All this, while you are trying to tell them how to play the game, but they seriously don't care. Because they spent 2.50 on it. Why would they care? 2.50? I can't even buy a gallon of milk or a tank of gas for that amount.

Again then, Why are you having such a hard time with Rookie players playing on a Non-Rookie labeled server, but are in-fact still Rookie level games? And seriously? Don't care based on how much they paid for a game? I hope to god they notice they're getting the game for %90 cheaper. Don't expect other people to treat games the same way you do.

• FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    I can't handle all these new rookies. I really can't. They are bad in a way that defies comprehension and empathy. It's not just ground-skulking either, it's just an overall terribleness that can't be understood or reasoned with.

The other day I was almost dead as an onos on veil and saw there was a gorge in nano. I ran to the gorge and started hitting him, which is usually the code for heal me. The gorge just looks at me. I say over the voice chat, "HEAL ME GORGE!!1" because marines were en route. The gorge just looks at me and then marines come in and shoot me in the face.

I mean, sure, maybe he didn't know that right click would heal things. But man, the first thing I do when I play any game is test the buttons. All FPS games have the same button lay-out. Left click to attack, right click for secondary attack/aiming, wasd to move, number keys to switch weapons... so on and so forth. It's like these people don't even glimpse at the controls before they play.

Another thing: the rookies almost never communicate. I'm not asking you to be freakin' Kathy Griffin over the mic. Just say something, either in chat or over voice. Sometimes I'll address a rookie by name when he's doing something inefficient (attacking the extractor instead of the observatory, for instance) and he'll just keep doing what he was originally doing. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if they mute voice chat, don't play with sound on, or don't speak english. It's that bad.

Earlier today I had an alien commander that didn't know how to cyst. Even worse, I had a team that didn't care or know how to eject the commander. It was a full 24 player server too. "Guys, hold x and click eject"... 3 people out of the 11 vote to eject. I wish I had a emoticon to express deep depression and suicide contemplation.

And of course, the influx of new rookies has caused the stacking problem to become out of control. You now have 2 options in 90% of games: stack or be stacked. Red Orchestra 2 isn't this bad about stacking, neither was Team Fortress 2 or most online FPS's that I've played.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2014
    The problem is that we need more ubermenschen and fewer plain humans, but for that, we are apparently on a wrong planet. Krypton, perhaps... as there.

At least playing NS2 gives us the opportunity to appreciate the depth of Sartre's observation: "The hell is the other people."
    edited January 2014
    alright, to save space not going to quote you, but, a couple of things for Afterhours:

-Yes, you can force people to choose servers, for example, I cannot join a few noob or rookie only servers. DFA runs a server that will ban you if they find you have 100+ played hours. If you are even suspected of being a vet player you face a ban. So yes, this does happen. In favor of rookies.

-Yes, I do have a problem when people treat non-rookie servers like rookie servers. Especially when there are many other options for them, when there are few for me.

-People are not ejecting. Heck, some aren't even conceding. I just played a game, where the com recycled the base, after 10 minutes had passed, because the team wouldn't concede. And it was a very lopsided game. For whatever reason they couldn't even vote together as a team. If you do not have this problem then no wonder you have no clue as to what I'm talking about. Just look two posts up, the same issue popped up.

-I have no problems with rookies, but these rookies are bad. Really bad, again. I don't think you understand my issue. Ask around, and even in this thread there are many who share my opinion.

I'm starting to suspect you're just trying to troll or argue. But this is something that I've talked to with many many other veteran players. Sometimes they bring it up, with out me even saying anything. Almost every server with a familiar player they've voiced this issue, and not just from this sale, but from the past few months.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Setup a server of your own. Title it "Vets Only" (or something of the like). Ban the newbies if you'd like. Problem solved. You could even make it a locked server and give the PW out to those you know, who know the game well.

Crying that there are new players on a non rookie friendly server isn't the smartest thing; since they just bought the game yet you expect them to know that there is a difference. Its been said time and time again that NS has a large/hard learning curve; it starts as soon as the game loads, not the rounds loading (aka server browser as well).

I personally have said it a few times: I'd rather have bad games now and have more than a few people playing the game in 6 months. Instead of having good games now with <200 people playing in 6 months.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Stop trying to ignore the rookie problem people. Its real, if we don't solve it most rookies will quit the game before they get good.

A more organised match system will probably help.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love rookies, especially if they ask questions, and have that spark once they learn the game. Was playing on the Singapore official server, both team of greens (16 of them, with 2 vets). It was a one sided game (the 2 vets me included was on the alien team). But the marines fought hard, and I think they all had a good time (they didn't quit or concede). So when 5 onos ran into the base it was over. Fun as hell.
    That said, after that game, I did go back to my regular vet infested server for more high level play.
    Just have fun and roll with it. Today's greenies are tomorrow's vets.
    alright, to save space not going to quote you, but, a couple of things for Afterhours:

-Yes, you can force people to choose servers, for example, I cannot join a few noob or rookie only servers. DFA runs a server that will ban you if they find you have 100+ played hours. If you are even suspected of being a vet player you face a ban. So yes, this does happen. In favor of rookies.

That's not forcing people to play on a server. That's adding restriction to a server that RESTRICTS players access. You cannot force a player to play on a less desirable server. All players go for the lowest ping server (that's well populated) no matter what. Does that mean it's always going to be a server perfectly suited for the skill-level? Nope. But damned if I'm gonna learn to play this game with a huge handicap.

I'm trying to point out that the Rookie/Server problem is not as easy as "Rookies should learn what server to join." The forums have been screaming for matchmaking for months now, and the most we've seen is the NS2Skill mod that some servers roll, which is better than the KDR shuffle option. You have to realize how heavily community dependent NS2 is for player retention. It just doesn't have all the fluff that other AAA titles provide for Multiplayer Matchmaking. So yeah, when people who are learning the game jump into their first server, they're really not gonna look out for the Rookie-Friendly tags. They wanna jump into the game and check things out/play around with it.

What DOES help player retention is getting these new players up to speed, being a good comm and teaching them through gameplay, and NOT getting frustrated with them just because you're not getting the kind of games you want.
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Steam Sales killed this game. Period!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited January 2014
    While I normally do like more skilled play, I simply do not agree with OP. First I point out what CCTEE said. 2nd, I also find that rookie servers tend to have more skilled players than regular servers. Why?
    Because veterans like me like to help out new players (at the same time I love killing them over and over again), as opposed to the real noobs on regular servers who simply insult and "attack" any new player that comes their way instead of helping them get better.

Please note I am not saying everyone on regular servers are like this, just that many are like this.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Just do what I do : Shout on the mic.

I always teach rookies (and enjoy doing so) but Omfg last night was the worst.. I began typing to ask if certain users even had sound on!
    So when you comm (because people like us don't let someone command unless we get verbal confirmation of qualification beforehand) and they don't listen and proceed to beg for things, you remind them why you are denying them that medpack... Or why they're not getting exos.. You make it crystal clear to them

It's the only way some are going to learn this game - because they can't be asked to play a tutorial, watch videos, learn in sand box mode or practice with bots.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Afterhours that is a ridiculous argument. Green servers appear green with the text (rookie friendly) in the title in the server browser. They also outweigh white labelled servers by a ratio of about 6000:1 at the moment. I will not be holding back my play on my own server, which is not rookie friendly, even if it is full of rookies due to this massive influx.
    I am happy to politely point them towards a green server though.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Back in the NS1 days we also had noobs, I found these goodies:

"Noobs - Stuck in the middle with Noobs"
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s1UraotqDbWQ
    From: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/110181/natural-selection-songs
    Fangs wrote: »
    Follow these easy steps to recovery...

Tired of noobs in NS games? Follow these easy steps to recovery:

1- You were a noob once, so when you feel like cussing at them, breath deeply and offer a helpful point of wisdom to the noobie. They may ignore you and still go "one hive no upgrade Onos" three times in that game, however just like a housepet they will eventually learn, or go back to playing de_dust for the millionth time. Both ways we all win in the longrun.

2- Suround yourself with team players. Join a clan, perferably one that smurfs alot (Smurfing avoids the people who cry about clan stacking). Play where your clan plays. Play on the same team your clan does. Play in matches with them. You can enjoy your NS more with team players, so suround yourself with a team. I advise against playing "PUG" games, but other people I know swear by them, so you can try to arange a game in IRC channel #nspug on gamesurge.net (note: NSPUG is officaly dead but people still setup pugs on there own servers just like the old days). All these options will improve your teamwork level, so clan-up and just keep saying "Woo Saw" tell the noobie pain fades into a memory. Just keep in mind while your getting owned by all those super leet CAL vetrean Clan players playing in the high skill level games, that without noobies on the server your gonna have to step-up your own game.

3- No game is perfect. No matter where you go, no matter who is on your team there will always be problems. Play hard and when all hope seems lost play harder. If your the truely great player you claim to be, lead the new players by exsample. Don't call them stupid or yell, becouse no one likes to be treated that way. Comunicate, if you are freindly and explain game stratigies to new players you have a higher chance of gaining their trust. If you talk smack to them and call them noobie, then don't be mad when they "get even" by building sensory chambers, go onos for the third time, or refuse to climb out of the comchair untell the turrets have been planted for a bumper crop. Lead the noobies, they are tomorrows elite players, they just need time and your guideance. Sure teaching people every day isn't always fun, just keep in mind that "noob" your teaching may be on your team next game, and the helpful tips you give him may make all the difference in that close game. Wisdom is useless if you don't use it.

4- Some "noobies" will never get it... This is true. NS is not just a first person shooter. NS gameplay is dynamic and there is a steep learning curve. Not every player is cutout to play NS. Some players will never improve, and however much you try to help them they will ignore you. My advise after playing NS for 3 years is this - ignore the noobies that refuse to listen or leave that server, otherwise if your like me you will windup cussing or breaking stuff, and buying new keyboards/monitors can get expensive (trust me I know).

Congradulations, You have now sucessfuly completed the first official "Fangs NS Therapy session" You are healed my friend.

Now go school those noobies.

Lets get these rookies up to speed and this community bigger!

• MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Be nice and get the noobs trained up, we all started off at the bottom. Ive had some really funny games with the latest batch of players.
  • MigotoMigoto Merica Join Date: 2014-01-03 Member: 191719Members
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Be nice and get the noobs trained up, we all started off at the bottom. Ive had some really funny games with the latest batch of players.
    This ^
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    Are you sure that pointing out new players is the best way to recruit ?

www don't mean World Wide Web anymore, now it's more like World Wide Whining
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    If an green server is "rookie friendly" is an white server "not rookie friendly" then?

I try to avoid the green servers and if i see rookies on a "white server", well, i slaughter them.
    There is a reason why a server isnt marked as rookie friendly.

Its great for the game that we have so many new players now.
    But:
    After playing one horrible game after another on "no rookie servers" i understand why people beeing upset.

Rookies have tons of "noob only servers" wich is great, so they can learn the basics there without getting slaughtered.
    Non rookies have , aehm, servers full of rookies.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited January 2014
    Rookies never really bothered me much before, but I must say this latest influx of them is by far the worst.

My problem isn't with the rookies themselves, it's with the rookies who act like they know everything with only 20 minutes to an hour of play time... Especially those who try to command!!!

New commanders aren't that bad when they listen to what the experienced players are telling them to build. However when a new commander is ignoring everything the vets are saying because he thinks his strategy of mass whips on 1 RT is better.... It seriously makes me rage, and it's compounded right now with the fact that we can't evict them because there are too many rookies on the team who don't understand how the comm is screwing us.

I hopped on this morning to play, and ended up suffering through 4 terrible games due to rookies jumping in the chair/hive. At least in the past we could evict them and have a chance at salvaging the game. Unfortunately that's impossible when 8 of 11 players on the team are rookies who refuse to evict because they think the comm is "learning"

I fully understand now why so many veterans have stopped playing.

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is the perfect time for UWE to do some PR and work with the ensl/auNS/PUG community!
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - Let the new guys know that we not only have a world championship, but also a all-year round competitive scene where people of all skill levels, with or without teams, can play together properly. This is the best part of ns for alot of people and uwe does nothing to promote this effectively during these massive player fluctuations.

Decent servers such as YO and HBZ already deal with rookies through natural selection <- haha PUN