"Gravity" the movie (spoilers)

KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited December 2013 in Off-Topic
I saw this movie in cinema and while it was good for a few occasional laughs, I was shocked by how popular this silver screen atrocity actually is. This rant is full of spoilers, so watch out. The main spoiler is the movie itself anyway.

Perhaps it is just my age - I grew up on novels by Clarke and Asimov, and I am used to take flics that present themselves about being serious on the "sci" part of sci-fi on their word. But "Gravity" is just one big goof - I don't understand how people admit that a man falling on the ground from several miles of altitude will leave but a splatter, but at the same time, they are ready to believe that colliding with a space station in a similar or greater velocity is somewhat survivable - better yet, that you can grab its edge prince-of-persia style, and claw your way to the airlock. Not that you actually had the means to achieve such velocity - the EVA-like jetpack that is presented in the movie is certainly incapable to let you move from orbital station to orbital station like a starfighter. And you can fly around it just for fun, and the mission control totally does not care, and when all hell breaks lose, you don't end up dying like an idiot with an empty fuel tank. Why? Because you are George Clooney, so you die like a hero, with style.

Also - there is only momentum in space, an object either stands still, or moves forward with the same speed. If you get caught on a space station, hanging on a silly rope for a while - and someone cuts that rope - you don't resume flying in the original direction, because your momentum is spent. Just pull out a yo-yo, and see for your self what should happen in a universe where Newton's laws still apply.

Et cetera, et cetera. The goofs just don't stop.

Acting-wise, I am ready to admit Clooney's undying charm, but Bullock is just a bellow average actor whose weak monologue just does not manage cannot move the plot forward. Not that there is any plot - she just hops from space station to space station that keep on exploding and manages to land with a Chinese lander in the end, because apparently, Chinese landers are exact same copies of american landers including the button layouts, so you just need to apply memorized keystrokes, and you are good. Hahaha, what a fresh joke, at least the Chinese were smart enough to substitute the English texts on the buttons themselves, or their own astronauts would keep dying like flies. The tropes do not end there - all this misfortune is caused by evil Russians, who, instead of moving their old satellite to a collision course with the atmosphere, burning it in the process as usual, insist on blowing it with a missile of a very nasty kind that just floods the orbit with deadly shrapnel capable of wrecking satellites in minutes. Goodbye GPS, goodbye space flight.

The cinematic torture ends with a hope, however - if you are a formerly hot young lady, you can bend the laws of physics just with the purity of your heart.

Now please explain to me - how can so many people, many of them with high school or better education, can take this movie seriously enough to call it "best sci-fi of all times"?

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    My goodness, nobody show this guy Transformers 2. We'd never hear the end of it!
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Transformers don't take themselves seriously, this "sci-fi" does.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    From what I understand: One reviewer or other noteworthy person boldly said "This movie is exactly accurate!" (I am paraphrasing) and that's all the news outlets talked about. I think the average person who went knew it was still Hollywood. I agree there are a ton of flaws. I still enjoyed the movie for what it was: a disaster movie. Those movies never have great science.

It was such a visual delight to see in theaters too.
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I loved it for what it was, even if it was massively inaccurate in places, it was action packed and kept me entertained the whole way through.

That first shot, 12 minutes, loved it. Apparently it took flipping eons to render.

It was one of those films where I desperately want to see the making of. Here's some gubbins for those also interested in how they do these things. http://www.fxguide.com/featured/gravity/
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Gravity was the worst movie i have seen in a long time. The first few minutes were great, the visuals and sounds were epic.... until this joke of a plot started kickin in. Bullock's character is a joke too. The first thing she says about herself is that she is driving around all the time in her free time because she still cant get over the death of her child which fell over and died. I cant begin to understand how someone can seriously come up with such bullshit and make it into a million dollar movie. If little children would instantly die if they fall on their head, we would be extinct already and if people with a psychic trauma like that were sent into space, the whole orbit would actually be full of debris already.
    I can stomach some bullshit and scientific flaws in a movie (for example the debris hitting the same spot over and over) but at that point, this movie was just too much.