Indicate experienced players to end ridiculous comm blaming

null_pointer_exceptionnull_pointer_exception Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149634Members
I love NS2. I have been playing since beta, close to 600 hours, but there's one infuriating thing that I can't stand. I can win 5 tough games in a row as comm, and then all of a sudden there's a bad player shuffle, my team gets crushed in the first 2 minutes, and i find myself on the receiving end of a "tutorial" briefly before there's a vote to eject me. This happens even if I'm playing with the same people, since people often don't pay attention to who is in the chair/hive (on many servers, you can't even see who the enemy comm is). If a person wants to comm, "tutorials" are effective -if manipulative- strategy to get rid of the current one in a bad game. We have no way to indicate experienced players, and our culture pretty much just blames the comm for everything, so people who join are going to assume that if someone is telling the comm how to build spurs, (s)he must be bad, so they join in on the tutorializing and ultimately vote to eject. Trying to defend yourself just leads to getting kicked since there's no way to prove your experience. One solution is to just play with a group of people that you know, but it's a small community, and I don't want to join the insular, "decision tree," pro community that resembles SC2 or counterstrike. The unpredictable, creative pub matches are where NS2 shines.

Color names:
Green players indicate fresh ones, so there should be a way to indicate experienced ones. If not through the game, through a mod that checks anything possible, like steam API etc. Maybe tiers of like 10 hours, 50 hours, 100 hours, 500 hours.....or to keep it simple, just one for 100 hours. Even if this can only work through steam, I think it's a just reward for buying the game early (I preorded).

Maybe like this?
green: whatever the intro hours are. I can't remember.
yellow: 100 hours
red: 500 hours

End Game:
At the end of every game, there could be a thing that shows the commander of the winning team and the top X (5?) players. This would help reinforce in everyone's minds who is not being new or a troll.

Comments

• FreekerFreeker France Join Date: 2013-10-28 Member: 188858Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Consequences of the unspoken rule of pub:
    win = awesome field player
    lose = bad comm
    Get over it. reg player will quickly know if you know how to comm or not.
  • Ren26Ren26 Join Date: 2013-06-30 Member: 185811Members
    I dont get this problem, probably because when I comm i stay invested and im shouting instruction and info across mic.

If someone could take that and still blame me for loss I think we would all be surprised. Try being more communicative?
  • null_pointer_exceptionnull_pointer_exception Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149634Members
    edited December 2013
    Get over it. reg player will quickly know if you know how to comm or not.
    NS2 has some regulars, but there's an influx in and out along with constant naming changing- I mostly play with "different" people in every game, even if I've played with some of them under other names, either on my end or theirs. That's the problem with the notion of a "reg player."

Perhaps, more than anything, this attitude demonstrates why this common-sense feature has not been implemented.
    I dont get this problem, probably because when I comm i stay invested and im shouting instruction and info across mic. If someone could take that and still blame me for loss I think we would all be surprised. Try being more communicative?
    "Tutorial trolling" mostly occurs at the beginning of morbidly one-sided and often short games. All the time invested, all the interaction from previous games is lost, partly due to a shuffle of new players and the fact that not everyone knows who commanded the previous games. What's unfortunate is that you might be on a really good server when this happens. All it takes is a tutorial troll, someone to join in, and you have a scarlet letter starting with the next round. At this point it's probably best to just try to find another server or else face further harassment. The real problem is a social one, but NS2 modders can't do anything about the maturity levels and personalities of NS2 players.

As reflected by the first reply, this issue is recognized as a "just so" thing in pub games, but it shouldn't be necessary to abandon every time this kind of behavior reveals itself.

A solution could be as simple as:

Green = inexperienced
    white = normal
    Red (edit: blue? black?) = experienced

Surely someone else agrees with this.
  • null_pointer_exceptionnull_pointer_exception Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149634Members
    Actually I think that pretty much the entire line turns red on death, doesn't it? Since comms are yellow, that could work for them, but I guess red wouldn't make a good consistent colour. Maybe blue or orange or something. The color should be identical in chat as well.
  • FreekerFreeker France Join Date: 2013-10-28 Member: 188858Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't misunderstand my point, I do agree with your suggestion of "xp color". I'm just saying that you shouldn't be too much offended if you're victim of random eject by a crap team.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I love it when someone tells you what to do as commander. I don't mind someone seeing a good opportunity for me to do something but "commander I think you should get an obs because they might rush" when I know perfectly well that if they do my mines and myself will deal with it.
    edited December 2013
    Don't misunderstand my point, I do agree with your suggestion of "xp color". I'm just saying that you shouldn't be too much offended if you're victim of random eject by a crap team.

Alright. Fair enough.

I guess what bothers me is that all it takes is one or two people to control the game in this way, which I have had happen twice this week. My theory is that xp color would deter this kind of behavior since it would risk the blamer looking like a troll/whiner, especially if they are hudreds of hours under the comm / other player. How we act around people has a lot to do with their perceived status. In a ultra-competitive environment, people will quickly kick an unknown player who gets killed a few times in a row, but they won't if it's someone that they know is good. With everyone white, this element of social interaction is largely removed (edit: this phrasing is poor, but you know what I mean), and everyone becomes "probably a few hours out of green."

Whenever someone jumps in the chair, there's an element of uncertainty. I had one guy give me a detailed, 40 minute tutorial on tram just because I didn't have my mic plugged in. He was cool, though, so I just played along, and in the end he realized and even apologized, but it was obvious that people can't know and don't always give the benefit of the doubt.

Looking at the code, GUIPlayerNames.lua is probably the target. If I have some time, I might try to get something accepted into shine or otherwise appropriate mod. The Steam API seems to provide a "hours played" feature, at least judging from the existence of wastedonsteam.com. I haven't found the parameter in the API yet.

edit: shine, not shrine
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    a better solution is matchmaking in my opinion. Its not fun playing public and gunning down noob aliens for breakfast, and you'll be surprised at how many of these nabs have 4-500 hours+
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I only blame the com when it's CLEARLY their fault, which would be, for example, having 3 hives and losing.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    I've suggested time played badges before, would be great knowledge for teammates, and for balancing teams
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2013
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I only blame the com when it's CLEARLY their fault, which would be, for example, having 3 hives and losing.
    So you're saying 3 hives + good comm means 100% win, even with bloody rookies as players? Okay... 8-}

@ OP: I disagree with the suggestion since it will just make stacking worse than badges and skill-badges mods (if that is even possible).
  • jostoljostol Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166659Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A different colour for people with 500+ hours in NS2 would be pretty neat. A lot of people on my friends list have over 1k hours and with all the recent sales... Well, people should stay green until they pass the 100 hour mark. I personally only became decent at the game around the 300 hour mark, you know, learnt all the mechanics off by heart and enough strats as commander (both sides) and players both sides. There's a lot to learn in this game and personally I think the rookie colour doesn't stay on for long. What, two hours? (There's also a problem where you can't select rookie mode - been like this for quite a few builds, you chose it and it turns off within a few minutes.)
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Yea at min the rookie needs to last like 100 times longer. Or make them pass a logic test or something, perhaps show that they know how to read maps before letting it shut off. lol
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You see turrets going up 2 minutes into the game while sitting on 2 resource towers, what do?

1. Praise the commander for his glorious insight.
    2. Remind the commander that now would be a good time to research the "mech".
    3. Question the commanders skill, eject if needed.

What is a khammender?

1. A pokemon.
    2. King Halitosis as Manifested Magotty Ecofreak, Elected Naturally for the sole purpose of Dandling Egoistic Rats.
    3. The alien commander.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I love it when someone tells you what to do as commander. I don't mind someone seeing a good opportunity for me to do something but "commander I think you should get an obs because they might rush" when I know perfectly well that if they do my mines and myself will deal with it.

It's nice sometimes. I mostly like the intel updates like "we're down a spur", "recyst c12 harvester", or "my gorge is on fire!" Sometimes small things can escape your notice when you're busy with a dozen other things going on during a hectic game.