Community manager(s)

13»

Comments

• frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I got a great idea... lets play NS2!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    keep on topic pls..
    637hours and rising. ;)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I'm not sure that the community manager idea will help answer my questions honestly, because im not sure that the answers to my questions exist. sorry to beat the dead horse, but they never responded in the slightest to questions about alien vision... a topic that spawned a 20 page thread. how will a facilitator help.with questions that uwe doesn't have the answers for, or whose topic is uncomfortable? incidentally, anyone nominated for this role, shouldn't be quite as passive aggressive as some of you sound.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    amoral wrote: »
    incidentally, anyone nominated for this role, shouldn't be quite as passive aggressive as some of you sound.

I believe that it is just the way things are, and that its just what comes with the territory of what was a very close developer and player relationship. Although now, many players are quite bitter and then the devs become bitter/move onto different projects. As the community and devs are/were very close to the game, everyone is pretty emotionally attached to the game as well and that is where some of the bias in arguments on this forum stems from.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    many folk on these forums, while good persons, would make bad community managers.

I aint pointing at anyone for it, myself included. :)
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    many folk on these forums, while good persons, would make bad community managers.

I aint pointing at anyone for it, myself included. :)

I'd suggest someone with very little ego, and a troll hide. I'd reiterate that the validity of criticism is not couched in tone, and that negative criticism, no matter how devoid of content,I still generally has important information.

I've seen posts criticized and laughed at for being nonconstructive ragefests. but even those means that there is at least one person there who is angry enough at an issue to post, even if they might not be knowledgeable enough, or articulate enough to propose a solution. the appropriate response should not be outright dismissal, but engagement, to help them articulate their core complaint.

also, on the tone issue, ridicule is an immenselypowerful rhetorical device.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    mark kern is looking for a new job, i've heard he's a pretty good people person as well. former CEO/blizzard employee, would be a perfect match!
    I still hope to get some posts from UWE on this all. :)

(shameless bump)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Late to the party! On seeing the thread, i briefly fantasized about myself as Lord CM of NS2... but that turned out pretty disastrous =D. Too lazy to constantly differentiate out my own 'bias' now adays.

As for a real CM, I think ns2 is past the stage of that being worthwhile for UWE. There's too much 'inertia'(or not enough force depending on your perspective), at this point of the games lifecycle, and most issues have already 'settled into place'. We know what to realistically expect over the next few months (not too much understandably) regardless of how much community feedback is given, as well as the longer term i.e demo systems. I think Hugh sees that as well, hence the lack of interaction which i don't really blame him for at this point in time.

As for subnautica... you generally only need a CM when you have significant interaction between one player's gameplay experience and another player's gameplay experience. So unless subnautica is somehow going to wander from exploration to a design core that has some sort of 'competition of interests', I don't see there being anything to really manage. Unless by CM you mean glorified technical support person + "yay thanks for posting new person" person, which is what Ironhorse is already doing i think :p
    CM in the standard sense is a bridge between community and devs for any game those devs have. So while this topic is mainly aimed at NS2, a CM would be for both ns2, subnautica and any future game.

Also its never to late to introduce CMs, just how and how many depends indeed on situation.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CM in the standard sense is a bridge between community and devs for any game those devs have. So while this topic is mainly aimed at NS2, a CM would be for both ns2, subnautica and any future game.

Also its never to late to introduce CMs, just how and how many depends indeed on situation.
    The CM acts as a bridge by way of community management. Simply put, I don't see what needs managing.

It is never too late to introduce a CM, but it certainly can be too early.
    @elodea
    At that many people will disagree. For part of the community, communication has become toxic. (lets not focus on blame here)
    As on a small community that is a big percentage I would reckon its not too early.

Dont take me as a expert though.. I have some experience in this field, but do not want to make any such broad claims.
    im only throwing up the ball. :)
    sneaky bump in hope uwe hops on. :D
    *hides from mods*