Eclipse Imbalanced

CryptorCryptor Riga Join Date: 2013-10-15 Member: 188707Members
After playing few games of eclipse the map seems to be alien sided. Haven't seen marines win even one time. Last game I played after the marine team lost they immediately voted for a different map. Everyone said how the map is imbalanced and that it "sucks". ( I have played eclipse about 6 times )

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2013
    6 public games is not a very large sampling either and as @Ren26 said most marine teams don't know that agressive play wins games as it requires good teamplay and at least winning most engagements. Marines are a bit less expendable than aliens in terms of map presence.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    I really think it will turn out to be marine sided in time, if people get some time on it. I think 4 tech maps are marine biased anyway, and eclipse doesn't have nano for a free alien double res nodes. In fact, all alien res nodes are extremely vulnerable and can be attacked fairly easily from marine start. The routes to get there are just somewhat less obvious. To make matters worse, there are some nasty phase gate spots for choking off tech points and controlling 3 res nodes, people just haven't started using them yet.
  • CryptorCryptor Riga Join Date: 2013-10-15 Member: 188707Members
    edited December 2013
    The problem i have with this map that the marine team can't hold any extractors outside there base and playing as a lerk i can stop the marines expanding. It is too easy to ambush marines in triad. Keyhole is basically aliens resources tower, they need to put it back as it was in ns 1. Access alpha is annoying location for a extractor because it doesn't lead to any bases (Eclipse, Maintenance) this means you will rarely be able to defend it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    The secret for marines is to immediately rush whatever tech point the aliens do not spawn at, so you can hold those naturals while you apply pressure toward alien base.
    You simply build alpha access regardless though, with the plan that every time a certain marine spawns, you have him walk through that room to zone any skulks. (its the easiest room to defend in the game I think)
    This way, you have the naturals on the side you immediately conquered (1 shared natural) and the base rt, giving a minium of 3. If you can keep zoning alpha access, that's four.

Now just pressure alien rts and you'll be just fine
    Well playing as aliens we do exactly that. There is no chance for marines to build any extractors outside there base plus with lerks we can easily defend our resources and do counter attacks.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    People seem to be willing to go to bite extractors but unwilling to go shoot harvesters.
    If Marines put enough pressure with 2 or 3-man squads, the aliens have to defend (and stop attacking extractors so much).
    It really is a matter of people being more aggressive as Marines on pub games.
    If aliens spawn in eclipse, you hot foot it to generators and be as much of a pain in the backside as possible. Having 3 Marines bum rushing your safest harvester really gives the khamm a headache and makes expansion difficult. That allows a couple of marines an easier time of capping the rest of the map.
    It's like close spawns on summit. Marines in sub, aliens in data core? Send 3 Marines through cross into reactor. Pub aliens don't know how to respond to that :)
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Disagreed. Go play summit then
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Disagreed. Go play summit then
    I don't like summit. I'm not saying that the map is bad. I like it, it is easier for me to win as I mostly play on alien side.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Once marines establish PG in Sub-something-junction or Core-I guess-Access, match becomes very marine sided. Very easy to defend points, easy to arc hive, easy to control 3 res nodes.

It's not a piece of cake for marines. You have to work hard at first, but then aliens have no chance. Standard pub tactics = marines lose.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    You can actually arc every starting hive safely behind a wall, with a long corridor from which to protect the arcs, just fyi.
    Core access being the easiest to hold.

I agree with Roo, though, marines just get into this "build up" mentality instead of "run straight to their natural harvesters and kill them above all else" offensive mentality that is needed. Just remember the way this game is designed (ever since BT mod) .. its a time game for marines - beat the clock. (also its important to find that early gorge tunnel, its pretty much a guarantee that it exists)
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eclipse is by far a more aggressive map. You need to be quick and keep the fights going.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    People seem to be willing to go to bite extractors but unwilling to go shoot harvesters.
    If Marines put enough pressure with 2 or 3-man squads, the aliens have to defend (and stop attacking extractors so much).
    It really is a matter of people being more aggressive as Marines on pub games.
    If aliens spawn in eclipse, you hot foot it to generators and be as much of a pain in the backside as possible. Having 3 Marines bum rushing your safest harvester really gives the khamm a headache and makes expansion difficult. That allows a couple of marines an easier time of capping the rest of the map.
    It's like close spawns on summit. Marines in sub, aliens in data core? Send 3 Marines through cross into reactor. Pub aliens don't know how to respond to that :)

Though I go and hit RTs all the time, I can see why this is the case for a small portion of the community - many commanders just won't support you with ammo etc and if you knife the thing it's so easy to get ambushed and killed. It gets quite frustrating, actually...

• HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    I've seen plenty of marine wins on any map. All you have to do is stæk :-P .

That being said, all things equal, the map is EXTREMELY alien-favored with most straights less than half of straights on other maps, and an abundance of vents which haven't even begun to be abused by gorges (that I've seen anyway).

My guess is that the A:M win ratio (on average, since with ståx, anything is possible) will always be in the 75:25% range.

Blame:

- Canada
    - The engine with high inDERPolation and people with 300 ping lëling from Australia
    - The extreme lack of teamwork on most pub games, preventing marines from using shotguns which should be prevalent on Eclipse, unlike other maps.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eclipse does have some really amazing - possibly OP - ARC spots. Holding a phase in between two hive spots is very very powerful for that reason.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    My only complaint is Maintenance Hive with the long line of sight into the hive from the back corners.

Maintenance Hive, shit hive since 2005.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Just want to say that I've noticed triad is a lerk heaven. You can circle those three big pillars and pretty much be untouchable. On the marine side of things East Foyer is hell during a marine turtle, if the marines set up in there it's practically impossible for aliens to push through with enough force to threaten the base, left side of marine start isn't any better either.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    It's fun, it's different, people have knee-jerk reactions to it ("I NEVER see x win"-type responses).

However, IMO it's already pretty obvious that due to the "hardcore" nature of the map, næb servers will easily be alien-win-dominated there. The game is already skewed heavily towards aliens the more you move towards nöb on the performance scale, and that map adds extremely short distances to that.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The whole reason I like this map is because it's so sensitive- I never played the ns1 version but as soon as I saw the map layout, I could see that it would really accentuate any errors you make as a team. It's a difficult map at first to properly lane/zone on, and I've seen loads of games marine-dominated because aliens were too pack-like and didnt check important corridors (that marines happened to be using to beeline for a nasty phase gate location).

I really want to see some high-level play on this map, is it going to be part of ENSL rotation?
    Cryptor wrote: »
    After playing few games of eclipse the map seems to be alien sided. Haven't seen marines win even one time. Last game I played after the marine team lost they immediately voted for a different map. Everyone said how the map is imbalanced and that it "sucks". ( I have played eclipse about 6 times )

This happens every time a new map comes out.

A dozen people cry IMBA, MARINES ALWAYS WIN
    A dozen people cry IMBA, ALIENS ALWAYS WIN

Eventually everyone calms the fuck down and realises the 'IMBA' is due to a huge difference of skill between teams, and that eclipse is a fun map to play on.

Well i guess because I'm really good at this game most likely I'm carrying my team to victory.

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Although public players don't know how to play marines, the map is still alien favored.

The exits of Marine Start are alien favored, come on.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    Ren26 wrote: »
    Marines have to be brave and aggressive, and force combat within alien territory. Camping and playing slow allows aliens to expand.

Most pubs don't have such marines, and will allow aliens 2 easy hives and 4 RTs without much trouble, so they will win loads more.

You could call this a map problem I suppose, but it seems to me that marines have a fair chance of winning of they don't ignore certain requirements. In fact, if they go super aggressive, and get a phase gate in southern positions like south loop or comp core, then suddenly they have the huge advantage.

By saying that Marines have to be aggressive and that most pub player lack this personality admits the map is somewhat flawed. I personally love aggressive play and try to communicate with my team to persist the aggressive play because the best defense is a good offense. But more than not, whether its rookies, players who don't like aggressive play, or just players that don't listen worth a crap, Marines usually get stomped. I've won a few games on the Marine team but I can't recall losing as an alien yet.

However, if pub players would pay attention to the long corridors and natural choke points of the map (there are plenty), Marines would fare much better. But then we come full circle with the argument that most pubs players are usually just casual players who just want to play for fun and not be super competitive. So, what you gonna do? You can't please everyone.

HeatSurge wrote: »
    Blame:

- Canada

+1 for the South Park reference. :D
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe the best map right now(for high skilled players). Its not too easy for marines like the rest of the maps are with huge corridors. I like it.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    NeXuS wrote: »
    Ren26 wrote: »
    Marines have to be brave and aggressive, and force combat within alien territory. Camping and playing slow allows aliens to expand.

Most pubs don't have such marines, and will allow aliens 2 easy hives and 4 RTs without much trouble, so they will win loads more.

You could call this a map problem I suppose, but it seems to me that marines have a fair chance of winning of they don't ignore certain requirements. In fact, if they go super aggressive, and get a phase gate in southern positions like south loop or comp core, then suddenly they have the huge advantage.

By saying that Marines have to be aggressive and that most pub player lack this personality admits the map is somewhat flawed. I personally love aggressive play and try to communicate with my team to persist the aggressive play because the best defense is a good offense. But more than not, whether its rookies, players who don't like aggressive play, or just players that don't listen worth a crap, Marines usually get stomped. I've won a few games on the Marine team but I can't recall losing as an alien yet.

However, if pub players would pay attention to the long corridors and natural choke points of the map (there are plenty), Marines would fare much better. But then we come full circle with the argument that most pubs players are usually just casual players who just want to play for fun and not be super competitive. So, what you gonna do? You can't please everyone.

Blame:

- Canada

+1 for the South Park reference. :D

I don't think the imbalance will last though. Marines always lost Veil until they figured out not to suicide nano. Eclipse just needs some basic strategy to trickle through the pubs and marines will win more, unless the server is mostly green.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    - The engine with high inDERPolation and people with 300 ping lëling from Australia
    Goddamnit MF. giving us a bad name again.
    My only problem with the map lies with the straight hallway where the res tower SHOULD BE At horseshoe. guis. wtf is dis.
    @auron2
    In testing, for months, maintenance starting hive always lost that RT to marines who would just sprint there directly at round start. (one of the reasons maintenance starting hive was deemed imbalanced and not worth gathering data on, so we'd reset whenever starting there)
    The hallway between horseshoe and keyhole that u turns south was specifically made to slow this down, and allow aliens a chance to defend their natural RT.
    But, that wide empty hallway just before the RT is still death to most aliens who step in it, so just plan accordingly. (read: bait them)

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I have almost never seen marines win this map!
    And I spend a lot of time talking rookies through the game.

COuld be bad luck, even me playing all those eclipse matches is nothing compared to the ns2 population.
    But rookies at the least pickup ns2 play a lot slower in eclipse, as marines.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    I agree with Roo, though, marines just get into this "build up" mentality instead of "run straight to their natural harvesters and kill them above all else" offensive mentality that is needed. Just remember the way this game is designed (ever since BT mod) .. its a time game for marines - beat the clock. (also its important to find that early gorge tunnel, its pretty much a guarantee that it exists)
    This works with other maps too, however in Eclipse it seems it is the only valid strategy for Marines (except hoping for maint hive). Also exos / onos have less to none use.
    I hope the map gets reworked. It looks astonishing and performance is better than biodome. However if things stay like this it will be removed from map rotations of various servers (already been removed on the one I mostly play), or skipped like Mineshaft.