Only 10 fps performance, a little help please with config setup or/and graphic cards settings etc

TcOTcO Join Date: 2004-09-22 Member: 31860Members
Hello all,

I haven't played since 1.04 and I'd really like to tbh. I did have NS2 downloaded a while back, but after doing a new install just now I remember why I didn't really play. I only get 10 FPS :S, wich is unplayable.

I'd used to know what to do about it, but in this console I'm completely lost, I also don't want to run the commands each time I play, is it still possible to setup a custom config that gets executed each time you start the game?

I remember having a config file full of tweaks to get a good performance in NS1.04, if anyone could help me to set up a decent config and get a good performance it would be greatly appreciated. Also some help with the little tweaks that might be possible, like the good old gl_overbright 1 or hud_fastswitch 1 or whatever.

And can the fps issue be caused by my windows or my graphic cards settings maybe? My ping and internet is good anywayz, don't think my machine is to crap to run the game. But also remember I used to change some stuff in my graphic card to make ns run better, vsync stuff. But my tech knowledge has greatly decreased the last years and I don't even know where to start.

If someone can hand me some solutions, thank you very much.

TcO.

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Well we cant say as you only left out every info we need. /grins.
    Welcome back!

In your ns2 folder is a techsupport.exe. If you run this it will create a shiny zipfile with all sorts of basic tech info we would like to have. Run it and give the file to us. :D
  • TcOTcO Join Date: 2004-09-22 Member: 31860Members
    Hello DC_Darkling,

I've attached the ZIP file. Bit of a struggle to find the NS2 folder lol. I was looking for it as a hl mod :D. After a while i realised I was in the NS1 folder :p.

Thx for the help.

Regards,

TcO
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2013
    Your graphics card ( Geforce gt 230) isn't powerfull enought to run NS2 properly, if you have a laptop then, well, game over man, if not, buy a decent graphics card.
  • TcOTcO Join Date: 2004-09-22 Member: 31860Members
    It's a 4 year old pc :). It still runs other stuff though, shame oh well guess I'll have to buy a new one soon.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2013
    Your cpu is good enought (i7 2.80Ghz), buy a Radeon 7850, geforce 660 or similar (~140 €) and NS2 will run well.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm judging from this comparison in terms of what is inside those chips:

http://www.hwcompare.com/576/geforce-gt-230-vs-radeon-hd-4850-512mb/

I'd say that 3Dcard is the cause of this, that HD4850 was already running into trouble last year and with all the new stuff that was added to the game I'd say that old, yet more powerful card than the G230, would be in the same troublespot.

That Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 CPU is being held by a leash so to speak by that card I think...
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Hmm judging from this comparison in terms of what is inside those chips:

http://www.hwcompare.com/576/geforce-gt-230-vs-radeon-hd-4850-512mb/

I'd say that 3Dcard is the cause of this, that HD4850 was already running into trouble last year and with all the new stuff that was added to the game I'd say that old, yet more powerful card than the G230, would be in the same troublespot.

That Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 CPU is being held by a leash so to speak by that card I think...

Obviusly NS2 runs bad beacuse of that card. That geforce 230gt has only 32 cores, while a modern geforce like the 660 has 960, for example.