What Do YOU Think Of New Menu Music?

cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
edited December 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I personally don't like it as much. First of all, it doesnt really sound like the original NS2 menu theme that much, and 2nd I just dont like it as much as the original NS2 menu theme. Perhaps make it switchable?

Discuss.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    New menu reminds me of deus ex, don't know why but i like it. @coolitic There are plenty menu mods out there, pick one you like.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    But the mod menu is SOOOOOO far away!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think I still have music off since that once bug which I think is fixed, but I like the ns2 music.
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    I think using the NS1 theme is nice for nostalgia's sake, but I'm not impressed with this track to be honest.
    To me it sounds like the original NS1 theme and a NS2 track mixed together. And they don't mix well. I would have preferred a new interpretation of the NS1 theme, take the motif, adapt it to the NS2 instruments/style. This "mashup" track doesn't sound like a coherent musical piece :(
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I want the old ns1 track back, that means that everything that is changed kinda disturbes me while I am listening to the music. It's like: Hey the old song, no wait, sth is strange here... But I like the idea of bringing more ns1 songs back. They were awesome.

Cetero censeo, we still need a main menu jukebox with all available tracks. Why force sth on the player if he could actually choose what he wants to hear. That is always better!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I personally find it quite nice, aand what senti said, Maybe an ingame jukebox too? (for those who play with the music on)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    I personally find it quite nice, aand what senti said, Maybe an ingame jukebox too? (for those who play with the music on)
    Go to Club. Press F :)
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    wait wait wait, coolitic doesnt like something new? ;P

Heheheh, just kiddin man. Personally I never have music volume enabled so I haven't listened, but I will take a listen now.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    It's sad the amount of people who haven't turned the music back up after the annoying hive death music :-S
    What do you mean samusdroid? Why do ppl turn off music?
    The hive death sound not stopping, so people turned off their music and haven't turned it back up.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Which was finally fixed a few patches ago
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Yes, that would be me. I still dont like the hive death/chair death music, though. Does it still play or did they just fix the loop error?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's sad the amount of people who haven't turned the music back up after the annoying hive death music :-S
    I am one, I think its time I turn it on again.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
  • Mac1OManMac1OMan Join Date: 2004-10-29 Member: 32510Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I truly hope they keep some form of the NS1 theme, even the current version of it is better than the NS2 one. I am very happy with the return of the theme, however I agree that it does feel off a many points with the mix of the 2.
    Yeah it seems that the NS2 elements are almost non-existant. Also, even if they do make a better mix, an option to choose would be nice.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Go to Club. Press F :)
    Well i dont play games with music on. so the club is awesomely quiet.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I liked the old one better.
    I wonder if UWE is gonna do anything about this?
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about just cycling between tracks?
    I can pretty much guarantee there won't be an option for this, ever, so don't get your hopes up.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    edited December 2013
    The NS1 track had some really creative use of percussion that drove the theme forward which built up a ton of suspense before the horn part. Once the horns take over the theme, it builds into this crazy dissonant chord progression with the lead voice getting passed to the strings. It's hard to anticipate the violin part if you've never heard the theme before, but the line has so much support in the brilliant chord work that helps carry it that it never seems to lose it's feel of suspense and mystery game after game.

Two things:

1) The way it was cut and looped actually drops the energy which the older track used to build. My first time hearing it, I thought the music was on some broken loop because the instrumentation doesn't resolve using any rules of classical orchestration from the end of one chunk into the next. It sounds like it stops and starts again, like a pop.
    2) The percussion in the original NS1 track was written to build tension using complex syncopation. The added drums fill space that was intentionally left blank, ultimately destroying that syncopation and muddling the whole mixture into something entirely different and comparatively aimless.

This track is an unclever mashup as compared to the original, which unfortunately is what a lot of NS2 players are going to come to know as the theme of NS2. NS2 music to date has not had any music that comes across as strongly as a resounding "theme" (which is not a bad thing - RTS games often avoid themes in their music to avoid colouring players' emotions). It is, in my opinion, not a faithful adaptation of the original composer's work.

Source: University education in music. I'm really not just blowing steam on this one.
    edited December 2013
    I might make a mod to choose which song.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    I mean I like the old music better. I don't mind the change of scene. Does anyone have any issues with some of the lit posters on the "city" buildings Z-fighting by the way? I see them on the main menu, but in-game they're fine. I think we need some moar of those hilarious "fixed leaves going through glass" changelog entries for the new main menu :-D ...
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    It needs more brass instruments, like trumpets.

This. This is MUSIC!
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    I almost forgot there was any music in the game at all. Had it off since installation. Might turn it up just a tiny bit for giggles but I generally rather hear skulks instead.
  • ZagiZagi Fra,ce Join Date: 2013-12-26 Member: 190844Members
    I miss the original theme already, please revert back or make it switchable...
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    edited December 2013
    I still have not turned it on, but I am almost always listening to other music when I play anyways.