The Flamethrower is not very flamethrowery

2»

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Shame in 6v6 you can't loose the dps of the 5th player for a support weapon. It would possibly become viable with the introduction of HMG (higher dps) as it would allow a support weapon to be played while maintaining similar dps.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I can see a FT working in 6v6 during a 4 or 5 man push on a hive. Every one would need to be playing perfect though, there's not much room for error. Protect the guy that's up near the hive with the flamer.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Oh man, the nostalgia. Reminds me of the old volumetric flamethrower threads from the olden days.
  • FreekerFreeker France Join Date: 2013-10-28 Member: 188858Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    As said, FT has a lot of use. But it feels weak on its own, especially without JP.
    FT without JP = walking steack with autocooking device.
    FT with JP = BBQ of death grand master
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Freeker wrote: »
    As said, FT has a lot of use. But it feels weak on its own, especially without JP.
    FT without JP = walking steack with autocooking device.
    FT with JP = BBQ of death grand master

It does feel weak on its own. Good thing this is a team game.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Before release, UW intended the flamethrower to be volumetric -- filling vents and going around corners, etc. However, its my understanding the game engine just couldn't do this without severe performance problems. Too bad, it would have made for much more interesting close quarters combat.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    It's 25 res that you will lose very quickly, since you are easy to take down by anything but a Skulk (and even Skulks can easily kill you if they catch you off guard). If your commander doesn't medpack you fast enough, you will lose it very quickly because aliens will easily wear you down, focusing on the weakest link.

It becomes very frustrating if the survival of such a high investment depends solely on the competence of your team mates and not the guy who actually made that investment.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    It is in a weird spot though because an uncoordinated team can't use them, but a coordinated team is probably good enough to just buy a bunch of shotguns.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    its easy to kill 2 skulks and allow the rest of the team to kill a non regen or adrenaline... if u die.. guess what?! ppl can pick your gun up! 2 skulks down, possible team kills of higher lifeforms, and rushing their healing stations, for a recyclable weapon... seems worth it. shooting around corners is just going to piss people off even more about dying around corners...
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Before release, UW intended the flamethrower to be volumetric -- filling vents and going around corners, etc. However, its my understanding the game engine just couldn't do this without severe performance problems. Too bad, it would have made for much more interesting close quarters combat.

Butt, still perhaps the animation could be made prettier and more flame like?

• Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    I think FT is okay. Problem here is that people use it as weapon and not as support. I.e. to stop buildings from active, to burn down spores/umbra/bile, stop energy regen etc. Should probably more communicated how it works, because it isn't really intuitive in all regards.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Probably 3 shotguns if they can aim. That's just instant death.

Yup. 221x3 = 663 = dead fade
    221x2 = 442 = fade can run away.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Omega_K2 wrote: »
    I think FT is okay. Problem here is that people use it as weapon and not as support. I.e. to stop buildings from active, to burn down spores/umbra/bile, stop energy regen etc. Should probably more communicated how it works, because it isn't really intuitive in all regards.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Probably 3 shotguns if they can aim. That's just instant death.

Yup. 221x3 = 663 = dead fade
    221x4 = 442 = fade can run away.

I see wut u did there!
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited December 2013
    funny that everyone is going off about balance when the OP's main gripe is about the animation...... The OP is right about the animation/"physics" of the flame out of the flamethrower is terrible. It should more closely resemble the flame in the flamethrower in Team Fortress 2.

In it's current state, it just completely terrible and not what one would expect ouf of a flame.
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    Oh gawd, it begins.

I remember when people started bitchin about the flame not matching the hitbox in TF2.
    That weapon went through a lot of changes and it took a long time.

It´d be easier to replace the thing with something that is always going to be broken from one angle.
    Also it destroys my fps when I´m trying to eat as a skulk.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    Zek wrote: »
    It's unpopular because it doesn't fill the role that most players want from it
    This is what people seem to expect of it:

The only decent use I have for it is to stop an Onos killing a power node. Their energy completely disappears.