What Subnautica Means for NS2 Development - Natural Selection 2

2»

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @SamusDroid has been working on water for NS2.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    @SamusDroid has been working on water for NS2.

Good, that way we can all relax together in a hot tub in the ready room. Maybe play some rounds of "Firetruck."
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    UWE,

I want to make it quite clear to you that NS2 rode the success of NS1. It had an extremely rocky start and probably would never of reached the finished stage had it not been for the outpouring of support the NS1 community gave to the game both financially and developing (maps / mods / ect.). NS2 was the sequel to NS1, Subnautica will not share this same level of support. I'm very surprised your not making a game that appeals to your current audience (oldschool hardcore fps). You are totally going off tangent and will need to reel in a new audience, because NS players will simply not transfer over to your new game. It's not our cup of tea...

Saying that, it's exciting to you see developing a new game. Best of luck!

• ParallaxParallax Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7739Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    I want to make it quite clear to you that NS2 rode the success of NS1.

While this is true, bear in mind that NS2 was also the first major game from a new studio. Before this many of the members of UWE had not sold a game commercially before. The didn't know the channels for promotion and didn't have an established audience.

Now that they have experience, a studio, a team that works well together and a name in the industry the game development should be a lot smoother. But all games are hard to make.
    I'm very surprised your not making a game that appeals to your current audience (oldschool hardcore fps).

In my opinion this is both a good point and also flawed. While UWE is going to have to cultivate a different audience, hardcore FPSes with a tough learning curve (think NS2) tend to shed new players by design. Perhaps that isn't such a good idea.

Also, I see UWE's specialty as that of creating entirely new genres or mashups. Think how amazing the FPS/RTS combo was back when Natural Selection was released. It was an entirely new concept. Not so much now.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Feha AND Samusdroid have had water done for months
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Can we get a bit more info on what subnautica is?

Also, I suggest you get a bigger development team, but first you obviously need to find a way to make more money (so subnautica better be good!)
  • beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    Really looking forward to this. :)
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Is the limited draw distance for entities in NS2 giong to be existant in SN? Or will murky waters make it a non-issue?

The same way the fog on the first Silent Hill games worked :D conceal the fact that the engine can't render more XD fog/murky water = secret loading screen :P

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    For one thing, WE want a change. UWE wants to work on a variety of different projects, because that keeps us motivated, and it allows us to broaden our portfolio as a company, and our experience as employees. It also allows us to expand beyond the core playerbase of NS2. I think you shouldn't speak for all NS1 players, when you say they will not transfer over to our new game, and give them a little more credit as players who don't just want to play the same type of game over and over again.

All that said, the positive reception that NS2 was met with, the success it has had, has given us a platform for getting a much greater level of support then we had when we first started NS2. Just this recent public announcement of SN speaks volumes. Back when we were first showing off NS2 it was a struggle to get any gaming site to mention us. Now, just putting out a mention of a new game, with little to show but some concept art, got us coverage on every single major gaming news outlet out there.

Good stuff Cory :) My post was a bit doom and gloom wasn't it, best of luck bud!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Is the limited draw distance for entities in NS2 giong to be existant in SN? Or will murky waters make it a non-issue?

SN is not using Spark, Its using Unity (If I remember correctly) so whatever the draw distance can be in Unity, is what it can be in SN
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    In the SN forums, multiples have asked for ns2 themed easter eggs. Do it UWE. Do it.
  • Scorpion9908Scorpion9908 Australia Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Subnautica will not share this same level of support. I'm very surprised your not making a game that appeals to your current audience (oldschool hardcore fps). You are totally going off tangent and will need to reel in a new audience, because NS players will simply not transfer over to your new game. It's not our cup of tea...

I beg to disagree. I also play minecraft and enjoy the alpha of space engineers. Going full circle to underwater building blocks is just the next step in the minecraft genre.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Clorf? Sounds like a name from Christian Morgenstern's poetry.

To be fair, UWE didn't come up with the name.

Seriously, though, when you read CH. M.'s poetry, sometimes you get the feeling he is familiar with UWE development process, just see for yourself:

Anxiety for the Future

Korf, whom worry easily attacks,
    Can already see the skies
    Filled by balloons of every size,
    So all day he prepares whole stacks
    Of draughts for bylaws and statutes
    Of a society for resolute
    Maintenance of a zone designed
    To keep balloon-egress confined.

Yet even now he can smell doom:
    His club already falls behind;
    The air, it seems to him, goes blind,
    All the landscape turns gloom and tomb.
    Therefore he puts down his pen,
    Turns on the light (they all will, THEN!)
    And goes at once to Palmstrom's place;
    They sit together, face to face.

After four long hours, finally,
    This nightmare is overcome.
    First to break the spell is Palmstrom:
    "Be a man now, Korf;" says he,
    "You've got hold of the wrong era;
    As yet, this is a vain chimera
    That tricks your intellect away,
    Bobbing over your head today."

Korf recovers his own clear sight–
    No one is flying in the golden light!
    He snuffs his candle, silently;
    Then, points to the sun suddenly
    And speaks: "If not today, sometime!
    One day you will no longer shine,
    At least for us–it makes one's teeth
    Chatter–the masses underneath! . . ."

Thereafter, von Korf once again
    Sits in his room and takes his pen
    Drawing up a vast design
    For the protection of sunshine.

• nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    why are you not using your lua engine for this?
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited December 2013
    why not take the scubanautica assets when you are completely done with ns2 and use them to finally make a khahara map, all existing ones are in space or on earh. make a map for the aliens or maby a biodome looking facility or underwater base ala atlantis style on their planet.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    RadimaX wrote: »
    why not take the scubanautica assets when you are completely done with ns2 and use them to finally make a khahara map, all existing ones are in space or on earh. make a map for the aliens or maby a biodome looking inderwater base ala atlantis style.

That's NS3. We still don't know the Origins of the Kharaa.

• killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    why not take the scubanautica assets when you are completely done with ns2 and use them to finally make a khahara map, all existing ones are in space or on earh. make a map for the aliens or maby a biodome looking inderwater base ala atlantis style.

Yes we do, read the lore behind the original ns_origin and it explains a lot more than you'd think
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

Yes we do, read the lore behind the original ns_origin and it explains a lot more than you'd think

Brilliant! Now let's port it to NS2.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I do not fully understand the nonuse of spark for Subnautica. (I mean free engine vs one I expects is licenced.) Feels the hard work for your own engine falls a bit short.
    BUT I havent a inkling on the workings of engines so thats probably a part of my lack of understanding in this matter. I am sure the choice was well thought of. (And I can imagine Max needs to have time to do engine for 2 games)

As for subnautica, not having read to much yet what its all about, I see a big plus noone has yet named in this topic or the news post.
    Its a new game. If UWE does this correctly it means another thing which will sell, meaning income & continued business for uwe. Continued business for uwe does mean continued NS2 support where that be a lot or few, it be continued.
    In that regard alone, any new game should be welcomed.

So welcome subnautica
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    i dont know the lore or origin behind kharaa or how you spell it.
    10 marine maps with aliens in them is unfair, so make 1 alien map with 10 marines in it instead! :)
    Just thought anything BUT marine facility would be cool, aliens always wanna infest marine ground.
    Maby reverse it and have a very infested facility from start on their planet. Or atleast a organic spaceship crashed with lifeforms and infestation trough the facility or even outside.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Making it non-competitive, and since it doesn't exist in a multiplayer environment, side-steps many of the bottlenecks that have never been addressed in NS2, very clever!
    I look forward to this game, and what it means for UWE! GJ!
  • Visor1Visor1 Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140300Members
    does this mean we'll get a water map for ns2 :D
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    " For one thing, WE want a change. " <- Thank the Gods, for a second there I thought you were all robots!