What Subnautica Means for NS2 Development - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited December 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageWhat Subnautica Means for NS2 Development - Natural Selection 2

Today, a new kid arrived on the block: Subnautica. Subnautica is an open world underwater exploration and construction game being build by Unknown Worlds. That’s right, the same developer that makes Natural Selection 2! Sometimes siblings get along, sometimes they do not. NS2 is the bigger brother in the Unknown Worlds family, and it is understandable that some might be concerned that the younger, newer game might steal love and attention  from the older one. The last thing anyone wants is a nasty sibling rivalry that hurts NS2. What does Subnautica mean for NS2? Does it mean that NS2 will stop getting love and attention? Is Unknown Worlds abandoning NS2? Absolutely not! Subnautica will have no effect on …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Manually created comment thread, as the automatic system is currently broken. Original post: http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/what-subnautica-means-for-ns2-development/
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Huzzah!

As long as Max is tinkering away on Spark (as I imagine he is), then we can actualy expect NS2 being updated for performance and gfx features quite long into the future.

Also, I am hella excited for Eclipse.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    @hugh
    matchmaking making a cheeky appearance in 62? <3
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    As the new game is not on Spark I find it unlikely he's working on it (often).

It's good that NS2 is still getting updates, (yay eclipse coming). But support for this game has noticeably taken a back foot.
  • Ren26Ren26 Join Date: 2013-06-30 Member: 185811Members
    The game (ns2) is in a great state right now.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's pretty good except for the perf. bugs introduced in reinforced yes.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow!! I'm hyped!! I love the setting you choose and that you stick to Biology & Technology!

I remember the times of "Subculture" and "Schleichfahrt", these were the times were i thought that the deep sea is more terrifying than the deep space.

I wish you all much success and i am glad that i stuck with you all the years!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    so why is it still 1 post in 14 days on http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/ ? i check the homepage every day...
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    RadimaX wrote: »
    so why is it still 1 post in 14 days on http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/ ? i check the homepage every day...
    It is obvious the game is still being worked on, regardless of how often a blogpost comes out. Read the forum, devs are active here concerning NS2 still. Along with the playtesters.

2 weeks ago is not an eternity.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Right now, I am very pessimistic about NS2. Nobody has ever confirmed the new problems reintroduced by the latest content patch are being worked on. Well, good luck with your new game.
    I can confirm at least some of them are being worked on. By Samus anyway (who isn't UWE). Not sure about anyone else working on fixing the issues (I know sewlek is still working on the game but he's more balance/features than fixes) though. COULD BE, I just have no confirmation of such.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    RadimaX wrote: »
    Use RSS. It will save your life.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Is the limited draw distance for entities in NS2 giong to be existant in SN? Or will murky waters make it a non-issue?
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Interesting concept with the water and stuff. What kind of game is it? RPG strategy for singleplayer? Real-time? Turn-based? Both? It's all very unclear...

Is it Spark or not? Too bad if isn't. Both games could benefit from that. Subnautica could even tie in to the NS2 universe (underwater on some planet). I hope that's the case.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just to shed some light on that draw distance thing. Subnautica isn't using spark, buy spark is still being worked on.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited December 2013
    Today, a new kid arrived on the block: Subnautica. Subnautica is an open world underwater exploration and construction game being build by Unknown Worlds. That’s right, the same developer that makes Natural Selection 2!

I don't know, the concept doesn't grab me, it essentially sounds like underwater minecraft.
    Shifting to a developed engine for a project like this is a good thing but Unity suggests that UWE may be aiming for browsers and mobile devices as well.
    If thats the case I'm guessing there's also a big chance of a microtransaction model thats typical for games present on those platforms.
    It could just as easily mean they want a console release though.
    Time will tell of course as there isn't much to go by so far.
    Subnautica may yet surprise me.
    At this point though, my excitement level for the game is sadly almost non existent. I guess I was hoping for something else.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited December 2013
    Looking forward to following UW in subnautica. It reminds me alot of Motherload, which I enjoyed.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Subnautica isn't using spark
    I'm gonna be honest, that feels like a massive kick to NS2's balls

Id say its the exact opposite. Spark has enough problems as it is, imagine the world of issues that would come with trying to accommodate both games at the same time.
    Another factor is Sparks current optimization. Lets be honest, it still needs some work. Using it to build what is supposed to be a huge procedurally generated open world doesn't sound like the best idea just yet.

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    It means that ns2 won't profit from implementations of new stuff into subnautica. But I swore I would not buy another uwe game that is using spark, so I have mixed feelings about it.
    edited December 2013
    It means that ns2 won't profit from implementations of new stuff into subnautica. But I swore I would not buy another uwe game that is using spark, so I have mixed feelings about it.

Id say NS2 will profit much more from having Spark being a dedicated NS2 engine (at least until much much further in its development). Having two teams tinker with the engine to best suit their game is much, much different than building on top of a complete framework. As an example, think of how engine changes affect NS2 mods, and imagine how this could potentially affect development of two vastly different games.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    @hugh
    matchmaking making a cheeky appearance in 62? <3

Early matchmaking features were scheduled to appear in 262. However, progress was not as smooth as we had hoped, so it is now unlikely. Other good stuff will come though!

There is lots of good discussion about why SN is not using Spark over on the SN forums. There is no conspiracy, the reason is exceedingly simple: The people who work on Spark are not part of the SN team.

You can find out who is working on SN in this article. None of those people works on Spark.

When creating a game, the capabilities of a particular team must influence tools used.
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    Huzzah!
    Also, I am hella excited for Eclipse.

Me too. It's a great map, it gives all the nostalgia you would hope, and it will be a great addition to the NS2 map group!

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, is Subnautica gonna be set on planet Clorf, like NS2?
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members

Id say NS2 will profit much more from having Spark being a dedicated NS2 engine (at least until much much further in its development). Having two teams tinker with the engine to best suit their game is much, much different than building on top of a complete framework. As an example, think of how engine changes affect NS2 mods, and imagine how this could potentially affect development of two vastly different games.
    That actually makes sense. Still, it would be nice to have the water stuff and what not in NS2...

By the way, I saw this great comment at some other site: "Why not call it Nautical Selection?" :)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Namm wrote: »
    By the way, I saw this great comment at some other site: "Why not call it Nautical Selection?" :)

Jesus Christ, UWE. You really dropped the ball, there. [-(
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Clorf? Sounds like a name from Christian Morgenstern's poetry.
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Clorf? Sounds like a name from Christian Morgenstern's poetry.

To be fair, UWE didn't come up with the name.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    "Namm wrote: »

Jesus Christ, UWE. You really dropped the ball, there. [-(

In Subnautica everything Hovars Without Flapping...

• CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    so, i was like to say "we can finally have water in ns2???" but then i read the spark stuff.. :(
    anyway, sounds nice.. good luck.
    and nice to see flayra 'back' at work again!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Cico wrote: »
    so, i was like to say "we can finally have water in ns2???" but then i read the spark stuff.. :(
    anyway, sounds nice.. good luck.
    and nice to see flayra 'back' at work again!

oh???? Water you say

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113181405&searchtext=water