Ever wondered what the creators of Dystopia were up to?

EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
This ;)

Steam Store Page

Personally the genre isn't my cup of tea, but I'm happy to throw some cash at the developers for all the hours I sunk into Dystopia.

Comments

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Looks pretty cool, but something about the camera or animations bothers me, I can't quite put my finger on it. It just looks too jittery and jerky essentially. Needs to be smoothed out for sure.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Agreed, such as after you take a hit and the animation snaps back to your stance instead of smoothly transitioning to it. It seems to be the main critique of the game so I'm sure they'll do their best to fix it.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Stabbing Simulator 2013

Not my piece o pie, but looks well done.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    edited May 2013
    friend of mine emailed me saying he'd got this and after playing it thought it was right up my alley, so I'm downloading it now. Considering the apparent lack of female characters I do wonder if he knows me as well as he thinks he does :P

I'm curious to see if it grabs me as much as the somewhat unapproachable 'Arche Blade' did. It's not that easy for people to get into but it had its hooks in me for a bit. Here's hoping Blade Symphony can do something similar.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Looks sort of stiff and I've had enough of that from Chivalry.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dystopia sure is the shizz, isn't it?

But yeah, like others said... While this looks well done it's hardly my preferred genre.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    edited May 2013
    Looks... interesting. The motion is definitely on the weightless-jerky side, like someone slapping around rag-dolls instead of calculated weight and movement. As someone who knows how to use an actual sword, they all appear to have no weight or mass at all when it comes to actual striking, changing direction, dodging, running, or performing any action seen in the trailer.

I get that they want to speed it up to make it exciting, or jump onto the w̶a̶g̶o̶n̶ b̶u̶s̶ t̶r̶a̶i̶n̶ supertanker of 'Anime-styled' r̶i̶p̶o̶f̶f̶s̶ games, but it just puts off the enthusiasts, which really is their main target market. They need to take a note from Chivalry, and less of one from <*insert current weeaboo circle-**** series here*>.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    edited May 2013
    Talesin wrote: »
    <*insert current weeaboo circle-**** series here*>.

*IMAGE REDACTED.* The NS forums are not the place for image-macros. Use your words. -Talesin

I just gave it a very, very quick shot tonight and was left both baffled and unimpressed. I'm sure there's a great deal of depth in there somewhere but as many mention it feels quite clunky and stilted so I'm finding it hard to play to the point where I find it.

On the upside I did at least win a duel very quickly by noticing I could chain light 1 into medium 2 to get the fencer's swirly attack out faster and with better reach resulting in my opponent turning into meatpaste. I'm sure it's easy to block or whatever but I have no idea what's going on when I try to play and neither did my opoonent so it's at least a start :P

It may have been lag but the movement felt quite stuttery: I moved in increments rather than smoothly for most actions. There's no real sense of weight to the characters nor their swings and air moves and swings in gneral feel oddly disconnected by the space of time it takes me to fire one off. Its still early dev so I'm willing to give it time to see what happens but there's nothing in there to grab me just yet.

Oh! Before I forget, the community was very friendly though, which is always nice :3
    Had some peoples trying to help me learn the game, but ultimately it wasn't the basics that were confuzzling me but the higher level play of it (aka I understand the idea of the strings and stuff, though I'm not sure why you'd use some of them and wasn't feeling the important differences between many of the moves which are no doubt there)

Between this and Arche Blade I'd probably recommend Arche Blade personally, but it's early days yet...

• 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    It's on guys! They just released a massive patch 1.4.
    Here's the changelog:
    http://www.punyhumangames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=22818
    I only looked at dys_vaccine so far, and I think they did quite a good job of enhancing the (even when the mod was released) quite dated visuals.

Let's revive this thing!