Dear Santa, can we please have a proper Server Browser after 1 year from release? Thanks.

wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
edited December 2013 in Technical Support

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That's because of reserved slots. It's working as intended.
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    edited December 2013
    Their design must have been bad on purpose then...

I mean, how many players actually have reserved slots? And even then, you probably have a slot on ONE server.
    The way servers are filtered now just makes it more annoying for the greatest majority of players.

What's the point of having a "Filter full" option if it doesn't do its job?
    A server that has reserved slots free, is NOT full only for those with reserved slots (= 0,1% of player base)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's not FULL full, it could change and it's kinda hard to detect unless it really IS full.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's not FULL full, it could change and it's kinda hard to detect unless it really IS full.

Yea, I get it, the non-reserved slots are all taken, some reserved slots are still available.
    Still, this way of displaying data isn't useful for most people out there :(

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You clearly understand it's not really full, it ONLY happens on servers with reserved slots (admittedly a lot of US servers) can't you just read how many people are in it and not join it?
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    can't you just read how many people are in it and not join it?

The whole point of filtering is to avoid doing that.

The only way I see getting around this is having another check box that says "incl. reserved slots" or something. When checked it will filter those out if its currentPlayerCount is >= reportedMaxPlayers.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Or add another tag to the severbrowser next to the rs_x one which let the server display as full.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Server browser is indeed deficient imo. Showing player count as "22/22 + 2" or "22/24 (2)" would be less retarded; and inform correctly the player.

And it shouldn't be up to the player to guess how many reserve slot there are @Ghost @ your 2nd-to-last posts above.
    RedSword wrote: »
    Showing player count as "22/24 (2)..."
    That's exactly the way Battlefield 1942 handled it ;)

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    @redsword
    Wheres the reasoning in that?? If the player cannot join because there's no spot available to them, due to reserved slot or full - then the player does not need to guess anything??
    If instead, the player has a reserved slot on that server, then they would not need to guess.

In short.. where does that server browser make a player guess whether they can or cannot join a server? Because i dont see it.

I do agree, however, that adding a parenthesis next to the number would help those that cannot fathom what 18/16 means. (i suggested this very thing long long ago)

@op want me to close your thread, since it seems like you just didn't understand what was occurring? (server side mods)

• RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    @IronHorse : I forgot how fun it is to wait to load the map and download all the mods of a server. And then join the ready room, get a "server is full, slot is reserved" and then get kicked.

Very fun. Much wow.

"where does that server browser make a player guess whether they can or cannot join a server"

... some 22/24 are 24 public slots server, some are 22 public slots + 2 reserved slots... There is no way to know, hence guessing ( seriously ? ...)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @op want me to close your thread, since it seems like you just didn't understand what was occurring? (server side mods)

Well, I have no idea about the technical limitations.
    I was convinced it was a bug at first, since I had no hints about slots reservation, that's why I made this thread.

Is there a way for the client browser to:
    a) know reserved slots information about servers
    b) know whether the user has a slot reserved on each server?
    edited December 2013
    Not currently, but this could be changed by modifying the client (--> UWE's job IMO).

I'm not saying that this will make it works instantly, but it would at least allow server's mods to use/implement that.

Egg-and-chicken problem.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Nothing at all can be done about those server side mods that lure you in. That's how they wish to operate - they obviously don't have to do it that way as many other servers have demonstrated. Take it up with said server owner.

Same goes for servers that say 22/24 running a custom solution. (i only know of one server that does this - they made their own system and prefer it like this for the same reason as above)

Other systems that ghoul maintains do not have this issue Afaik. Hence the obvious 18/16 servers you see in his screen shot.

@wopwop
    Yes to the first one, there is an official implementation but last i checked it's broken.. Which is fine really considering how few people ever tried using it over shine etc. In the first place. Ideally it should only be relevant info when you cannot join, i. E. 18/16.. Else it remains transparent.
    I agree this isn't the best method.

No to the second One, but... Wouldn't a player already know if they had a reserved slot on a server?? I've never heard of any server browser having this feature, ever?
    I want to see the following change tbh.

currentPlayers/maxPlayers(numAvailableReservedSlots) (peopleInQueue)

Note no space between maxPlayers and the (.
    Also note that I want to see a proper queue system where you don't get luck of the draw refresh join and actually get a position in queue for the server.
    No to the second One, but... Wouldn't a player already know if they had a reserved slot on a server?? I've never heard of any server browser having this feature, ever?

It's not about informing the player whether he has reserved slots, but using that information for filtering.

Consider a semi-full server (full non-reserved slots, available reserved slots).
    If you don't have a reserved slot, I would flag that server as full, hence not displaying it.
    Otherwise, you could join it, hence display it.

That's how that information could be handy.

edited December 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Also note that I want to see a proper queue system where you don't get luck of the draw refresh join and actually get a position in queue for the server.

Does it work like that D: ? Duuh... can't really call that a queue xD
    Auto-join sounds more appropriate to me.
    Yeah it's more of an auto join, basically while it's going every 10s it refreshes the server details and if there's a slot it will join. Unfortunately that means that you can be sitting there waiting for 30 minutes as 6 people get lucky and were on a better 10s refresh cycle and got in before you.
    edited December 2013
    @ghosthree3
    Steam's auto join works the same way.. many times I've been booted. There's no real referenced list or "queue" that exists for either steam browser or ns2 browser

@wopwop
    Those are custom made reserved slot systems that do that intentionally by the server owners.
    Afaik shine will report a server as full the second reserved slots go into effect.
    For example

16/18 is not full and you can join
    18/18 is full and you cannot join
    20/18 is full with 2 reserved slots in use, and you still cannot join

Which, pretty much takes care of any need to filter out that info.. Although i do see your point that the server browser includes those that are 20/18 even though you have filtered full servers.
    I'll see what we can do about accounting for that implementation.
    I know, that's why I WANT a queue system. Steam has an excuse, it can't know how each game functions, so having an auto join regardless is pretty great tbh. The game has no excuse, it should have a proper queue system.
    I'm trying to fathom how that would work, in my own head...
    I'm not even sure thats ever been done before.

i think you would need some dedicated server to ping and reference lists of queues.. hmm
    Bad Company 2 did it. BF3/BF4 do it. I'm sure a ton of other games do it.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    I'm trying to fathom how that would work, in my own head...
    I'm not even sure thats ever been done before.

i think you would need some dedicated server to ping and reference lists of queues.. hmm

Just create a list with queued clients at server, if one player leaves block server still as full and wait like x sec if client 1 tries to connect if so let him in otherwise check for client 2 and so on.

On Client side if server is full get queue pos as return instead of just server is full, then try to connect every x secs.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Never been trolled into a server with auto join for any other game except NS2. They're doing something this game isn't.
    edited December 2013
    NS2 is the first game i need the steam server browser to join friends ....
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    The only complete solution would be for ns2 to officially support reserved slots, and for a user to be able to tell the server browser on what servers they have reserved slots. Then the filters could work as intended.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Servers with no free public slots should be filtered out as "full" in the [public] server browser. Not sure why the simplicity of this is not taken for granted.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Ideally it should validate a steam id on request and let a slot be created on the fly for a reserved player to join but this takes a lot more time to code.