When is performance going to be focused on?

swansongswansong mk Join Date: 2013-11-04 Member: 188985Members
edited December 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I have two problems with this game in terms of performance.

1. The load times are so long... like I have it installed on an SSD and it takes 4/5 times longer than any other game. When I'm waiting 60 seconds for the game to load compared to 5 seconds on everything else... there is a problem, especially seeing as the game doesn't have a lot to load.

2. Massive server lag, they just cannot cope with the game, constantly I'm killed after running around a corner, but also the hit detection is shit and constantly I have that thing where I'm warped back slightly and it is annoying!

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It's not just about it being lua. They lacked experience when they developed the game and as such it's a little sloppy in some areas. That all adds up to a lot of sloppiness when executed.
  • LastdonLastdon Join Date: 2012-06-29 Member: 153767Members
    It isn't the game it is the engine.

The scary thing about it is they are using this engine for future game endeavors. So expect really bad net code for their next release.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    joshhh wrote: »
    Performance has literally doubled over the last year.

Not true. It did double, until after 249. Since then performance has decreased, ESPECIALLY post-reinforced.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    They have.....this is as good as it gets unless they completely rewrite the game making it like 10 times more optimized.

We believe in you SamusDroid! heh

Honestly, that is one of the things the game needs the most imo. The lua implemented game code for this is eating performance and killing modding potential at the same time (due to needing strict consistency checking alongside of it).

Still, even if that probably won't ever happen, the game performance has been steadily getting better over the years. My current bottleneck is actually my graphics card.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited December 2013
    oh well, if they rewrote the engine entirely now, it's probably gunna be as good as or better than source, Eta Spark 2? maybe goldspark?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm not sure how you're getting 60s load times on an SSD, I'm running a really old sata drive and my load times are almost always less than 90s.

In fact speaking of load times, I had a map load in less than 10 seconds the other day. Very strange.

I need to stay away from threads like this, I love this game so much but I feel passionate emotions of sadness and anger when I think about how good this game could have been compared to what it is (and unfortunately will never be).
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Performance has literally doubled over the last year.

Not true. It did double, until after 249. Since then performance has decreased, ESPECIALLY post-reinforced.

My frames have never decreased. In beta I used to get 60-80 early game, now I am getting around 150 on vanilla servers and 180-200 in NSL maps.
    *shrug
    There's a lot more to performance than fps.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    I guess we were talking about two different things. I just have not noticed any server performance issues that have gotten worse in quite some time. Mods have broken performance but the vanilla game has felt the same.

Not really worth debating though. Carry on.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I don't mind the loading times. What I do mind is the omnipresent micro-stuttering and rubber-banding that never leaves you entirely. Entities come close? Have a little lag, friend. It even serves as an early warning that skulks are waiting in ambush. Want to fire a shotgun - here's a micro delay before the shot just for you. Arc's firing, grenades exploding, lerks spiking? Lag and more lag. Don't tell me my machine sucks - my system is quite well optimized. Most of it is server-side or network code problems anyway.
    edited December 2013
    I guess we were talking about two different things. I just have not noticed any server performance issues that have gotten worse in quite some time. Mods have broken performance but the vanilla game has felt the same.

Not really worth debating though. Carry on.

I won't argue my points or anything, but I'm not talking about just server performance, I meant there's more to client side performance than fps.

Also, not everyone is equally affected by all issues.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Also, not everyone is equally affected by all issues.

Everyone has a different set-up, I doubt any 2 rigs will be the same (except for branded computers), some people with high end machines can just shrug off some of the issues, whereas people with a less powerful machine can be absoloutly brutalized by them.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    4. This thread makes me sad.

There there, it'll be OK bud
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My only problem is endgame performance and GPU utilization. Early game my GPU utilzation is near 100%... but due to the game code being so intensive and single threaded... endgame performance flattens my GPU utilization to 50% (cutting my frames in half).

Not sure how much more can be done to optimize the game code. Grahpically, the renderer is extremely fast and lean. The amount of entity updating and end game code is where the game becomes slower. I still hit 60fps... but given the fact it could be 120 if GPU utilization was unhindered by game code...

Yeah, you get my point.

This begs the question, why does end game cut down GPU utilization soo much. Shouldn't the multi threaded rendering make this a non-reality?
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    1. Server lag is on the server's end unless there's a recent bug occurring that has yet to be reported. Official servers having issues is known and the cause is known - its being worked on.
    2. Hit detection in this game is damn near flawless. You show me clear footage @ 30fps minimum with net_Stats enabled, showing actual hit detection issues and i'll shower you with gifts and fame. Til then - what you are experiencing is accurate hitboxes and you missing.
    3. Load times are due to the anti cheat measure of consistency checking, (thanks to Samus for discovering this) the degree of their thoroughness is entirely up to the server owner to set. Without consistency enabled, you can load any map in under 10 seconds. (THIS IS A NOT-SO-SUBTLE HINT TO WELL ADMINED SERVERS)
    4. This thread makes me sad.

As I mentioned in the thread where it was discovered (and was ignored), completely disabling consistency checking drops my load times by nearly half but it's still over 45 seconds.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can remember way way back in alpha, they released you could run around a little bit of the map, and little popups so you could shoot at, and they would fall down, I played this with 5 FPS @ 800x600.
    Fast forward a few years (yes i have upgraded my computer now) the performance is in such a good place, alot better than what it was before, i average around 130-160 FPS (if i overclocked it would be 200)
    Most issues you get is either:
    Server based - Having to many mods running on it, or not set up correctly
    Game Bugs - Some things just keep poping up, you fix something, another thing breaks, its an endless cycle :)

So on short, Performance has increased ten fold from this time last year.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Should make a poll or such, who plays with what effect on, normally. I'd be the one with everything turned off.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    I'd love to see some more performance improvements, though there's no denying that they've already made great strides since the early days of release and probably have most players running the game smoothly.
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    swansong wrote: »
    2. Massive server lag, they just cannot cope with the game, constantly I'm killed after running around a corner, but also the hit detection is shit and constantly I have that thing where I'm warped back slightly and it is annoying!

Dont play on bad servers. Sadly there are only few servers that can handle the game. In game type net_Stats to console -> if server tickrate drops below 25 remember the name of the server and dont play on it anymore. Many full servers drop to 5-15 which is unplayable and most players dont even know its the server that is lagging -> blame the game for bad performance -> makes rookies quit

• soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    swansong wrote: »
    I have two problems with this game in terms of performance.

1. The load times are so long... like I have it installed on an SSD and it takes 4/5 times longer than any other game. When I'm waiting 60 seconds for the game to load compared to 5 seconds on everything else... there is a problem, especially seeing as the game doesn't have a lot to load.

1. I would kill for 60 sec loading. Mine is near 5 minutes.
    2. Don't forget your skulk has a long body. Your eyes may be around the corner but not your ass. Its the server operators fault. I only have banding on larger servers. Though to be fair they could tighten this area up a bit.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited December 2013
    2. Don't forget your skulk has a long body. Your eyes may be around the corner but not your ass. Its the server operators fault. I only have banding on larger servers. Though to be fair they could tighten this area up a bit.

Being killed around a corner is more of a lag compensation issue, I imagine it goes something like this:

Player A is gleefully chugging along as a Skulk.
    Player B is trying to mercilessly shoot down said Skulk.
    Meanwhile, the server is doing some investigating. It takes a look at where Player B is shooting and after some intensive meditation, a slow-motion flashback and a cup of tea deduces that Player A was in that exact spot at the time this was happening. In the mean time Player As client merrily skips around the corner blissfully unaware of the terrible news its about to get from the server. Inadvertently, the news arrives via singing telegram and the message is delivered to the tune of Meatloafs smash hit power ballad "I would do anything for love (but I won't do that) extended version. This leaves Player As client with no other choice but to comply.
    The Skulk falls over mid jump leaving Player A grasping their head while screaming obscenities at the screen.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I feel like i get killed more often recently by skulks that look the other way. Even had a lerk kill me two times after he flew 3m past me. Ping was around 30-40 for everyone. It's like im hunting temporary displaced future aliens. You can't trust what the game is showing you. And that is never good for an ego-shooter and especially melee combat :(
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I feel like i get killed more often recently by skulks that look the other way. Even had a lerk kill me two times after he flew 3m past me. Ping was around 30-40 for everyone. It's like im hunting temporary displaced future aliens. You can't trust what the game is showing you. And that is never good for an ego-shooter and especially melee combat :(
    I think the games netcode makes that an impossibility right?

If you have your crosshair on a model and pull the trigger... it will hit them no matter what. Right?
  • swansongswansong mk Join Date: 2013-11-04 Member: 188985Members
    I also get this problem where the game constantly drops to like 0fps for a second and then it's fine, like real bad FPS stutter and it is really annoying because it often just gets you killed.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Being killed around a corner is more of a lag compensation issue, I imagine it goes something like this:

Player A is gleefully chugging along as a Skulk.
    Player B is trying to mercilessly shoot down said Skulk.
    Meanwhile, the server is doing some investigating. It takes a look at where Player B is shooting and after some intensive meditation, a slow-motion flashback and a cup of tea deduces that Player A was in that exact spot at the time this was happening. In the mean time Player As client merrily skips around the corner blissfully unaware of the terrible news its about to get from the server. Inadvertently, the news arrives via singing telegram and the message is delivered to the tune of Meatloafs smash hit power ballad "I would do anything for love (but I won't do that) extended version. This leaves Player As client with no other choice but to comply.
    The Skulk falls over mid jump leaving Player A grasping their head while screaming obscenities at the screen.
    An accurate rendition.
    Over the course of development the game for me has gone from unplayable to runs reasonable well. This being on a machine that wasnt really new 3 years ago.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow