Shade hive first needs a boost

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
I would love to see a shade first hive be as viable as crag or shift hive first. Hallucinations are useful, but they should automatically follow the alien they're spawned from after the initial 'fly away' spawning mechanic. Anybody else have good tips for commanding shade first?

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Personally I think that shade first ruins the game for the marines, and atleast half the aliens.

Competitively it is a strong start (if and only if not used as a substitute for proper ambushing), but not helpful once marines establish. And they will establish better because you have shade.

Maybe if cloaking was removed and something more cool replaces it
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As long as Mucus Membrane and Storm are clearly more useful than Hallucination, Shade will always be worse... I admit that is just a restatement of what you just said.

Maybe if the Hallucinations automatically move around like the AI to at least pretend to be a real person, that might help.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think if you could activate the cloak, and it cost energy. It would make it better.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Get rid of hallucinations and replace it with something else.
  • FAIL_MurdocFAIL_Murdoc Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187257Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    I would really like to see shade hive getting a little buff. Just enough to make it a viable starting option again.
    Hallucianations can be good, but first of all they are a pain in the ass to manage. Try to hallucinate a group of aliens: every hallucination runs in some random direction. You basically have to select them individually and send them where to go. And when a hallucination stands inside an alien: good luck clicking it;)

Aside that they probably only work well in pubs. Any experienced player will be able to tell if an alien is hallucinated or real.
    Microing a drifter on shade hive doesn't have a direct impact on your players (healing them/making them faster).

Cloaking and Aura are definetly not bad, I don't think they need to be changed. It's just the drifter that needs something better imo.

How about Drifters being invisible on shade hive?
    Or a ability that instantly cloaks your aliens?
    Or Ink in combat as a drifter ability?

I'm a big fan of how the game plays on shade hive, but It's a little weak.
    I would really like something changed so we can see it more often in pubs and comp play aswell :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Idea.. how about a (3rd) upgrade. (if we dont like 3 on shade, we can combine upgrades like combine it with aura)
    Ink.
    If a alien with the ink upgrade gets shot, ink spawns around the alien. the more health lost, the bigger the cloud. (with a max)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    would really like to see shade hive getting a little buff. Just enough to make it a viable starting option again.
    Hallucianations can be good, but first of all they are a pain in the ass to manage. Try to hallucinate a group of aliens: every hallucination runs in some random direction. You basically have to select them individually and send them where to go. And when a hallucination stands inside an alien: good luck clicking it;)

This changed in build (260?) I believe. While selecting the drifter you can click "F" to select all hallucinations to remove the need for individual selection. It took the empty spot that storm used to occupy. I successfully duped a comm the other day on descent into sending lots of ARCs into receiving outside hydro by hallucinating a hive there, which was pretty fun. Would like to see more of that deception stuff expanded upon.
  • FAIL_MurdocFAIL_Murdoc Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187257Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    aeroripper wrote: »
    This changed in build (260?) I believe. While selecting the drifter you can click "F" to select all hallucinations to remove the need for individual selection.

oh that's neat, didn't even know that:D
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    I wouldn't mind it if the shade drifter ability was a short cloak/silence for all alien everything in the AoE.

[EDIT] Even if they were moving
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Scatter wrote: »

Perhaps a hallucination could cause a marines vision to go all distorted and vivid images appear, you know, like a hallucination
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    How about giving hallucinations to the lifeform? Make a fake skulk attack an rt, or make a bunch rush into the enemy base and force a beacon, without actually running in. Probably a limit of 1 fake skulk per skulk. Just an idea, not sure how it would work.
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    well the first/second step would be to buff Ink in some sort of fashion, whether it's increased duration, reduced cooldown, increased range, allowing multiple shades to ink together, or decreasing the res cost of inking.

the other first/second step would be a buff to hallucination. My first and personal favorite buff i'd like to see would be to make hallucinations as realistic as a player, this means giving them ragdoll animations, common player movement patterns (wall running for skulks, belly sliding for gorges) and most importantly of all, when they die it does NOT say "Player x killed hallucination" It instead says "Player X killed player Y". with player Y being the name of the player who was hallucinated. this means you don't really know if you killed an actual fade, or a hallucinated fade, which is FANTASTIC deception and should be relatively easy to code in.

Please please please make that a reality.

PS: I would love to see the ability for the khammander to create and assume direct control of a Hallucination of their choice. Obviously it wont do any damage.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited December 2013
    Twig wrote: »
    Scatter wrote: »

Perhaps a hallucination could cause a marines vision to go all distorted and vivid images appear, you know, like a hallucination

I think that would piss people off. all about the vision clutter. maybe (I know this is like CoD) make the marine who is near a hallucination to have their minimap go fuzzy? or have the alien upgrade to bite a marine and then make things a bit static-like to sorta confuse them. but that may b op and clutter too much...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Give the focus upgrade to the shade upgrade chambers. Fades would enjoy it.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    drifter provides an invisibility AoE. A highly mobile shade.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    drifter provides an invisibility AoE. A highly mobile shade.
    This seems incredibly overpowered
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    IAny experienced player will be able to tell if an alien is hallucinated or real.

That depends so hard on stuff
  • Cee Colon SlashCee Colon Slash Join Date: 2012-05-25 Member: 152581Members
    I wouldn't do anything that alters the marine player's perception - we already have enough of those effects such as the Rupture effect.

What I would do is add some bot AI code to the created hallucinations. There is some pretty good code out there, much better than the current "walk to the waypoint" option you have as a khammander.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    You guys seem to forget about the silence part that comes with the camo, not to mention aura. In pubs where 99.9% of the commanders you face don't play the game any differently no matter what hive the aliens have shade is a super powerful start if you have semi good aliens. Then one I guess could argue if you had good aliens you'll win no matter what but personally speaking I would rather get shade upgrades first as a player then any other upgrade in a pub.

On the other end shade hives are generally the one I fear the most early on as marine because good skulks and lerks are annoying as fuck with it.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    At this point any set of upgrades is viable. Phantom and Aura are just as useful as the upgrades you get on a Crag or a Shift hive.

The main thing holding Shade back is hallucinations. They just aren't that good and nowhere near as useful as Mucous or Enzyme
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Maybe hallucination should dupilicate, or say even triplicate the alien it's cast on, and those duplicates would move in exactly the same way as the player who it's cast upon? So it would seem like three identical Skulks were attacking you a-.....................................................no it wouldn't work because walls and stuff... Damn it. Sounded so good.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I'm with @current1y ... When I'm a marine I don't think "oh *** cara/celer". But I do get a bit more panicked when I realize shade is out..., This in turn requires the alien team to capitalize early game on this advantage because if they get stuck with 1-2 hives life forms get squishy when lvl 2/3 weapons are out.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    100% cloack and focus. tadaaaaaaa
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    If anything, shade and hallucination need a buff, because aura and phantom are the only abilities that give you actually new abilities, instead of making you do other things better/longer. I think they are more powerful than crag (mind you, i'm only playing pubs).
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Krovakon wrote: »
    well the first/second step would be to buff Ink in some sort of fashion, whether it's increased duration, reduced cooldown, increased range, allowing multiple shades to ink together, or decreasing the res cost of inking.

But then we will have the problem of unarcable (yes unarcable is now a word) hives as ink blocks arcs from arcing.

ps. did i mention the word arc?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Ink is actually very strong against arcs already.

Perhaps it could have more of an effect on alien players though. Like an alien that runs through an ink cloud is then protected from 1 scan? Or can't be detected by passive obs range. Or both.