How intuitive is the alien tech tree

BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
I was playing a few games tonight with some greens, several of which were trying to learn to command.

Twice while on Aliens, the Kahmm did not understand how to upgrade any lifeform but gorge.

After explaining that the research had to be started on the actual structure, they both got the idea, but they could not understand preforming upgrade research from support structures.

My question is, how many people are OK with lifeform upgrades being researched from support structures?

Personally, I think that it is much more intuitive to have lifeform upgrades all researched from the hive. They can be made dependant on a specific structure from there, as long as there is a centralized place from which to research lifeform upgrades.

Comments

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Benson wrote: »
    I was playing a few games tonight with some greens, several of which were trying to learn to command.

Twice while on Aliens, the Kahmm did not understand how to upgrade any lifeform but gorge.

After explaining that the research had to be started on the actual structure, they both got the idea, but they could not understand preforming upgrade research from support structures.

My question is, how many people are OK with lifeform upgrades being researched from support structures?

Personally, I think that it is much more intuitive to have lifeform upgrades all researched from the hive. They can be made dependant on a specific structure from there, as long as there is a centralized place from which to research lifeform upgrades.

don't worry toomuch about it, the current tech tree will be infinitely more intuitive than the next iteration. if past trends are any indication.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    Before the Beta Test mod pretty much died off, I was 100% in favor of the "Evolution Chamber" (Might have been called something different)

It was pretty much like an Alien Arms Lab, where each lifeform's abilities could be researched individually [And of course, higher/more expensive lifeform's upgrades costed more Tres]

[The counter argument though {I think} was that a "Evolution Chamber" would make alien/marine commanding too similar]
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    you don't knowhow much I laughed when we discovered that they had thtown skulk upgrades onto the whip.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    I agree that the alien upgrades should be on the hive. The way it is now is definitely unintuitive and sometimes frustrating to find the structure you want in a hurry if they are all clumped together (especially if they are shaded).
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    I think you solve this by doing the com tutorial, I believe it tells you this. If not it should probably be added, and it should probably be added somewhere as a tooltip if not there already.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Well, it was more or less ok when you had to research individual abilities at structures, not lifeforms.
    Now structures are like zodiac signs for aliens. "I was born under whip sign, let the power of whip protect me".

Not to mention that it made things extremely linear. Unlock whole lifeform, get abilities one by one via biomass, upgrade chamber gives alien choice between 2 upgrades. I like how before you could do silence only, so your team is actually more active, as opposed to camo, which makes part of your team stationary. Or make regen only, to encourage more hit and run play style, rather than tanking damage.
    Having multiple traits available and all the abilities unlocked at the same time is good for field players, as they will eventually have everything to fit their personal playstyle, but for commander it means no actual choice. You can't rush X ability with Y trait for some awesome team tactic, so team has little choice, but stick to the plan. Every player has a complete freedom of choice, so you can't make Silent team, as part of it will be using aura, you can't force adrenaline skulks on team, so they can use multiple leaps in combat to surprise marines. It is not as effective, yes, but it could be something new to see and something new to learn for players who stick only to their own abilities.

Sad part of previous tech tree incarnations was that some abilities almost never got researched. Xeno, vortex (old one), umbra. People had no idea how strong xeno is, until it became automatically unlocked in almost every game.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    I still have to think real hard sometimes to remind myself where I can find which upgrades. :) I can imagine how confusing it must be for rookie comms.

Anyway, I've always been in favor for individual ability research, on the hive, as it used to be. Find clustered abilities to be quite a bit more limitating for a commander actually. It backfired in a way, because lerk and fade upgrades like umbra and shadowstep have become pretty rare in my experience, while almost every game you play will have gorge upgrades first.

In any case, clustered or not, I'd prefer them to be put on just one structure (hive or otherwise). As said before, there used to be talk about a seperate upagrade structure in the BT mod, but that was a while ago and I've not heard of it since. :(
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    As someone who religiously hates the current tech tree, and lets people know often, I completely agree. The current system gives even less choice and results in even more abilities not being seen than the crappy on hive research pre-BT system.

If abilities are un-researched it is because they aren't good, and if they aren't good then they should be made good instead of forcing me to unlock for a whole lifeform so that I don't overlook abilities that don't need to exist such as shadow step, or abilities that don't make sense such as crop duster spores in the excellent rego state we find ourselves currently.

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yea, I have to agree the current implementation of the alien tech tree is as lackluster as the previous iterations. Not only that, it's now also incredibly unintuitive indeed. I think getting rid of individual upgrade research (3 shells for cara,3 for regen, etc) was a good move though, there was very little actual added value in giving the commander the ability to research them separately and it gives some control and diversity in playstyle back to the individual players.

Would love to see individual tech research for alien lifeforms attempted again in one form or another, an 'upgrade chamber' sounds absolutely fantastic imo.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2013
    Let's see, multiple of the same building required, lifeform upgrades spread out on random structures, biomass, just biomass, and special mention to drifters even though they aren't tech per se... I give it a 3/10.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    I don't know why they couldn't put all the links in one place, even if they want to leave the actual research on the structures. In other words, give the comm a big tech tree to look at, and if he clicks skulk upgrade it will select a whip and start researching skulk upgrade on that whip.

It's not like Starcraft where there are a million things to get. There are 6 upgrades besides crag/shift/shade.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    "How intuitive is the alien tech tree"
    0%
  • SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    I don't find the upgrades tied to "active" chambers to be very intuitive. I don't mind "unlocking" different stages of an upgrade via biomass, but I really dislike how the game forces me to build a Whip so I can research leap. I like the idea of evolution chambers that each can research any lifeform upgrade at a time. Not sure about whether upgrades persist when the evolution chamber is destroyed. I would vote against that and keep the availability ted to biomass level. That said the whole biomass thing is not too intuitive either, but I get why it's neccessary and I don't really have an alternative in mind.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    \make a drifer -> transform to evolution drifter (it gets fatter and slower) -> select evolution.

When in danger you can move them (slowly) off.

Edit: or 'move them of' ?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I also dislike the current alien tech tree, for every reason listed above.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2013
    Nazo wrote: »
    Before the Beta Test mod pretty much died off, I was 100% in favor of the "Evolution Chamber" (Might have been called something different)

It was pretty much like an Alien Arms Lab, where each lifeform's abilities could be researched individually [And of course, higher/more expensive lifeform's upgrades costed more Tres]

[The counter argument though {I think} was that a "Evolution Chamber" would make alien/marine commanding too similar]

I think Andi said back then that the Evolution Chamber is not completely out of the window. But it would require new art/models, which makes it a less favorable option at the moment.

I agree that having some of the research on support structures is rather unintuitive, and one of the intended effects (deny aliens those upgrades) basically never has any practical use.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    As long as the chamber isnt exactly like the arms lab - where Tier 1, 2 and 3 techs are all tied to one singular structure in the original heavily fortified base and not at all dependent on map control... then it'd be fine.

You either need to physically spread out tech around the map, or have the tech availability based on map control requirements.
    i.e. 2nd hive allows research on X, but if 2nd hive is lost, you lose it again.. even if its on the evolution chamber. (similar to how biomass and other upgrades currently work)

Even the other night commanding i had to constantly hit the J key to see the tech tree to remember which structure unlocks which lifeform.
    I had originally mocked up designs which allowed for easy visibility of this when we were testing reinforced, but the tech tree ended up doing that, and in the end i feel like its not a communication issue so much as an unintuitive issue.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You upgrade skulks by building a whip.

/thread
  • XipXip Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185863Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    CCTEE wrote: »
    \make a drifter -> transform to evolution drifter (it gets fatter and slower) -> select evolution.

When in danger you can move them (slowly) off.

Edit: or 'move them of' ?

This. I like this.

(and move them off, you were right first time :-D )
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    IMO, I find it easier to remember what goes where by knowing what the structures stand for:

Whip - melee - Skulk
    Hive - base - Gorge
    Shift - movement - Lerk
    Shade - deception - Fade
    Crag - defense - Onos

Not that I agree it is an intuitive system, but it really isn't that hard to remember. I would welcome a centralized upgrade system (e.g. Evolution Chamber) with open arms.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It certainly is fairly unintuitive I do admit; however, it does mention in the tooltips on mouse-over which upgrade corresponds to that structure. So all in all it's just a touch of memory that is needed currently.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Jekt wrote: »
    It's a disaster. The problem with having the evolutions on the hive is that only 1 research is possible at a time. All the evolutions + hive type + biomass is too much for one thing to have to research. I do very much like the idea of an evo chamber though. Multiple of them can be dropped to get around the research limitation and it's much more intuitive then getting leap via the whip.

Why must only one research be possible at a time? Why not limit to 1 in each category (upgrades, biomass, tech) or something. Or as many as you want.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    It's good to have everything spread out, it gives more reasons to build a particular structure.

As for what building you need for a specific upgrade, use your "show tech tree" bind, default J.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ots wrote: »
    It's good to have everything spread out, it gives more reasons to build a particular structure.

As for what building you need for a specific upgrade, use your "show tech tree" bind, default J.

Many new players do not know that the tech tree key exists.

Perhaps UWE should include a "Tip of the Day" quote on the loading screens to teach people about such things.1

As far as encouraging variety in buildings, I think that if they would not be built without incentives, that is a symptom of weak buildings.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Yeah, i've clocked 500 hours and i had to recheck that it even had them :D. So it's definately under advertised, or promoted by other players. This can be one of the many thing we should tell to the rookies on live servers when we see them make these questions.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    PsiWarp wrote: »
    I
    Shade - deception - Fade
    :-?
  • catolmcatolm Norway Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188909Members, Reinforced - Silver
    edited December 2013
    Since you posted this I decided to make this.
    Here you go, a server mod that does exactly that.

Ignore this for the time being. Somehow it works when I run it client side through console map blabla, but as soon as it is put on a server it stops working......Will remove these lines whenever I have found out why and fixed it. Cheers :)

The Real Shit
    . Upgrades 2 Hive
    .. Built on Build 261
    by Chariot

This is a server mod: C082815

This mod moves the upgrade icons from Crag, Shift, Shade and Whip to the Hive. It only moves the icons, you still need a Crag to upgrade Onos, a Shift to upgrade Lerk, a Shade to upgrade Fade and a Whip to upgrade Skulk.

hive_up.jpg

Cheers. Chariot
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The reason why they aren't on the hive is because Biomass is on the hive and it would be too slow if you could only do 1 upgrade at a time for both biomass and lifeform evolutions.

But that being said having them on support structures is clearly a horrible band-aid fix and doesn't add anything to the game other than making alien commander less intuitive.

The sad part is that there was actually a great solution in BT for a while with the evo chamber. Simple but extremely logical idea that fixed the problem entirely. Unfortunately the BT died without explanation shortly after the evo chamber and a lot of other good changes were added, alas