Spectator Mode taken the Player slot too?

FreedomFighterFreedomFighter Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189777Members
This is bad, sometime i want to see how the big match play but can't because it's full :(

Comments

• SolarisSolaris Join Date: 2003-05-11 Member: 16213Members
    I can recommend Reddog's VODs on Twitch.tv or YouTube. You can see some really great matches there. Of course you don't have control over the camera there...
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Tons of recorded games out there if you're interested. A lot of "past broadcasts" on twitch on various channels, both first person stream and commentator.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    For example, our commander occasionally streams scrims from his POV, as does Hynips of WongaNS. This is a great way of seeing more of higher level play, how teams communicate with each other, some of the thinking behind plays, and so on. Have a gander at this for an example from a pcw last night: http://www.twitch.tv/maxamus_ns2/b/484936326 complete with mumble chat comms.
  • FreedomFighterFreedomFighter Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189777Members
    But shouldn't Spectator not eat up slot would be better for newb to watch how the game play out?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    There should be spectator slots yes, (not too many). However there aren't for I'm going to assume the following reasons. Firstly it would hurt server performance a bit (not as much as an actual player, but it will hurt it, especially if the server is bandwidth low). Secondly it would take some time to implement that, server and client code needs to be changed, servers need to know the difference in slots and to restrict them to spec only mode etc. Clients need to know how to join in that mode. Thirdly I think the devs just don't see it as worth it because of those reasons.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    Technically the specatator is just another client for the server, causing as much load than any other client. Therefore spectators consume player slots.

In fact i would suggest to watch to given streamers as it also helps you alot more than spectation ingame as rookie. Because those streamer know the game and so try to focus important sites of the map, where it can happen to you as rookie that you don't even notice round changing actions sometimes.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The TacticalGamer.com server allows you to spectate 8v8 games without using any of our 16 player slots, and you may change which voicecomms you hear (one team, both teams, nobody, only other spectators, etc, etc) at any time as a Spectator.

It's easy once you know how it works, but there's a few things you need to know to best enjoy it. You can find details and ask any questions in our TGNS forums.

Spectating on our server can be REALLY fun.
    edited December 2013
    Don't you also redirect people to other servers and have reserved slots that cause people to get kicked after joining though?
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    We don't redirect.

We do bump complete strangers. Regulars tell me they're rarely bumped once they're on the server.

On topic: Spectators are never bumped.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited December 2013
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    We don't redirect.

We do bump complete strangers. Regulars tell me they're rarely bumped once they're on the server.

On topic: Spectators are never bumped.

interesting policy. new people? screw em. bump em! srsly tho, I've lost all respect for those servers and Admins. but that's just my humble opinion.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Don't you also redirect people to other servers and have reserved slots that cause people to get kicked after joining though?

TG servers are actually extremely well managed plus you get a free reserve slot for registering. :D
    I should have mentioned, too: the two longest-connected complete strangers on the server are immune from reserved slots. They won't be bumped. On the contrary, they'll all night experience the server's gameplay at its best: when it's full of regulars. This design helps consistently introduce complete strangers to the best we have to offer.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Never heard about this bumping before. Do you mean kicking?
    I /do/ in that I mean "removed from gameplay", but I don't insofar as you're still on the server, invited to spectate until a gameplay slot again opens up.

Accepting that removing folks from gameplay is a "necessary" evil: getting to watch (and maybe rejoin?) the game you just got yanked out of beats staring at a "Kicked" dialog.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Wyzcrak First time I played on the server I was bringing the alien team back from a losing state and not even a minute after I went Onos I got bumped back into the ready room and muted because the "game was full." I searched high and low for your TGNS Primer and my game crashed while alt tabbed. *Grumbling noises*

Also is there something else like an Icon you can use to signify the players that signed the primer. People keep thinking that P> is a clan.
    oh yea, mixed your server w. kkg. been banned from both I think tho. I know, go to their forums blah blah but I'd rather join a different server.

spectators should be told to join up if the server is full. if they don't leave, then by all means, kick em.
    @IeptBarakat Ugh. First time. That's the worst. You're not really incentivized at all in that scenario to figure it out and return. I'll see if I can tweak the reserved slots logic in time to lessen the likelihood of this bumped-before-I-even-know-my-way-around-the-server-and-forums-etc scenario.

If you ever feel like giving it another shot, you can find the TGNS Primer in our Required Reading in our forums.
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    joshhh wrote: »

TG servers are actually extremely well managed plus you get a free reserve slot for registering. :D

*Registering and agreeing to the server rules get you a semi-reserved slot.

You can still potentially be bumped by a paid subscriber, also known as the people that pay to keep the servers running. As far as I know the Tacticalgaming.com network is not-for profit in all the games it operates in.

The reserved slot logic is more or less something like this: Pay money you will never get kicked, do some reading and agree to be civil and put effort into working as part of a team when you play and rarely get kicked. The general idea is that as a new player on the server if you are interested in the way the games are played on the server you will look into or ask how to stay on the server. Refer to the link @Wyzcrak posted above for full details.

I enjoy the games there and play most of my NS2 there (when my terrible internet lets me anyways) so I got myself set-up for a semi-reserved slot and rarely have issues getting into or being booted from a game.

Edit: Emphasis added
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

That's KKG... you know... the server group every comp player in existence is banned from.

You can still potentially be bumped by a paid subscriber, also known as the people that pay to keep the servers running. As far as I know the Tacticalgaming.com network is not-for profit in all the games it operates in.

The reserved slot logic is more or less something like this: Pay money you will never get kicked, do some reading and agree to be civil and put effort into working as part of a team when you play and rarely get kicked. The general idea is that as a new player on the server if you are interested in the way the games are played on the server you will look into or ask how to stay on the server. Refer to the link @Wyzcrak posted above for full details.

I enjoy the games there and play most of my NS2 there (when my terrible internet lets me anyways) so I got myself set-up for a semi-reserved slot and rarely have issues getting into or being booted from a game.

Yea I spend about 90% of my time there.
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

That's KKG... you know... the server group every comp player in existence is banned from.

Yea I spend about 90% of my time there.

No wonder ns2_hotdogs is still not complete...
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    If OP is talking about watching an NSL match, I think the rules are there can only be a ref and a caster in the lobby. This plus the 3 minute delay prevents ghosting. So, as others have stated, the best option is to find a Twitch channel that casts the match.
  • RunkiRunki Helsingborg, Sweden Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173929Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Heres a question,
    How do i become a better caster if i cant practice on any game since I get kicked instantly as a spectator
    Ask if you can practice on scrims I guess. Then if you do it enough you'll be well known enough to maybe not get kicked.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Runki wrote: »
    Heres a question,
    How do i become a better caster if i cant practice on any game since I get kicked instantly as a spectator
    1. Practice.
    2. Tell people its what you are during.

If you tell people that you are casting, they are likely not going to kick you.
    But, you might want to sign up as caster in the ensl. So you can cast some actual games instead of pugs.
    Alternative, ask the teams permission to cast thier scrims.
    actual game isn't pugs? what abt pubs? or is this the ''competitive'' attitude?
    It's not a competitive server, and there's no set schedule, but anyone interested in casting matches on the Tactical Gamer servers may contact me such that I can help ensure they're able to grab a Spectator slot at their leisure. Lots of competitive players play there, and/or it may be good practice for folks wanting more casting time.