X Ray for spectator mode

The_Flying_FishThe_Flying_Fish Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23757Members
reading about eissfeldt getting vacced just alerted me that this isn't already in the game? the code's already there in the form of parasite so it should work fairly simply in pressing x when you're on team spectator puts everyone into a parasite state and pressing x turns it off again (pretty much identical to cs:go).

71nCF0S.jpg

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    This would eliminate the need to use chams to catch cheaters.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    I wanted to say something when I first saw this before patch was out.... Press flashlight.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This has been updated in 261
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No. The outlines mentioned in the changelog ONLY work in the top down or freecam view. In first person view they will not activate.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's intentional that they don't highlight in first person.
    edited December 2013
    So this doesn't help with not needing chams to catch wallers though. Because anything but fpv is useless there, and xray is disabled in it.

EDIT: I actually have to wonder what the point of adding it for anything BUT fpv was. From top down view you can see everyone just fine without them being outlined, and from freecam (which is barely used) you pretty much can too. Exception being a ton of combat in one area where people overlap from a free view perspective.

EDIT2: Here's my idea for it, if you're in fpv and turn it on, every PLAYER gets a bright green (or some vibrant colour that doesn't conflict with anything common in the game) outline. Or just the enemy team, I assume it's easier to do both though.
  • The_Flying_FishThe_Flying_Fish Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23757Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's intentional that they don't highlight in first person.

is the intention to make sure it's still 100% useless? cs:go has it function in fpv when spectating and that doesn't seem to have destroyed the game through some sort of elaborate means of cheating. infact it's there to help catch hackers!
    That's andi's thing. I didn't make those decisions, could be a bug but I doubt it.
    Bumping dis. Please allow the xray on first person.
    edited December 2013
    First person isn't going to happen. It's a lot more complicated and could introduce many new bugs.
    Can I ask why it was added at all then? There's no value in having it from top down view for casting or anything, it just looks annoying.
    For streamers, not hack prevention. You code it and get it working, and maybe then maybe Andi will include it.
    I understand it was clearly added for streamers since it's not for hack prevention. However, what made whoever did that go, "yeah, we need that". Frankly if I see a streamer using outlines on everything that I can already clearly see I'm more likely to be annoyed.