May I rant about the community's competitive players behavior about pub stomping?

Comments

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Woudn't happen so often IMO with Ranged Spores and HMG, because those two weapons gave less skilled players a fighting chance against better players (or players with 100+ fps). But right now fast computers and shotguns reign the world and two hive aliens have no effective way of countering them. Wouldn't be such an annoyance if those good shots would join the alien team from time to time (what a few do, some refuse and join the rine team as first every single round [what I take as proof of a faster pc and bad manners]).

That might also be a hint for server admins to add forced random teams for 30mins stuff to a server. Because random ready room ain't helping for apparent reason.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I never wear a clan tag when i play on pubs, most often not even on scrims. I've got so many different handles over the years that ive used from hour to day or to weeks. Most of the time it does let me get away with what i want to do with my time, if i go marines or aliens this round i do so. If im playing with my friends, we always try to play on the same team cause why the hell wouldnt you. But most of the time, we wait in the readyroom until most of the server decides what they want to play, then go on the team that has space for us. Do our team win rounds? Usually, but not always. Sometimes the allmightyful "stack" is greater on the other side. Do we cry about it? Yes, for as long as it takes for the next round to begin.

The worst things that can happen is those "random RR" votes or "ELO team", makes playing with your friends harder, and pretty much never gives you your "balanced" teams anyway. But with all this, i recognize this is how i like to play the game. There are whole lot of different people out there, and i just as any of you, have no right over how others want to spend their time. I wish people note that more instead letting their inner rage shine so often. But i guess thats the world we live in.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2013
    We had NS2 2 times on steamsale and 1 time on Humble-Sale withing 1 month.
    The servers are full of rookies and they play on every server not only green ones.
    They deactivate the rookie tag in the options and join servers marked as NON-ROOKIE.

If one marine can win a game on an "NON ROOKIE" server alone against ground skulks, walking fades and ground lerks this one player should leave the server?
    Someone really believe its possible to "balance" the game around this one player?

And the next steamsale is coming in december.

Atm its like: NS2 dumbed down to the max
    THREE sales within 1 month without any mechanism to split the vets from the rookies (real rookie servers for an defined time, skillbased matchmaking,..)
    All the new players deinstall the game after getting stomped again and again. Many vets stop playing beacause its "useless" to play cause every server feels the same.

Why UWE, WHY are you doing same errors again and again and again?
    Its like you WANT people playing other games like BF4.
    Oh and that, this weekend is pretty boring from pub standards for sure. 1.3k players online last night but no server to play on cause they all had the same thing. Ended up not playing at all :( .
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    dePARA wrote: »

If one marine can win a game on an "NON ROOKIE" server alone against ground skulks, walking fades and ground lerks this one player should leave the server?
    Someone really believe its possible to "balance" the game around this one player?

It's the one Marine that can win a game against crazy wall leaping Skulks, lvl 3 celerity Lerks that zigzag erratically, and Fades who constantly use hit and run tactics with shadowstep/blink to go as fast as they possibly can...

This mentality you seem to have of "oh the player is good so they must be up against ground skulks, ground lerks, or walking fades" is just plain wrong.

There are certain players I know of who often unbalance an entire server alone... I can be jumping off the walls and ceilings like crazy as a lvl 3 celerity Skulk, they have near perfect accuracy... I can be zigzagging around flying like a mental bat on crack as a lvl 3 celerity Lerk, they can drop me with ease in no time flat... I can be a lvl 3 adrenaline and shell Fade, using vortex and hit and run tactics, they can still kill me easily (especially if they have a shotgun)

So please don't try to pretend like these players are only skilled because they're up against "ground Skulks, ground Lerks, and walking Fades"

• dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @MoFo
    Did you read my entire post?

Your comment is based on one sentence out of the context.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited November 2013
    dePARA wrote: »
    @MoFo
    Did you read my entire post?

Your comment is based on one sentence out of the context.

Yes I did read it... The thing is, the players being complained about aren't good just because they're up against the "sale newbies" Your post seemed to suggest that these "pro" players that can unbalance a server only show up around sales when "new" players are "ground Skulking, etc"

Edit: It could even be taken as a little insulting to new players. When I was new I was never a "ground Lerk" or "walking Fade" - It was obvious to me from the beginning that Lerks rely on speed/zigzag flight, and Fades rely on hit and run tactics with blink/shadowstep.

• RunkiRunki Helsingborg, Sweden Join Date: 2012-12-02 Member: 173929Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Do you mean like this?
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2013
    Runki wrote: »
    Do you mean like this?

No, you wore no clan tag.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh, so he means this.

313ADA8906AD49CB8ABCD81066DDA989B9D04238
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Syknik wrote: »
    Oh, so he means this.

Damn stacker, shame on you!

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Syknik wrote: »
    Oh, so he means this.
    313ADA8906AD49CB8ABCD81066DDA989B9D04238

>Build 235
    Back when the game didn't hitch 24/7.
    RIP.
  • flimflamflimflam Join Date: 2012-09-03 Member: 157572Members
    Guys. The topic "good players should be ashamed of their skills and leave the server" is a beaten horse. And unfair to that person.

The TOPIC IS: when is it right to torture any players in this game relentlessly, round after round, throwing gameplay on the chop block for a couple hours, and justify stacking a team by saying, "I want to play with my friends." Couple hours!

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    flimflam wrote: »
    Guys. The topic "good players should be ashamed of their skills and leave the server" is a beaten horse. And unfair to that person.

The TOPIC IS: when is it right to torture any players in this game relentlessly, round after round, throwing gameplay on the chop block for a couple hours, and justify stacking a team by saying, "I want to play with my friends." Couple hours!

I'd say 1 round every 2 maps is ok, that round is going to be short anyway.
    Is this a psychology forum now? :s
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Flimflam, i don't agree with you on this really. Im a comm and have a pretty good understanding of teamwork. Ive gone in so many pub games and tryed to teach the new guys/not so new guys that think there good...... and none of them listen. If you go some off strat they shit and try and kick you saying troll comm.... Like in pubs you must go pg's right off start...... It's a fkn joke. So this is why comp players get more fun beating that shat out of them. we try and help they dont care for it. Rant/
  • patpat Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185569Members
    arguing about this is pointless

the game is poorly balanced/designed and doesn't have the competitive player base for good players. you have to deal with it, because short of creating an entirely new game, the issue isn't going away
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    There's not much point in discussing this, as it won't change anything. So just do what I do. If I see a team is clearly being stacked more than one game in a row and there's no randomize vote, I just disconnect and look for another server. It's better than staying on it, having a really bad time, and then coming to the forums to vent afterwards.
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited November 2013
    I think we need to make a distinction here, there's difference between one good player joining a pub and 3 good players joining a pub and playing on one team. The former is inevitable and can be manageable, the latter is people being jerks.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Like others have said : there really is no point in discussing this.
    Its been brought up many many times..

If the behavior / attitude of a few is an issue - i.e. heckling rookies and a general disregard for others' pleas - then its an issue for that server admin to resolve. (you will not change these users by posting in here, they are just terrible people)
    If its the fact that it takes only 1 or 2 players to "stack" this game, then you're better off suggesting game design changes. (be warned - you will be accused of "watering down" NS2) and should then consider starting a much different thread.

So unless there's something different than those two issues, I really don't see a point in another one of these threads.. its a broken record at this point that cannot achieve anything other than incite. :-/
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    pat wrote: »
    arguing about this is pointless

the game is poorly balanced/designed and doesn't have the competitive player base for good players. you have to deal with it, because short of creating an entirely new game, the issue isn't going away

Bringing game design/balance into this is irrelevant, both sides could be perfect mirrors and have perfect balance, but you'd still have threads like this as it is utterly impossible to balance the individual skill of the players.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Syknik hacks. Ban syknik. /thread.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    I purpose we found an inquisition whose job would be to find anyone better than me and burn them at the stake. Who cares if its not their fault, the functional effects on everyone else's fun is the same. If you got fired cause someone way better than you came along most people would prolly still be pretty mad.

Ghosthree3 wrote: »

I'd say 1 round every 2 maps is ok, that round is going to be short anyway.

Thank you for discussing the topic.

I still feel the comments from most are still apathetic. This is your game. We make it strive by how we act and play.
    Coming here and posting your ridiculous scores further proves the huge discrepancy of skill levels. By then joining your friends who are equally good, or by allowing such abhorrent stacks, and justify it by, "these new people don't listen" and "I'm considered the troll now" which is a weak cop out at trying to be the victim here. Lets be clear, the victim is NS2.

No one responded to my kind story.

It does come to gamer mentality. I just consider myself loyal to good sportsmanship. Even if I have to sacrifice my own pride for some actual ggs
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    The BEST way to do this is join a community. (if you are around eu, taw is always looking for more. ;) )
    But serious.. a community has better management on preventing stack, active admins etc. You will get more pleasure of it then the random server nr 33.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The BEST way to do this is join a community. (if you are around eu, taw is always looking for more. ;) )
    But serious.. a community has better management on preventing stack, active admins etc. You will get more pleasure of it then the random server nr 33.
    He doesn't want to play with comp players. He made that clear in his OP. :/
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not all communities consist of competitive players... Tactical Gamer and DFA don't have competitive teams, they just run servers (to my knowledge)
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2013
    He recommended TAW. That's why I said he doesn't want to play with comp players.

On a side note, every competitive game will have this. Whether its NS2, Halo, Call of Duty, StartCraft, CS:GO, whatever. There will always be good players and bad players. It will never change. It will never stop. Even public ranked matchmaking games will have it. So complaining about this does absolutely nothing.
    @DC_Darkling I spend most my game time at TG servers and the primer signers and most of the admins make an effort to balance teams more often than not.

@NeXuS that's why it's being discussed. I believe NS2's community can be a way more active participatory in not be frustrated with this issue nor with the influx of new players and making all games a more equal playing field.

And that being said, us players who have played 1000 hrs should be the face of the new age of gamer mentality and NS2 can be our training ground. But all I hear is, "why bother, I can't make a difference" / "this issue is so drawn out - stop talking about it".

I don't know - NS2 showed promise by its unique class of players & supporters since first build - and i cant sit idly by twiddling my thumbs seeing my favorite game gutted by an outdated gamer mentality - apathetic sportsmanship.
    do what you want. i will no longer participate in this conversation as Im tired of reading it.