Who else enjoys camping Marines before a loss?

beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Maybe its just me, but I love that last 10 minutes of waiting in the Marine base prior to losing. The totally bs strategies you can pull off and the things players really spices up the game. Also the Alien teamwork usually improves for some epic gorge Onos action!

I think too many straight up games can get wearing after a time. The game can get very intense at times.

Anyone else find this?

Comments

• beyond.wudgebeyond.wudge Join Date: 2012-10-19 Member: 162731Members
    edited November 2013
    Are you serious? You can do that!? :):)

I feel trolled... last time I was in a chair when someone else logged in I died...

You are a troll sir. :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Try harder. Its possible; not all will make it and it's not a bug i think should be fixed because of the fun it provides. ;)
    Bonus points if you figure out what else can be done
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You are the only one yes.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Try harder. Its possible; not all will make it and it's not a bug i think should be fixed because of the fun it provides. ;)
    Bonus points if you figure out what else can be done

Welding from the inside makes it incredibly hard to kill CC. But healspray and spores can kill you :( Yet you can occasionally by medpack, but not all of them go inside so well.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Best move i did with a cc was to trap a fade inside ;)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Done that one before, but to a lerk. Also welding doesn't work tooo well because only 3 people max can get in the chair.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Well I got stuck in a CC as a lerk and killed the CC from inside.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    As the commander tell all marines to get into the chair ... then someone press the button to login.
    When the inevitable alien rush comes into the room thinking they caught you out of position.. spring lose your trojan horse.

I know how to enter the cc without dying, however I don't know if there is a possibility for more than one to do it at the same time.
    When the cc is "open"/empty you stand on it's front and crouch, when the commander logg in you just slightly move forward towards the center of the cc and in the end you will get stuck inside of it :D

• aeroneticaeronetic Austria Join Date: 2013-11-13 Member: 189345Members
    Maybe its just me, but I love that last 10 minutes of waiting in the Marine base prior to losing. The totally bs strategies you can pull off and the things players really spices up the game. Also the Alien teamwork usually improves for some epic gorge Onos action!

I think too many straight up games can get wearing after a time. The game can get very intense at times.

Anyone else find this?

I also like it ! :-)
    Especially when you have some Exos/Jp's and good weapons then you can hold the position for some time.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I can understand where the 'fun' can come from in this situation for marines, as turtling is very possible, especially on pubs. However, I don't really find this fun at all, and in the end it just comes down to pub aliens not knowing how to finish a game (and also pub marines not conceding when they should).

Of course I say this, but somewhere out there is a 90 minute round of gB vs HBZ where gB as aliens turtled horribly in Atmosphere on Biodome and ended up winning the round...
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Well I got stuck in a CC as a lerk and killed the CC from inside.

Best com NA 2013?

Also, to OP: Yes, marines don't lose fast enough. It's probably because unlike aliens they can spawn from hard-to-kill buildings, they don't lose a3/w3 without destroying a hard-to-kill building, they don't lose GLs and shotguns, and they spawn with ranged weapons. So ending the game on aliens requires a lot more teamwork than on marines. However, the early/mid game itself is the opposite at least on pubs IMO, so there you go.

As far as who else enjoys camping Marines before a loss? Your mom.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members

Doesn't that just turn the chair in to a rape dungeon? (fade being the rapist)
    edited November 2013
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    they don't lose a3/w3 without destroying a hard-to-kill building.

That's just not true.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I've been trapped in the CC as a fade myself...
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Marine game lost?! everyone buy some mines, place it on a wall where aliens 1. can not see them 2. can not soot at them (lerk/gorge) then just bait a fade or lerk around to the mines, and watch as he explodes into a ball off goo.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    Marine game lost?! everyone buy some mines, place it on a wall where aliens 1. can not see them 2. can not soot at them (lerk/gorge) then just bait a fade or lerk around to the mines, and watch as he explodes into a ball off goo.
    i set mine traps like this all the time. blown apart quite a few unsuspecting fades/lerks, and hope to one day catch the white onos that bit off my leg.
    it takes about ~21 mines and a freshly sharpened harpoon to kill a biomass 9 onos w/ carapace.

• BeerTentBeerTent Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169639Members
    As a kid, I started playing NS1 when the Aliens were overpowered. So the inevitable death to Marines is like a syringe full of nostalgia, injected directly into the blood. I love that shit.

You're not alone!

I also love xenociding too.
  • FreekerFreeker France Join Date: 2013-10-28 Member: 188858Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    After an even game, with enough tech (w3/a2,proto...), it could be fun to turtle a bit and kill some lifeform.
    Otherwise i rather like to start a new game.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Tell everyone to Skulk and set their spawn location to marine base. Then spread infestation towards marine space, all the while echoing eggs, closer and closer. Let the x(g)enoside commence.

Or just use contamination. For some reason it still makes my game crash sometimes. :| *your game files are not the same as the servers*
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    In pubs there really nothing fun about this, in competitive games when the whole point is to force mistakes from your opponent and capitalize on them, theres almost never a point in forfeiting. There's always exceptions of course.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2013
    I love marine camping both as alien and marine. I remember one time that marines turtled for 20 minutes, was very fun.
  • radionautradionaut california Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181192Members, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Gold
    i commanded a 147 minute game sometime last week (turtle started around the 40 minute mark)..it was exhausting!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    ive been trapped at times and sometimes help with camping to see if a experienced pub team can actually pull together and break turtle.
    Usually, the boredom overcomes me and I commit to conceding.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Only if it's been a good, long, even game- then, yes . But otherwise , no. Just get the next round started.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I once was in a game where there were 3 people with flamethrowers in the command chair spitting fire through the wall. If they had a welder it would be complete.
  • ThePyroSquirrelThePyroSquirrel Iowa, U.S.A. Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186641Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I'm not going to lie, this was one of my favorite marine games ever. I only got there as the turtle started and it lasted another 40 minutes.

waIa0fL.jpg
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    radionaut wrote: »
    i commanded a 147 minute game sometime last week (turtle started around the 40 minute mark)..it was exhausting!

Let me guess, it was a terrible game with zero teamwork overall, and 1 or 2 really good people on aliens won the game, and then died in the last room in the absence of teamwork. Then they left the server because why bother wasting time, and were replaced by 1 or 2 nåbs. So, now marines magically acquired a better team when the game was already lost. Cue 127 minutes of brain pain, terrible lerks, and terrible gorges.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    There was this one game during the SCC playtest sessions, on ns2_fracture. We had an inexperienced comm while the server was still getting full, I later took over.

If you place the armories right between the pillars, you can theoretically turtle in there forever. Power went down about 3 times or so, but we did not surrender. It was an epic turtle.