Two tries to join any server

Conker_AUConker_AU Australia Join Date: 2013-11-25 Member: 189556Members
edited November 2013 in Technical Support
Hey so recently everytime I try and join a server it loads up then after about 10 seconds i get the red plug until I timeout or disconnect myself. If I then rejoin the same server it will load again but work fine, doesn't happen on any other game (i.e. TF2). Also sometimes It will load up but then just have a black screen until I timeout or disconnect. Once again if I rejoin the same server it will run through and play fine. Just wondering if there was anything I could do to fix this. Can be frustrating when trying to play in AUS because servers are often full and trying to rejoin after timing out can be a problem.

Cheers

Comments

• RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    Can you post your specs and upload your log?

To upload the log:
    Go to %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ and upload the log.txt.
    The easiest way to get there is to press the windows button and the letter r, type in in %appdata%/Natural Selection 2 and press enter
    Ml2xnME.png
    Or you can just browse there if you know where it is and have hidden files viewable.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    That sounds like flooding from your router or modem. (from refreshing the server browser)
    You're not using a Thompson router are you??

Might want to check out the stickied thread on network connections for some tips and info.
    Also try lowering steam 's server refresh rate in steam options to something low like 250.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey mate as IronHorse said, this sounds like a network issue. I've seen very similar things happen before when the server browser has not finished updating in the background and you try to join a server too quickly. Also potentially your modem or PC's firewall or QoS settings are doing something strange in which it is temporarily blocking connectivity to the server as it initially inspects the connection request and then unblocks the traffic seconds later when it validates the connection.
  • Conker_AUConker_AU Australia Join Date: 2013-11-25 Member: 189556Members
    Hi all and thanks for the help.

I am using a Thompson router. I looked through some other threads and I tried a few things you recommended IronHorse. In the end I found the Thompson Router Fix worked for me.

Thanks again.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    No problem, thank you for posting the solution that worked for you!
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2013
    I get this but mine isn't that router. I suspect it's a similar issue though. I'll see if I can do similar. Ta!