No Fight In Players (Lengthy Post)

Cracka_With_GunsCracka_With_Guns Join Date: 2013-11-27 Member: 189594Members
Before I get into this I am no trying to offend anyone so please don't take this personally. I absolutely love this game but I just don't understand the community; at least the players I have played with. This will probably turn out lengthy but I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

I recently came back to NS2 after taking time off playing other games and just because we fell out of touch so to speak. I came back about two weeks ago and I'm loving the gameplay just like I used to. My biggest concern is the fact that there seems to be no fight in anyone once there is even a hint that the game might be close to over or we lose a particular section of the map. I completely understand that there are times when the game is over but it just seems like players are so quick to concede and don't even have the urge to want to fight back. Ignoring that, what happened to players that enjoyed the last stand? Yes the game is over, but it's the one time of the game where the whole team works together because you are backed into a corner so everyone focus is on survival and nothing else. Personally I love the last stand and the chaos it brings. This may sound extreme but it's like players have no sense of honor and just see it best to "run away" and start over again. This happened last night in what ended up being my absolute favorite game I have ever played and well worth the time. So here it is:

Map: Mineshaft

Team: Marines, starting in Operations

Throughout the game we couldn't really hold anything. Kept losing RTs and res was pretty low. By the "end" as most saw it we had Operations held and some of Repair. They were constantly hitting our RTs in gap and water pumps so we were limited to 2-3 at most around the 15-20 minutes mark if that. We made some pushes here and there, destroyed some enemy RTs but nothing substantial. At this point players kept trying to concede but luckily they weren't getting enough votes. Throughout the last ten minutes I continually tried to ninja a phase gate in North Tunnels allowing us to take out the hive in Cave. On my first try I was sitting there for at least 5 minutes and the commander refused to socket the power node because he didn't think it was worth it. Unfortunately for me I currently have no microphone so I was spamming caps in the chat for them to socket and PG North Tunnel. Players with mics kept telling me I was stupid and that the game was over. After the 5 minutes I was discovered and killed. I continually tried to do this a few more times and after about my fifth try I heard the commander talking about setting up a PG in the tunnel. Once again I made my way to the area and a socket was awaiting me. I finished the node, began the PG and stopped to tell everyone to phase immediately upon it's completion. I proceeded to finish the gate, most players phased, leaving an exo or two to defend the main. The phase gate proved to be a success and we took out the Cave hive and a few structures. The Aliens would end up wiping us out and beginning to rebuild. During this time teammates were building a PG, armory, and RT in Cavern. Once we got that up we continued to push Cave and clear it out. After this all went down I noticed a change in players' tones and their determination to make this work. We lost Cave a few more times but continued to fight and push with all we had. This was not a turning point in the sense that it was all downhill for the Aliens from here. We continued to lose areas of the map and were pushed back to our original bases but we kept fighting. After about 30 minutes of back and forth we persevered and finally pulled it off at the 50 minute mark. Players were freaking out and quite a few players said that was the best game they had ever played. I kept making comments in the chat about this being a lesson to players but it didn't stick because the next game they immediately conceded once we lost an area or two. Overall the experience was great and we succeeded but I just don't understand the players in this game.

To hit on some other points of the game, the Alien team was good, maybe not the best but good enough to keep us on two bases almost the entire game with no more than 2-3 RTs. Their team stayed for most of the game up until the last 5 minutes when they knew we were going to complete the comeback and win.

Again sorry for the lengthy post but I had to share this with others and see what is the deal and hopefully get some feedback.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think this is a case of people finally understanding how hard the game can snowball and how it can end the game. However they're over reacting to it and assuming that it will in fact go that badly no matter what, when in fact they could still turn it back around if they act fast enough (windows of opportunity in this game are very small). Let's face it, no one enjoys playing a losing game (by that I mean they KNOW they will lose but they have to play anyway, so they give up. Hopefully with some more time and perhaps coaching from better players people will begin to understand how to turn the game in their favour again and we will get some more interesting games.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    A good portion of today's 'gamer', feels that if they aren't winning all the time then it's a waste of their time.

Part of it also comes from the game's mechanic creating a snowball effect where the longer one team is in the lead, the other team is less likely to turn the match around. Then finally, it is easy for teams to turtle for 20+ minutes, but most players hate being on the losing side of the fight and want to start a new game to try to be on the winning side again.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    To be honest, sitting in base waiting to die IS a waste of time, as long as you hold two tech points you still have a chance (though if aliens get a third hive it's PROBABLY over for you). If you lose one of those tech points without getting another one in return in the next 60s then yeah ok, it's probably time to concede.
  • Cracka_With_GunsCracka_With_Guns Join Date: 2013-11-27 Member: 189594Members
    edited November 2013
    A good portion of today's 'gamer', feels that if they aren't winning all the time then it's a waste of their time.

I considered this point of view, and while I do not know the exact age of most of the people that I have played with, I would think some of them have to at least be around my age and are not new to gaming. Who knows.

I may have screwed up quoting here. I'm new to this as you can see lol.
  • Cracka_With_GunsCracka_With_Guns Join Date: 2013-11-27 Member: 189594Members
    edited November 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    To be honest, sitting in base waiting to die IS a waste of time, as long as you hold two tech points you still have a chance (though if aliens get a third hive it's PROBABLY over for you). If you lose one of those tech points without getting another one in return in the next 60s then yeah ok, it's probably time to concede.

You're absolutely right, most of the time the game is probably over, but to me why not make the effort. Why not try to go down in a blaze of glory and make the attempt? There is no satisfaction in just quitting and starting over. If anything I would feel like I just wasted my time playing that match even if it lasted 30 minutes to an hour. If I just quit without a fight I feel like it was all for nothing.

This game proves that there is always that chance and as Ghosthree said, windows of opportunity in this game are very small. The window of opportunity I exploited seemed to be the catalyst that boosted the morale of the time and turned the tide of the match.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members

I would go a step further; winning isn't even fun for many unless they are "pwning" the other team.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow

I considered this point of view, and while I do not know the exact age of most of the people that I have played with, I would think some of them have to at least be around my age and are not new to gaming. Who knows.

I may have screwed up quoting here. I'm new to this as you can see lol.

It's not so much of an age thing, as it is a general mindset. Players of all ages can grow tired of being on the losing side continuously.
    Just click quote on the post you want to quote on, delete the parts of the post you're not talking about. Then UNDERNEATH the last [/ quote] write your post.
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    So basicly, you defended until tech goes up (a3w3, jp's) and Khammader did not know how to use whips or drifters.

• ChizzlerChizzler Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177532Members
    Sounds like you were playing against fairly poor aliens. If it took 10mins for you to succeed in getting a ninja pg up in North Tunnels, why had aliens not got Xenocide? They'd have been sat on 3 hives for some time. I don't know how much you've seen of that ability, but once it's up you've got about 2 mins to kill a hive or you'll be locked into your base taking damage from 50ft away every 5 seconds. On top of that you've got contamination for whip rushes and near infinite res to replace any higher lifeforms, whilst marines have to wait for 5 mins to replace a single shotgun.

I've put getting close to 1000 hours into NS2. As such, I've participated in my share of turtles (with the occasional comeback) but eventually you get tired of being stuck in base for 15-20mins a match on the slight chance the aliens can't finish it. given the choice between that and starting a new match, i'd pick the latter 99% of the time.
    Chizzler wrote: »
    I've put getting close to 1000 hours into NS2. As such, I've participated in my share of turtles (with the occasional comeback) but eventually you get tired of being stuck in base for 15-20mins a match on the slight chance the aliens can't finish it. given the choice between that and starting a new match, i'd pick the latter 99% of the time.

Most of the time it's really not worth it. Believe it or not the game isn't all about winning (unless you're playing competitively). I'd rather play a full game again after losin then sit around doing nothing for 20 minutes and then win.