Bone shield tweak

Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
I don't find bone shield very appealing to use. Only okeyish use I know is against rail exos or if you let a gorge bile from behind onos when using shield. I also find inability to move while shielding too harsh penalty for the little advantage it gives. Maybe slow crawl speed would be better?
Anyway, my main suggestion is that bone shield would ricochet part of the fired shots back to marines. This would give onoses a way to hurt unwary marines further away and make shield more useful. Should it also ricochet rail gun and GL shots? Maybe a bit too much to ask :P

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bone shield = empty and overheated guns.
    That's the pay-off.
    Your teamm8s do the slaughtering while you stand there taking the heat.
    Its fine and very usefull, but only when there is teamplay. As it should be!
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    Bone shield works against new players. When I see onos hunkering down, I stop shooting and wait until it's wasted it's stamina. Or I change target until it stops shielding. Or I move a little bit to side and continue shooting. Or I reload. I don't waste bullets on it.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    aim between legs for full damage. EBIN?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It could use a slow crawl yes. But you can spawn LMB while moving backwards to get partial coverage.

I'd also like Alien coms use the tools they have rather than sitting there doing nothing late game. 75% of coms don't know a thing about contaminate or echoing or mucous. Then end up losing because they sat outside the Marine base for 20 minutes letting them get more res.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Al_Bobo wrote: »
    Bone shield works against new players. When I see onos hunkering down, I stop shooting and wait until it's wasted it's stamina. Or I change target until it stops shielding. Or I move a little bit to side and continue shooting. Or I reload. I don't waste bullets on it.

Im actually surprised how often people (who are deff not greens) still manage to empty (almost) a whole mag or almost overheat their miniguns when I boneshield

So I think it works really well as is
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I laugh at the onos and pop him with a dual rail shot.
  • umdum9umdum9 London ON. Join Date: 2015-01-24 Member: 201013Members
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Bone shield = empty and overheated guns.
    That's the pay-off.
    Your teamm8s do the slaughtering while you stand there taking the heat.
    Its fine and very usefull, but only when there is teamplay. As it should be!

I doubt most players are dumb enough to shoot a bone shielding Onos.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Nice necro on a 2 year old thread
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    @SamusDroid You're never allowed to tell someone to search first again.

This can be an extremely useful ability versus an HMG. And I only give any shits about comp mod. But overall it's a dumb ability added as a band-aid for lack of any better ideas for fear of balance issues.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Bone Shield could have a minimum protection time (~0.5 second) so Onos can slowly creep forward while tapping Bone Shield. The initial energy cost would need to be increased.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bone shield in it's current form is pretty useless, you usually take more damage standing there like an idiot than you would if you either attack the person shooting you or just take cover.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Bone shield in it's current form is pretty useless, you usually take more damage standing there like an idiot than you would if you either attack the person shooting you or just take cover.

Bone shield is actully very good to overheat the exosuit Guns so you can run foward and kill it