Anyone else disappointed about the 'secret' twitter handle?

driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
If you were lucky, somewhere in the last 2 days you got access to the super secret twitter handle for UWE's next game. It's hard to say what people expect, since not much has been said about what information we are actually going to get. However, I'm a bit disappointed and want to communicate the reason so you guys can perhaps improve on the current situation:
  • It would have been much easier for everyone if you simply integrated a section in this forum where only the shadow backers had access and post your information there. However, the Twitter thing is live now so not much you can do about it, hopefully by now everyone is finally on the access list.
  • The quality of the information that is distributed on the Twitter handle is very low. Half of the posts are just random yokes and the only hard facts are nothing we could not have gotten from publicly available information:
    In fact, Steve released this information to the public 8 hours before the secret handle posted something similar, so I basically feel like I'm being fed old news here...
So please UWE, release something a bit more substantial on your secret handle. There has to be some sort of plan what the game will actually be and how it is going to play, early art and design footage etc. This is the sort of thing people want to see. Just another picture of some random dev at his desk from just far enough you can't really make anything out on his screen is simply insulting, especially if the only real information you give out is already public knowledge and half a day old...

Comments

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2013
    Using twitter to secretly get the info across is silly, yes.

Also I think your asking UWE to reveal to much (that they may not even have, or be able to do in the future) and they only recently started using half their team to work on this new project.

Just give the time

Edit: There is a new section in the fourms now for the new project! The layout is a bit fucked now, but im sure they can fix that.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    #obamacarerollout

trolling aside, UWE has a past of hyping things up just to leave people with a.... "what? That's it?". I doubt it's getting any worse, but it could be better. I see a problem with a community-driven indie game in that sense. You want donations and you strive on "a close community", but as a developer you need to keep some secrets (some may be flawed or not even make it into the game... weldable doors and onos crushing through?) from the player-base. So, I understand the confusion about this.

Basically, it's either a community based "indie" (which it appears to be, given the thousands and thousands of money literally DONATED to them to keep the game going) that has full-disclosure or it's a company that does what other game companies do. If one isn't chosen there will always be players that feel entitled to something.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What did you expect.
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I expected at least to know what the new game will be about and what kind of game it will be. But we can discuss this all in the 'secret' forum now to avoid leaking information.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    driest wrote: »
    The quality of the information that is distributed on the Twitter handle is very low. Half of the posts are just random yokes and the only hard facts are nothing we could not have gotten from publicly available information:

If you read between the lines you can make some assumptions. Check the Wild Mass Guessing Thread in the secret forums.
  • driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm not into wild guessing ;). I simply wanted to express my disappointment and see if I'm overreacting, or if others also feel a bit cheated. The information they have shared so far is really nothing new, so this policy is not really what I expected from 'access to documentation' of the new secret project.

But since everyone else seems to be fine with it it's probably just me, so start guessing and don't mind my blabbering ;)
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm also partly disapointed. Their project has a good potential on the long term. But knowing how they did polish NS2, I doubt they'll make anything great that will surprize everyone on the long term run. I feel it might be a bit like The Stanley's Parable : Innovating, interesting, but without much more at the end.

I feel they could have used a good amount of that time on NS2 (i.e. reworking commander UI to make it more friendly (like a game timer), etc..).

In my opinion (incoming infinite QQ).
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Secret announcement about UWE making a new game? I thought this was old news to everyone
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lol, mod sunk the thread already.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That secret twitter handle was one of the bigger reasons i bought the Shadow Tier.
    I expected more information for a longer time. Not "In a month everyone see's that stuff anyways." Well. Whatever.