Comments

• JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited November 2013
    about game breaking flaws, issues:
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Whips?
    in which way ?
    Early gorge tunnels (no research necessary)... completely destroying pubs due to the high player count and as such how many tunnels can be put down.
    ouf of (maybe) 10 pub matches - how many get "completly destroyed", because of gorge tunnels in your experience ?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Joseppe wrote: »
    about game breaking flaws, issues:
    Whips?
    in which way ?
    Early gorge tunnels (no research necessary)... completely destroying pubs due to the high player count and as such how many tunnels can be put down.
    ouf of (maybe) 10 pub matches - how many got "completly destroyed", because of gorge tunnels in your experience ?

Whips: Because of their ability to turn a pvp game into a pve stallfest.
    Tunnels: I'd say about 90% of games aliens end up winning in the last few weeks have completely destroyed the fun due to how broken it makes the game. The other 10% were just good games aliens played well, not too many if any tunnels used. Some marine wins happened because aliens didn't drop tunnels in the first place, others because the tunnels were killed (thank fuck). It's literally a race at the start of the game to kill all the gorges and tunnels before you're screwed. You don't have long either.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So, if you're good at NS2, you shouldn't play NS2?

I started NS 1-2 days after it came out. I know the game very well, put far too many hours into it. 90% of NS transfers over to NS2.

I started NS2 the day they opened it up to those that bought it in 2009. Played off and on for a bit, took time off for UWE to fix things and for me to build a PC that could play it. Since then I've been playing a large number of hours, got caught up on all the changes and am back to doing 30-3 at times. I don't comp. I don't scrim. I just pug. When I pug, I want to do well, as that's just how I am.

It somewhat sounds like you are saying those that are better than you shouldn't be allowed to play. Perhaps if you're bad and don't want to learn how to be better, you shouldn't play? Or make your own server, call it "Vets B Banned" or something of the like.

Kicking people (on "normal" servers) just because they are good at a game is a stupid idea. They/I do that on a "Noob Only" style server (as we should), but on a non-noob server thats pretty lame.
  • lncabinlncabin Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186024Members
    The_Ranger wrote: »

I'm assuming you read the posts of a select few people instead of any of my posts?

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    frantix wrote: »
    What numbers are you refering to? "Low rates", compared to what? What other game has higher rates and why exactly? You simply speculate.

How many copies has this game sold? How many players play on any given day? That isn't "speculation," that's analysis based on actual data
    There are -dozens- of guides, you can play combat, you can watch competitive fade players, you can train in the sandbox with cheats, there are people everywhere offering their help as personal trainers, what else do you need? If you want an easy-to-learn game that every new player can become good in within 30 minutes, go and play CoD, BF4 and all the other mainstream games, there are a lot of them if they satisfy you.

I never said that I want an easy-to-learn game, I said that NS2 is not easy to learn. Are we in disagreement here? It doesn't sound like it.
    Did he say this? "Too unforgiving"? Play combat. Not losing your lifeform when you die would simply destroy the entire sense of the game. What about chess? You make one mistake and boom - queen gone. Chess is such an unforgiving game, and so hard to learn, *Cry cry*

I never said that you shouldn't lose your lifeform when you die, I was simply saying that the fact that you do lose your lifeform makes it hard to learn. Once again, are we in disagreement because it doesn't sound like it based on your post.
    This can be true, combat was much better in NS1. But on NS1 there were also many combat-only players who where missing for the normal game. If this would've improved "player retention" or not is pure speculation again.

It is speculation, but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened. I just think that if UWE had made it more present in their blog posts and such, like they did with the NS2WC, new players would be able to discover it more easily.
    This is just turning in another "I just had a few bad games and now I cry and moan about things I have no clue about, and I - as the most experienced person here - know why exactly <the game is dying>"-thread.

If you are going to so vehemently reject people's opinions like this, and deny that their feelings are genuine, just because they differ from your own, then you are being just as closed-minded as the OP.
  • lncabinlncabin Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186024Members
    I think you have misinterpreted me. Asking why doesn't imply anything. Never had I said players should be kicked because for the sole reason that they are skilled. I have advocated removing players that continuously stack and pubstomp. Yes, I do realize pubstomping and stacking is pretty much a result of skill but that player is still adversely affecting the balance of the game; especially if they don't take any initiative to either just command, play on the losing team, or go play on a server that is on their skill level.

No, I never said casuals don't want to become good. That post which you are referring to was the response Ghosthree3 stating to the effect of "why play if you dont want to get better". And like I said in my post, participating in an activity and wanting to be skilled at it are mutually exclusive. I want to play a game because I find it fun. I dont necessarily want to play a game because I want to be better at it. Any skill I might aquire from playing a game just comes inherently and not necessarily activity trying to be better. And at some point, I dont really care about being "less newbish" because anymore effort diminishes the fun quality of actually playing.

Then you have people, like yourself, give the cop out, 12yo gamer, I'm better than you answer of telling someone to go play CoD, BF, WoW. I mean, technically, all those games are WAY more successful than NS2 will ever be, but thats a different thread.

Shrine administration is a horrible balancer. I've never actually seen the random suffle work on it.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I never said go play wow. I simply said "There is a game for those that don't want to put-forth any effort, its called WoW."

You don't want to get "stomped", but you don't want to take the time to get better at a first person shooter. Seems legit.
    That's basically saying: "I just started today, so could you all forget the 300+ hours you've put into this game, all the effort you took to better understand it, better aim, learning when/where to walk, etc etc etc and dumb yourselves down to my level, so I can have fun." As you've stated somewhere in here yourself (at least I believe it was you), the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. Its just a matter of which many and which few you're looking at when saying it. It works on both sides.

Best reasonable thing you could do at that point is to join only servers that are for noobs. Or make your own noob-only server. Other then that, I can't see much else helping you enjoy your time playing. Good people do want to join with others, not all good players will stack. Not all are A-holes (although I'm no fool to say none are).

As for Shine, its just a matter of players voting for it, and it'd work better if all server OPs changed the value needed for the vote to kick in. I think it's at 60% now, takes about 10 seconds to change it to lets say, 40%.

There are two sides to the story. Both are Right and both are Wrong at the same time. To say I only like playing with good players on my team is short-minded. To say I shouldn't have to figure out how to become better is also short-minded. Neither one will work long-term. Maybe not even short term.

You'll have the new people not wanting to keep playing. Then you'll have the non newbie who didn't put effort not having fun.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Opinions are for kids. Grown-ups make reasoned statements. My 940 hours state that I love this game, and I love the community. Incabin is not improving anything, he's not helping, he's not stating anything new, he has no ideas, no solutions, he's just a frustrated - and I guess average - player who maybe thinks every game should be like CoD, BF and WoW just because they're more successful than NS2. I will still play this game and have fun after the last 5 threads in this forum have titles like "why this game dies" and "THIS is what kills the game".

edit: This thread has become much too much attention already. I now wish you good luck and have fun with your "game is dying"-theories while the rest of us enjoy the game, the casts, the awesome community, the upcoming content and events.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @The_Ranger. I totally agree with you. I have about 300 hrs play. Got the game since it came out on Steam (was a NS1 player and love it). I have commitments (work, children, wife), so can't play much (~5 hrs / week). But as I improve (my score on pubs now can be in the top 3). It is so satisfying to know I can now fight with the big boys and have a chance to win (Clanners that I know are good). I still don't win often, but when you take out a clan name with a 18/3 score, you know you are finally getting better.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Opinions are for kids. Grown-ups make reasoned statements. My 940 hours state that I love this game, and I love the community. Incabin is not improving anything, he's not helping, he's not stating anything new, he has no ideas, no solutions, he's just a frustrated - and I guess average - player who maybe thinks every game should be like CoD, BF and WoW just because they're more successful than NS2. I will still play this game and have fun after the last 5 threads in this forum have titles like "why this game dies" and "THIS is what kills the game".

edit: This thread has become much too much attention already. I now wish you good luck and have fun with your "game is dying"-theories while the rest of us enjoy the game, the casts, the awesome community, the upcoming content and events.

For someone who claims to love the community so much, you are quick to reject someone who could very well become part of the community one day, simply because he sees things differently than you.

Based on the content of your posts in this topic, I would be careful about throwing around the "maturity" card too much. Take a look at what you have said to him, because I'm guessing that your posts have not improved his impressions of what this community is.
  • project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
    Turbine wrote: »
    The incompetent developers are killing the game, not the community.

They've practically abandoned the game with so many exploits/flaws/issues.

I kinda agree, they've spent a lot of resources in the wrong places. I was an early backer for this game, as you can probably see from how long I've had this account, the game feels like an utter letdown. All of my friends who loved NS1 feel the same way.

On the bright side, this experience has taught me to never pre-order (or spend money on) a game before actually trying it. Oh and Beta doesn't really count cause they'll always use the "it's in Beta" excuse.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    edited November 2013
    Badge players + Mouse gear + full hardware PC + good ping >>> with casual players + 800x600 low all PC (me:D) + Optical Mouse (ping300-400)

Dont get angry cuz you cant win them , if they have same Pc and ping like you in LAN game (Counter Strike) im sure your skill will be increase
    Im allways have to play with 250+ping , so if you see those players , quit and find other server

There is no shame when an ant avoid an elephant ways
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Find a community you like playing with and get to know the regulars. This will increase your satisfaction significantly with the game, balanced or no, rather than random server pubbing. I would have quit playing long ago if I hadn't done this.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    edited November 2013

If opinions are for kids you must be the most opinionated person I have seen here. It's quite incredible the entirely vacuous claims you make.

Examples: "You simply speculate." - actually this is incorrect. If you look at sales figures against the number of people playing now, this game is *objectively speaking* not the best. As such it is doing worse than others, as your question implies it is not. This is your opinion. Incidentally, it is not in line with the evidence.

You never actually bothered to listen to Incabin's points - no matter what you won't accept that this game can improve. I love this game, too, but it can surely improve in the matchmaking system. While I do not agree with all of Incabin's points, I think he has been unjustly treated in this thread, with many of his comments being totally misinterpreted not because he was esoteric, but because "OMG MY FAVOURITE GAME WAS INSULTED I CANNOT ACCEPT THIS".

@Incabin - you need to realise that in order to criticise any aspect of this game you must step on egg shells. People are very easily upset over a videogame and so will lash out at you as soon as you upset their "sensibilities".

NB: I don't know why so many people keep saying that the OP said to kick skilled players (unless he edited out). If you check, he says this: "kicking pub stompers."

I think we all know what he means by this. For example, sometimes I stomp on a pub EDITjust by sheer chanceEDIT (I am nowhere near the best but it happens). But I think we all know that he means someone who deliberately goes around pub stomping. Perhaps in his haste he assumed this context would be interpreted. I think all it requires is a bit of thought and one knows what the OP meant...
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    this thread lololol
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    add it to the list of things killing this game, lol
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    lncabin wrote: »
    You are a perfect example of why the community is killing this game.

This forum disagree's with you lol...
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    This is just an endless, ongoing debate that's not going to have much of a solution given the mechanics of the game. That's just pretty much what I've decided at this point.

Back when my server was in it's prime I tackled this issue from every perspective. At first I welcomed anyone and never removed anyone from being too good. I then later took a hard stance on it and began doing that. I really didn't see any difference either route I went.

I think the core of the issue, as someone else stated earlier is that it's probably just not very fun at all for anyone coming into the game playing against people who know what they're doing. And that's just the problem that UWE created by making this a high skill ceiling game. And it's not that I'm slamming them for that either, because I think that was a fresh take on things given the current fps titles out there, but it comes with it's own problems, for sure. This isn't the early 2000's anymore where all of us are young teens just starting out and all wide eyed at online computer gaming playing Quake or (insert Half Life mod here). Now it's kids coming in who are used to playing games like COD where they can.......well I'll just leave it at that.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Joseppe wrote: »
    Turbine wrote: »
    ...with so many exploits/flaws/issues.
    please name some - as i know: there are no game breaking flaws, issues and i dont know exploits.

Random gun jamming, poor sounds system (alt-tabbing-in and/or phase gate starting unexpected sounds), drifter randomly stopping working, something being enable to cyst out of a place, being stuck and unable to moves in ARCS (or others).

And today I died after respawning because of the c**ppy anti-command station quick-kill-during-the-countdown; while being in the middle of a match (bug).

No game breaking flaws or issues at all.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    To add to RedSword's point, @Joseppe, how about all the times your lifeform gets stuck? It happened to Valk against TItus - might have changed the whole game.

Another thing I find a major issue is the interpolation deaths I incur - possibly worse for me due to the wireless internet.

And how about beacons that don't beacon everyone? Or that bug where despite having two hives eggs don't spawn?

There are plenty of game-breaking bugs (and designs - whips sort of break the point of this game, which is player versus player for the most part). Though having said that I am not so opposed to whips; this game has to have some RTS design to it, afterall.

And a bunch of whips really helps in close spawns in a public game. Speaking of which - still no cross-spawns UWE?!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mavick wrote: »
    This is just an endless, ongoing debate that's not going to have much of a solution given the mechanics of the game. That's just pretty much what I've decided at this point.

Back when my server was in it's prime I tackled this issue from every perspective. At first I welcomed anyone and never removed anyone from being too good. I then later took a hard stance on it and began doing that. I really didn't see any difference either route I went.

I think the core of the issue, as someone else stated earlier is that it's probably just not very fun at all for anyone coming into the game playing against people who know what they're doing. And that's just the problem that UWE created by making this a high skill ceiling game. And it's not that I'm slamming them for that either, because I think that was a fresh take on things given the current fps titles out there, but it comes with it's own problems, for sure. This isn't the early 2000's anymore where all of us are young teens just starting out and all wide eyed at online computer gaming playing Quake or (insert Half Life mod here). Now it's kids coming in who are used to playing games like COD where they can.......well I'll just leave it at that.

Maybe there is a need for a Rookies only server that is being admin-ed, and allow a few vets in to coach the greens. I would love to coach new green players against each other. May be one UWE official server can be made into a Rookie only server with a few appointed admins who are happy to coach the rookies on the basics (I am from AUS, and there are 3 UWE servers that are mostly empty).
    I have had a few fun matches when we let the rookie comm, and we told him / her what to do, and why we need it, it really gets them excited about the game and also gives them a chance to try new things without being in a pressure environment. It also means people are not eject voting because the comm didn't get A1/W1 in the first 5 minutes.
    On another note, I think this is where UWE haven't done enough to encourage the new players. Having the forums here is good, but it is mostly used by the vets. A new player not having played NS1 would more likely visit the Steam forums, and that is not very well "manned" by the vets to explain things. I go there (the Steam forums) sometimes to see what I can do to help, but those times are rare (I am too buys playing NS2). I ll make sure I go there more often and put some links to the guides and wikis from there to here.

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    There is simply not a playerbase to support a rookie only server.
  • SkyPirateSkyPirate Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146845Members
    I only play aliens, so I don't really like random but If UW were to implement a skilled based randomization and allow people to switch teams and SHOW your skill lvl next to you name instead of a "I paid extra money for this game icon" That would be great.

This thread has been made before a million times and I've always said the same thing as many other people have. There is only 1 way to deal with this, give players rankings (levels) and Don't allow all high ranked players on 1 team.

The community has wanted a ranking system for a long time and its the only solution to this problem.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Actually I think the ns2 community is pretty freaking awesome on the whole. Don't believe the 'this game is dying' nonsense that pops up on the forums from time to time.
    Genuine team stacking is a problem. I know I've been guilty of it from time to time, but by and large my team mates and I split ourselves up so we can get a challenge, and this tends to lead to better games. Or better still, there's the counter stack, which is very enjoyable :)
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The title of the thread already got me pretty angry, claiming that a certain part of the community represents the WHOLE community can comfortably be called completely stupid.
    The community was that kept me in the game past the rookie days, the community is what makes me love this game so much, that I think it's the best multiplayer game at the moment, the community is what got a few of my friends in after I told how awesome the people are. Stacking hasn't changed, and it never will. I've yet to find a single "skill based" balance mod that makes the teams any more better. My solution is the same that has been stated several times: Find another server.

It may take some time, but I have 2-3 servers favorited that have really good games 75% of the time because of awesome people playing there, admins frequently present and communicating with the players. It has been said that experienced people should be kicked, and that is complete and utter ignorance. In NO situation EVER should anyone be taken away from the joy of playing the game because some people don't like him, with the only exceptions of servers clearly stating that they don't tolerate that kind of people.

But yeah, the title of this thread (and some of its contents) are a direct insult to the people playing NS2, so I simply take it as a thread made to provoke people and create useless arguing and hate.

So all in all, I vouch for locking this thread asap
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    1) So much emotion in a useless complain thread. Sabot is on the way. Save your power for ingame play (I say play and not chat)
    2) Most servers also allow player kick. If you aggree with your teammates that one or two players deliberately stack or kill the fun due to skill
    you can easily kick them. I also saw admins do it.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Guys, this thread some very good points, some very bad, but what it comes down to is a few things,

1. Player base, as we have a smaller playerbase than alot of other games, mean alot of the time there is only a select few servers that people can join - i myself join servers at random cause i have limit on how much time i can play, and even at that, i am waiting to get into servers.

2. The community is what keeps this game going, i do not see in anyway how we can be killing this game? We are more than willing to help out in anyway we can, all anyone has to do is ask?

3. Pub stomping - No one likes it, it can happen at random, or when a few friends join the same team but the thing is that they are entitled to play with each other for a few rounds, but this can get boring very quickly for everyone else, and can be unfair, vote random may fix it, may make it wrose.

All in all when matchmaking comes, it should ease this in a way were u can at least get some games with some what same level off skill players.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    The community is killing this game.
    Hyperbole is killing our mood.

Use the Vote Random Teams or Kick Player features, automatic balancing and matchmaking is being worked on:

From: http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/state-of-development-september-2013/
    Gameplay

One of the first major problems with NS2 on launch was the learning curve. The lack of an interactive tutorial system contributed to that in a big way, and we hope that the new tutorial systems introduced in Reinforced went a long way to easing new players in.

A second major problem remains: How to get into an organised game. The wonderful folks over at ENSL.org have long provided the only reliably way to get into an organised game of NS2 via their ‘gather’ system. Earlier this year, we hinted at work on a system called ‘Sabot‘ that was intended to provide in-game organised play options.

That system is now being developed by Andi, and the newest full-time member of the UWE team – Lukas. It is broadly composed of two elements: Hive, a player persistency system that was quietly released along with Reinforced and is still being pieced together, and a ‘gather’ system that will allow players to seamlessly create and join organised games without leaving the game.

The entire system will have benefits beyond just organised play and player stat tracking – It is also serving as the bedrock for a more reliable and scaleable in-game rewards system – The most obvious manifestation of which is the badge system.

Closing thread.
This discussion has been closed.