Overclocking CPU/GPU

VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
I might want to start looking into overclocking my PC soon-ish. Star Citizen's Alpha is about to be released, and my hardware is becoming dated (i7-2600k, AMD 6950)...

I have no experience about OCing whatsoever, and I thought maybe I ask some of you for advice/some clues where to start research, before actually starting to search...

Does anyone have experience with overclocking, know any good guides, etc? Please share.

Comments

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    First: The biggest overclock will do nothing if you get random black screens and reboots afterwards.
    So get yourself Prime95: http://www.computerbase.de/downloads/system/prime95/
    Or (better in my experience, because it produces results much faster) InterBurnTest: https://www.xgamingstudio.com/forum/showthread.php?9-RELEASE-IntelBurnTest-v2-53
    The how-tos I could link you to are in German, but I guess you'd prefer English ones...

Second: Star Citizen is still light years away from release and even if you just want to play that dogfight module, it will probably run much better 12/18/24 months down the line. We gotta see what performance benefits Mantle brings to Battlefield 4 soon and can draw conclusions for CryEngine/StarCitizen from that.. but you'd need a GPU with GCN, of course...

Third: TSMC didn't get their 20nm process done in time. That's why we have seen only recycled chips with a new sticker this "generation" (if you even wanna call it one). Example: A GTX770 is nothing but a recycled GTX680. A R9 280X is nothing but a HD7970. Only the R9 290(X) are genuinely new chips (which could have profited from the shrink enourmously).
    20nm will come out this summer and then we'll see some REAL progress across all sectors, not just 2 ultra-high-end cards that are still stuck with 28nm... so my recommendation is easy: Hold your horses and get your new GPU when 20nm is ready.

Fourth and last: With their announcement that they are celebrating the American "Veteran's Day" by funnelling money to the American military and calling it "charity", I'm done with backing RSI. Their incessant "Support the troops" and "God bless America" each time some professional murderer showed up on Wingman's Hangar was obnoxious, but this is taking the cake: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13366-Veterans-Day-Hornet-Upgrade-Offer

As a German, we have some experience with blind nationalism and zealous right-wing patriotism... and we all know how well that episode ended.
    The biggest joke that a braindead-obedient SOLDIER who would kill his own parents if ordered to is the polar opposite of a critical CITIZEN...
    If a refund was possible, I'd have taken it the very moment I found out how they are spending my Euros.
    I had made plans to gift SC to my brother, but that's out of the question now - they won't see another cent from me.
    I'm also gonna notify all of my friends and strongly advise against backing Star Citizen.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    That's the kind of knowledge I hoped for. I will take a look at those tools, and I have no problems with german how-tos, just go ahead and link them.

I realize SC is still in the far future. It's not only about SC...

What's TSMC? Google says it's a semiconductor company? (would make sense)

I don't like the way SC is going, either (all the false praise about that horrible community, too much focus on big clans in the recent stretch goals, voyager direct store (seriously WTF), it's all shameless money-making now), but I think I'm going to play it anyway, in the end... A refund is possible, afaik, though. We have a thread for the game over here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/121870/roberts-space-industries#latest
    (Oh, and pro-tip: Don't go into the official forums... I used to be there. I turned them my back in disgust.)
    edited November 2013
    I thought I was backing a video game, now I'm backing the invasion and occupation of 2 countries.
    Neat.

TSMC is the big chip company where both AMD and Nvidia are ordering their chips from.
    If TSMC can't make progress, we're stuck. As it looks like, the intervals between each shrink will grow bigger and bigger because it becomes exponentially more expensive and costly to make those transistors smaller and smaller. That's why we are sitting @ 28nm for, well, 2 years now.
    (The first 28nm GPU was the HD7970 which entered the market in December 2011).

Before that impasse, node shrinks would usually occur once a year. Then it slowed down to 1.5 years.
    As you can see: It's about time for the next shrink - it will open the door for cramming more transistors into the same area and maybe saving some power on top of that. The shrinks are essential for performance leaps. Without them, AMD and Nvidia can only churn out bigger chips that become more and more uneconomical (too much heat, too much power draw, too hard to manufacture). Titan and the new R9 290X are examples for that brute force approach...

And there is another problem: The 28nm is mature now, that's why we are seeing the R9 290X now. They can build such a big chip with that process.
    When 20nm comes out, it will be suffering from a high failure rate that will go down gradually, but that means that it would be very inefficient and risky to make a big chip like a GTX780Ti out of it...

Imho a GPU (no matter how few percent faster than a reasonable upper midrange or lower high-end range GPU) just isn't worth 500€... let alone 999€.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Well, I don't want to get new hardware, just get more out of my current one^^
    edited November 2013
    I'm more a fan of under-volting, but the stability testing procedure is the same, so here you go:
    http://msi-forum.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=82115

IntelBurnTest got an excellent readme.
    Okay, thanks. I will read those as soon as I have time. I didn't expect so much response^^
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Wait, what? You don't want to support RSI because they give money to charity? Just, what? I can't believe I just read that...
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Good luck out there! Welcome to the overclocking ranks!
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    Well, before you do anything, make sure you have a decent CPU cooler (anything but stock-cooler) installed, and always check them temperatures. :)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Umm I just make my volts as low as they can be, then have it crash or bluescreen or whatever, then raise the volts by 0.005 and continue until it stops; note that even if you're not getting bluescreen errors (or are) or are just crashing from games, there's a high chance the crash is simply related to the cpu not having enough volts

Once I raised my volts high enough all crashing stopped

I started at -0.0065v and then worked my way up, I also used offset load calibration level 5/not fixed or whatever, so that when I'm not gaming my cpu underclocks so when I'm idle I'm at about 1.6~ghz, but when a game or application launches it goes to 4.2ghz
    What's the idea behind wanting to have as low voltage as possible?
    edited November 2013
    I just did some research (not a lot), and wondered what the temperatures in my PC are like. I discovered that my video card seems to be significantly warmer than the rest (say, the CPU). Is this normal?

Btw, I use the standard fan to cool the CPU, so I will have to look into that, too...

edit: Might add that my PC was somewhat idling at that time (browser, skype, steam running). But I use three screens, so maybe it's that...

edit2: Wo. It's interesting to see temperature rise when I start NS2 - the CPU went to 65-67°C. Strangely enough, the GPU stayed at 67 the entire time, until I closed the game. Now it's on 78 and won't come down.

Nevermind me, I'm just happily messing around here...
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    What's the idea behind wanting to have as low voltage as possible?

Minimize power consumption and waste heat ;)

I see you have a Core i7-2600K, those old 32nm buggers like quite a bit of juice, but they're fine up to 101 °C (optimally, should be 10 °C below this at full load), my brother owns this processor and well, when I overclocked it for him it required an extremely high 1,51V for ~4.8 GHz with HT. Stock voltage should be about 1.25 for this chip, but the stock HSF (heat sink) is very very very bad and you should never ever use it for overclocking (and preferably not use it at all).

Maximum safe operating voltage for this particular CPU is 1,375V per Intel specification much alike it's Gulftown siblings, but you can run it safely up to 1.45 provided you cooled it well enough, and your motherboard's caps aren't overstressed (my bro's machine has a Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3, pretty much the highest end motherboard ever made for Sandy Bridge on 6-series chipsets).

I recall that to stably hit 5.06 GHz on my old i7-990X processor I required something like 1.71V, totally unsustainable due to unreal amount of dissipated heat, power consumption and actual strain on the silicon itself. Finding your maximum 24/7 can be a lengthy and tedious process, since you need to try out, stress test a bit (for me, 3 hours of Prime95 is enough, though you may want more "stability" than that), but it's worth it.

If you ever wanna venture into overclocking, K (Unlocked) and X (Extreme) SKUs make it easy, just bump multiplier and the vcore (core voltage) accordingly, up to the safe maximums or, if you're feeling adventurous, until some 1.5V or so, the important thing is finding the sweet spot between performance, power consumption, heat and voltage (the latter two will lower your processor's lifespan), just get yourself a high end cooler like a monstrous, loud Noctua air cooler or a closed loop Corsair H100/H110 and you'll be good to go :)
    Thanks^^

I will have to get a new cooler, then. Although before I look into that I will softmod my 6950 to a 6970 and see what happens.
  • DarkLaunch357DarkLaunch357 Campinas, Brazil Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187599Members
    Is it an early manufacture one (late 2010) though? Those made in the first few months, just flash an HD 6970 BIOS and it'll be fully converted into an actual 6970, giving you some extra 15% performance right off the bat, but those manufactured around the middle of 2011 onwards are already laser cut and flashing a 6970 BIOS will brick them.

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/159

good article to help ya out :)
    Yes, I knew that article^^

I haven't checked the date yet.
  • fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver
    some hardware manufacturers include software with their hardware to automatically oc your cpu or gpu. So if you have a good cooling system, you can easily achieve 1ghz or so extra with this kind of software. I know, because i used the asus software i got, and got a 4.3 ghz overclock from 3.3ghz. Using an i5 2500k.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Aldaris wrote: »
    Wait, what? You don't want to support RSI because they give money to charity? Just, what? I can't believe I just read that...
    Click on the link he posted. They don't give money to charity, they give money to US military.
    Click on the link he posted. They don't give money to charity, they give money to US military.

I think actually they donate to a charity which gives US soldiers video games. They only donate the money they currently earn.

Technically, we are all "donating" to RSI, but I pity all the fools who still believe this shit.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think actually they donate to a charity which gives US soldiers video games. They only donate the money they currently earn.

"sends video game care packages to soldiers in high combat areas as well as soldiers recovering in medical facilities" and "transports veterans of past wars to Washington D.C. to visit and reflect at the memorials that were created for them" is called charity? Maybe I don't get this because I am not American.

"sends video game care packages to soldiers in high combat areas as well as soldiers recovering in medical facilities" and "transports veterans of past wars to Washington D.C. to visit and reflect at the memorials that were created for them" is called charity? Maybe I don't get this because I am not American.

Why would it not be? The recipients are a bit questionable, but apart from that?

Don't get me wrong. I don't support this.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What do you mean the recipients are questionable?
    ZM_Reaper wrote: »
    What do you mean the recipients are questionable?

They are soldiers. That's not what you usually associate with a charity.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Hamlet wrote: »
    If a refund was possible, I'd have taken it the very moment I found out how they are spending my Euros.
    I had made plans to gift SC to my brother, but that's out of the question now - they won't see another cent from me.
    I'm also gonna notify all of my friends and strongly advise against backing Star Citizen.

Don't you think that's a bit overboard? In the link you posted earlier they inform you that they are only sending donations from the money that one specific ship earns. if you're against it, just don't buy the ship. perhaps i'm a bit biased though, as i've lived on a military base for 18 years of my life.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Star Citizen is about to be released? The only thing that I heard is getting released is basic dogfighting in december and I dont think that even counts as part of the main alpha.
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I recently overclocked my i5 760 Lynnfield from 2800 MHz to 3600 MHz, temperature while Intel Burnin ~72°C. I followed a step-by-step tutorial where you basically first test all components but CPU + memory until you reached your goal, then you begin to raise your memory multiplier, then lastly your CPU. The very last thing - and only if the system is instable - is to raise the vcore of the CPU, until its stable. If you have no clue, get a good tutorial that you can understand, is well written, widely accepted, and fits your CPU / BIOS. Took me about half a day to read into the topic and finding my desired settings, mainly because of the many burnin-tests inbetween.

The result is not that great tho. Tomb Raider benchmark 59.7 to 59.9, 3D Mark 2011 from 3602 to 3671, ARMA 3 from 20 fps to 22 fps. Biggest leap was in Tomb Raider by upgrading from Win7 to Win8.1: 35.9 to 59.7. So you should think about this, too. I was kinda lazy with further benchmarks, esp. in NS2.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I overclocked my lynnfield i7 860 from 2.8 to 3.8 over a year ago, though I just had to peg it back to 3.6 due to a crash in an ns2 pcw. I think that's because I recently upgraded graphics card and my old one had a blower that took heat directly out the back of the case but the new one doesn't. I got a bump of about 30% in fps when I did that overclock and became gpu limited until the upgrade. Now I'm cpu limited again, but it looks like a bad time to be upgrading cpu just now. I already got burned buying a 780 before the extra free games and price reductions.
    coolitic wrote: »
    Star Citizen is about to be released? The only thing that I heard is getting released is basic dogfighting in december and I dont think that even counts as part of the main alpha.
    Star Citizen's Alpha is about to be released

The dogfight module is being referred to as "Dogfight Alpha".

@frantix that's helpful. Any site for tutorials you can recommend?

I have to get decent fan, though. Maybe for christmas...
    edited November 2013
    While most people with a metric shit ton of money pick the most expensive CPU they can find and add another 2-4 GPUs in Crossfire, they forget about the most obvious cheap fans for the case.* I can't stress this enough: YOU NEED AT LEAST TWO OF THESE.
    http://geizhals.de/enermax-t-b-silence-manual-120x120x25mm-a-uctb12a-a621923.html

-> One in the front to suck cool air in and one in the back to push hot air out.
    Your HDDs can't thank you enough just as each other component inside your case that WILL get too hot and break down earlier than you'd like to.

This CPU cooler doesn't break the bank and achieves superior cooling results to many that cost more than 5 times as much.
    http://geizhals.de/thermalright-hr-02-macho-rev-a-bw-a830474.html
    Test: http://www.pc-experience.de/wbb2/thread.php?postid=251815624#post251815624
    (As long as I don't come across anything better, the Macho will go into every PC I build)
  • frantixfrantix Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184063Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @frantix that's helpful. Any site for tutorials you can recommend?

I followed this one: http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-lynnfield/2/

For your Sandy Bridge, this is the fitting: http://www.techreaction.net/2011/01/04/3-step-overclocking-guide-–-sandy-bridge-v0-1beta/

Good luck!