So, winning conditions...

xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
...are all hives destroyed for aliens
and
all CCs destroyed or all marines dead and have no way to spawn (no IPs or unpowered IPs)

I'm pretty sure many of you were in situation were last alien hive was killed, but they've managed to drop another one, so there is a growing hive, no aliens alive, but the game does not end, because hive might potentially grow and start spawning aliens.

Now, I've been in such a rare situation where aliens attacked both marines bases, marines have beaconed to one without IPs and the power was cut on their main by a few skulks, who went to finish marines right after it. What's interesting, one skulk landed a single bite on AA before leaving, which caused MAC to move to repair it, then it realized there is a broken power node nearby, so he started repairing it... and the game ended, because all of the marines were dead and there were no active IPs.

Now, let's not argue about whether or not marines could win that game if MAC was given a little time to finish repairs. Wouldn't it just be COOL if it could do so?
Like, if there are CCs and IPs when last marine is killed, but IPs are unpowered or unbuilt AND there is a MAC already reapairing/building power node or building IP AND finishing this one single action would allow marines to spawn, game should not end for pure epicness of the moemnt.

Comments

• VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    I was thinking the exact thing when I saw the lone MAC remain in RedDog's #8 round-up in clip 2.

What if there are like 4 MACs coming and trying to rebuild the node?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Vitdom wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact thing when I saw the lone MAC remain in RedDog's #8 round-up in clip 2.

What if there are like 4 MACs coming and trying to rebuild the node?

I think macs no longer stack?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I believe MACs stack when building but only one can repair something at a time?
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see why not. I mean, it will never really affect anything, but if unbuilt hives keep the game going why shouldn't unpowered IPs?
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I don't see why not. I mean, it will never really affect anything, but if unbuilt hives keep the game going why shouldn't unpowered IPs?

It'll make the game too symmetrical!! (<-- Joke)

Makes sense. Will only happen on rare occasions though and probably won't have any substantial changes to any games so at least make this a very low priority fix, but a fix none the less.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not comparable but there was a game (showed in State of the Game I think). Where Aliens and Marines raced for Hive / CC and Aliens got CC down a little earlier than Marines the last Hive, however Marines still won, because the Commander dropped a blueprint in the last moment xD
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Blue prints are legit.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I remember in the old days that last desparate evolve to gorge, running to a free hive spot, with HP ticking away.
    Almost never worked, in all fairness.
  • philoglphilogl Join Date: 2012-10-24 Member: 163529Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver
    I actually played a public game where a MAC repaired the power just as the 'Aliens Win' graphic appeared. It felt a little weird to be spawning while we had just lost because of no way to spawn :p
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @cctee
    Aye.. although sometimes it worked.. I mean, at times you had entire WOLs inbetween the marine forces and the empty hive spot you were racing to.
    Dont forget no infestation either.. It was perfectly doable in many pubs to sneakup a hive under cloak. :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    So the commander had a robo factory but did not use Power Surge to temporarily power an IP? o.0
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    So the commander had a robo factory but did not use Power Surge to temporarily power an IP? o.0

I would assume the comm hopped out at some point and died. Also possibly pre-power surge.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    There has been a comment in the ns2 code since the beta days talking about the win conditions and the fact it doesn't take into account mac repairing a node. I think they originally meant to code it in, but thinking about it myself, it would be a pain to code. A lot of effort for a seemingly simple mechanic. I'd guess that is why it hasn't been implemented yet.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members

If the power was out then you'd not have a working robotics factory. Without that, you can't use power surge. I found that out the wrong way when I commanded the other day.

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

The robo factory was in base and therefore unpowered just like everything else
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Ah. That makes more sense.
    Well then i'll just repeat my suggestion for win conditions that i've always wanted to see implemented:

IPs are powered by a command chair. (since they are dependent on the chair anyways, and the chair has power when the room does not)
    This mitigates the cheesy and frustrating "Win button" mechanic.

And why don't All buildings in range of the CC have power, then? :\
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Because none of them are dependent on the CC being built?
    The only structure required to be within range of the CC and a prerequisite of a built CC... are IPs
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited November 2013
    The only structure required to be within range of the CC and a prerequisite of a built CC... are IPs

So wait-if the obs is within range of the comm chair power (the blue circle), then it will still be powered? I'm confused now

:-/

Or do you mean the IPs stay powered? 'Cuz I'm fairly positive that that is not correct.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Well, the obs is dependent on an armory :\
    @rapgod
    I was suggesting that IPs remain powered regardless of a powernode being destroyed, as long as there is a CC present.

It basically keeps powernodes in techpoint rooms as intended, (as a means to disable an impenetrable fortress from sentries etc) .. yet removes their "win button" mechanic that they provide, by allowing spawning, so that marines may be able to contest the loss of their base / aliens must kill the IPs or CC. (much like how alien eggs continually spawn in waves, even while the hive is being attacked)

@f0rdprefect
    Yes.. the obs is dependent on an armory.. ?..
    I fail to see how this connects with the CC not requiring power to operate and therefore the intuitive step that neither should IPs?
    You can build an obs or armory anywhere on the map, and losing a CC will not effect those structure's operational abilities.. the same cannot be said about IPs.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IPs are powered by a command chair. (since they are dependent on the chair anyways, and the chair has power when the room does not)
    This mitigates the cheesy and frustrating "Win button" mechanic.

Solid idea, a limit to 1 IP being powered would seem more fair though. Similar to how aliens lose spawn rate when you take out eggs, so should power. Furthermore a 50% penalty to spawning without power seems quite reasonable.

This allows for someone to still respawn and fix the base while not making turtles any worse then they already are.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

Well, the obs is dependent on an armory :\

You need an obs to research phasegates :p
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    NedStar wrote: »
    a limit to 1 IP being powered would seem more fair though. Similar to how aliens lose spawn rate when you take out eggs, so should power. Furthermore a 50% penalty to spawning without power seems quite reasonable.

This allows for someone to still respawn and fix the base while not making turtles any worse then they already are.

This seems like an ideal option. Allow IP spawning at a reduced rate when power is cut. The limit of 1 IP at +50% respawn time sounds pretty reasonable. This would make cutting the power less of an instant win. You would still need to coordinate once the power goes down in order to succeed.

It would also make relocations and single marine comebacks a bit more viable.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @f0rdprefect
    Yes.. the obs is dependent on an armory.. ?..
    I fail to see how this connects with the CC not requiring power to operate and therefore the intuitive step that neither should IPs?
    You can build an obs or armory anywhere on the map, and losing a CC will not effect those structure's operational abilities.. the same cannot be said about IPs.
    I'm pretty sure if the power is on but the CC is destroyed, the IPs will still function provided there is another CC somewhere on the map (so the game hasn't ended).

But in any case, I agree with you, the IPs should draw power from the CC and be independent of the base power system. It would resolve a multitude of woes in one step. It would bring into question whether the IPs should work if their CC has been destroyed (maybe they would automatically draw power from the room in this case?).
    Well when your armory is destroyed, you don't lose functionality from your obs, despite the prerequisite. :)
    So i'd say its fine given the tres investment made on a 2nd CC and additional IPs.

But this is ignoring the whole "powered" conundrum.. so perhaps it'd be best to disable IPs afterall, when a CC is destroyed. (unless you stick with the suggested 50% powered notion mentioned above.. which.. complicates things)
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It really does make sense that IPs would retain power if their corresponding CC is still operational regardless of room power. That's the way sentries work right now even. It does alleviate some on the insta-win potential of just rushing the power in marine base as it would take a bit more effort to clean up the marines if they can still spawn. Would be interesting to see how it works in practice as I think "what makes sense" could probably afford to take a backseat to balance on this particular issue.
    Actually I'm pretty sure IPs continue to function even if the CC is destroyed... Obviously this almost never happens but I have seen it before.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    aliens outplayed marines. game over. start a new game.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Actually I'm pretty sure IPs continue to function even if the CC is destroyed... Obviously this almost never happens but I have seen it before.
    I can't be sure with all the ninja changes in every patch, but I've seen IPs working without CC a few times before.