No Spectator Servers

DeadonstickDeadonstick Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184877Members
Every once in a while (esspecially after a major patch) I enjoy simply spectating a public game. However these days most of the time I get automated-server messages or just players claiming that spectators are ruining the game and telling me to join up, or if it's an admin, demanding me to join up or I'll be kicked. This ofcourse makes some sense, I mean in a 16-slot server with one spectator that would mean that one team only has 7 members instead of 8. Regardless for me it is very annoying if I do want to spectate a game to have to back and forward between a hundred servers to find a game that's both interesting and allows spectators.

This makes me wonder why UWE hasn't created the option to create spectatorless servers so that people can see whether the server allows spectators. Another possible solution is to make an option that servers are "always open" regardless of player limit, but that each team can only have a set number of players. (so say a 20 slot server can have 10 aliens, 10 marines and practically infinite spectators or just ready room hangers), I realise this has performance reprocussions though, hence why there should probably be a limit on this somehow.

Regardless, it makes me wonder, how does the community feel about spectators? Are they just server-CPU leeching ingrates, the scum of the earth? Or are they just as important as regular players? If so, how should they be catered or treated? What does the community feel spectator mode should be and how it should be managed?

So I ask you community, fire away with your opinions and ideas.

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    There is a problem with making a server without spectators is that first person spectate is the only way to tell if a player is a cheater. A cheater has a very distinct first person view on how their camera moves. You can't really tell if a person is a cheater from just their K:D ration (though it does indicate someone might want to go spectate to check). Most servers don't have active admins all the time so spectate is vital for vote kicking aim bots.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think it's a pity that most people are so hostile towards spectators, especially in pub games.
    Spectator slots could be a solution. There are lots of solution. UWE just has to implement them...
  • DeadonstickDeadonstick Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184877Members
    ArthurDent wrote: »
    There is a problem with making a server without spectators is that first person spectate is the only way to tell if a player is a cheater. A cheater has a very distinct first person view on how their camera moves. You can't really tell if a person is a cheater from just their K:D ration (though it does indicate someone might want to go spectate to check). Most servers don't have active admins all the time so spectate is vital for vote kicking aim bots.

I thought that the first person spectator mode wasn't fully accurate. Wasn't it more of an approximation using a few plot points and the computer filling the rest in? Personally I find it hard to see if someone is a bot just from mouse movements.

But I guess as long as some people know how to identify bots this way it is indeed a useful tool.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    Ezekel nailed it. There's ways to watch NS2 without uselessly occupying a spot on a server.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    I thought that the first person spectator mode wasn't fully accurate. Wasn't it more of an approximation using a few plot points and the computer filling the rest in? Personally I find it hard to see if someone is a bot just from mouse movements.

But I guess as long as some people know how to identify bots this way it is indeed a useful tool.

Yes, but that's true to some degree in all FPS games. NS2 potentially could be very exact when clients sent an update to the server for every frame but now it's more like basically everything else and sends a maximum of 20 or 30 (?) updates per second. So if you for example play at 100 FPS but only send less than a 1/3 of the mouse movements you see on your monitor to the server then yeah, what you describe is true, and it is. This is also the way it was in NS1, CS, Quake, TF... I don't know of any FPS game that doesn't do this.
  • DeadonstickDeadonstick Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184877Members
    Mice operate at 125-1000hz, there's no way to send that many updates to the client constantly. So yeah, there's always a disgrepency. But it matters whether we're talking 5 updates per second or 100. And from what I've heard NS2 has quite low update rates. Then again these are rumors, by no means scientific tests, so if anyone has more solid info on this I'd be happy to hear.
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    Yes, there is only 30 data points per second, but that is more than enough to notice some really strange behavior.

Human movement is smooth and doesn't move in perfectly straight lines when aiming. If a person uses an aimbot, when a target gets on screen the target reticle will either teleport onto the target or move in a perfectly straight line to it. Also, if they are tracking targets through walls is a dead giveaway. The key is seeing unnatural camera movement or other actions that a player wouldn't be doing normally.

Note: The player having almost perfect target tracking isn't enough of a reason to accuse them of cheating (they could be a pro). The trick is looking for unnatural, or strange movements (aka perfectly straight lines when aiming).

Note 2: If they are shooting aliens that are completely invisible, wait and see if they are shooting them all the time. It could just be that they are checking the usual hiding spots. If they shoot at spots that don't contain aliens, then they aren't cheating, they're just smart :P . If they only shoot at spots that contain invisible aliens, then they're cheating (some sort of texture or shader hack probably).

Ex: One aimbotter I saw had programed his aimbot to target the general color of the aliens . So his/her reticle was jumping constantly in straight lines to items in the environment that where about the same color as well as the aliens.

It would be nice if there was a way to set dedicated spectator slots so that the server list could show a game is full but had spectator slots available.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Very good, informative post. Bonus points for your name.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    edited November 2013
    My tracking isnt smooth, my shotgun snaps in straight line in less than 10frames which make it
    Impossible for you to register if it was perfect or not. You imply aimbotters are incapable of faking. Also, youre never 100% invisible, its pretty easy to see cloaked aliens.

You make a lot of assumptions that will only apply to either stupid people or shitty aimbots. Sitting in spectate trying to identify a good aimbot isnt happening without watching a recording several times.
    SanCo wrote: »
    My tracking isnt smooth, my shotgun snaps in straight line in less than 10frames which make it
    Impossible for you to register if it was perfect or not. You imply aimbotters are incapable of faking. Also, youre never 100% invisible, its pretty easy to see cloaked aliens.

You make a lot of assumptions that will only apply to either stupid people or shitty aimbots. Sitting in spectate trying to identify a good aimbot isnt happening without watching a recording several times.

I think he is talking about tracking aim (LMG), not twitch aim.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited November 2013
    I'd be all for spec slots as long as they don't take away from an actual player slot. I have seen many games in the past have both, it's doable.

The ideal scenario however would be having the play server replicate to a secondary spectate only server... which has been done in other games as well.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    I can only sleek to some servers such as KKG where spectating is disabled to everyone BUT admin, who has the authority to act on potential cheating.

That being said there are negatived to openly allowing spectators in PUBs.
    1. Rage quiter, if your going to rage do it right and leave the server. Instead of unbalancing the teams and preventing new people from joining who might finish out the round.
    2. prejoin recon, where person joins server sees game in progress, spectates, joins winning team, informs them of enemy status.

Spectating for the sake of spectating can be enjoyable, but in its current state it should be left to admin.
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    1. Rage quiter, if your going to rage do it right and leave the server. Instead of unbalancing the teams and preventing new people from joining who might finish out the round.

Ha. Most people are fine if you hang around in the ready room ,though.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    How about we lower all 24 man servers to 16 or 18 and have the rest as spec slots?... >:) Troll bait placed. hehe

Anyway, in regards to your how_to_catch a hacker post, it really isn't that easy. With the exception of blatant aimbotting without any smooth-aim assist on, hackers are really hard to find. Wall hacks are next to impossible to identify unless you run a similar program while speccing suspicious person. Anything less is just a guess by a admin.

On the other hand, I have not seen a hacker in ns2 in quite some time... Months to be exact and I play the game quite often.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    @F0rdPrefect Lol, no obviously sitting in RR is an option for rage quiters, though at least they are removed from the game, allowing them to watch the game they couldn't handle is to good for them.

I'm sure a mod could be made that prevented a player from spectating after F4, or that would prevent spectators from joining until the next round. But as is its one more thing that can be abused that does not benifit the average player.
  • popolitopopolito Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187177Members
    Spectating identifies nothing about a hacker except clip vs dead skulk/other lifeform. Two people i've spectated ever in 1k+ hours plus could kill 5 skulks with one lmg clip... that's called aimbot.
    Twitch mechanics of things like shotgun or railgun combined with lag are useless to spectate. Claiming someone is wall-hacking even with substantial first person spectate "evidence" is useless. Sound, map awareness/understanding, and team chat can nullify pretty much every claim.
    Why are people unfriendly to specs? Ghosting. I don't care about being a man down in a 20-24 slot. Ghosting is the same if not more of an advantage to hacking and since spec isn't going to help you catch someone cheating there is no reason to be in it. Wtf would you want spec in 24 slot? Server degeneration?
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    ArthurDent wrote: »
    Yes, there is only 30 data points per second, but that is more than enough to notice some really strange behavior.

Human movement is smooth and doesn't move in perfectly straight lines when aiming. If a person uses an aimbot, when a target gets on screen the target reticle will either teleport onto the target or move in a perfectly straight line to it. Also, if they are tracking targets through walls is a dead giveaway. The key is seeing unnatural camera movement or other actions that a player wouldn't be doing normally.

Note: The player having almost perfect target tracking isn't enough of a reason to accuse them of cheating (they could be a pro). The trick is looking for unnatural, or strange movements (aka perfectly straight lines when aiming).

Note 2: If they are shooting aliens that are completely invisible, wait and see if they are shooting them all the time. It could just be that they are checking the usual hiding spots. If they shoot at spots that don't contain aliens, then they aren't cheating, they're just smart :P . If they only shoot at spots that contain invisible aliens, then they're cheating (some sort of texture or shader hack probably).

Ex: One aimbotter I saw had programed his aimbot to target the general color of the aliens . So his/her reticle was jumping constantly in straight lines to items in the environment that where about the same color as well as the aliens.

It would be nice if there was a way to set dedicated spectator slots so that the server list could show a game is full but had spectator slots available.

I'm unsure what you mean by aliens that are completely invisible... Nothing besides alien structures that are shaded are ever completely invisible. There's always a slight shimmer even when idle as alien with shade upgrades. If you mean they're hiding in dark corners it doesn't take a shader mod to see them... Just turn up the brightness, ect.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Often when I feel a game is truly over, I just F4 and sit in spec the rest of the game, because it's so not worth playing at that point. I ran into a server in the US that did this once, immediately left, because it's boring to just sit in RR, and there's no way I'm going to go sit in marine base for 15 more minutes.

Thankfully these servers don't exist in Aus.
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    As a server admin I totally understand why some people want to spectate (fun, checking out a dodgy player, trying to learn from a good player, etc) but on the yoclan server we've found that the server is popular and would rather all the slots are taken up by people playing. We (or I anyway) will always ask three times for a spectator to join up when the server is full, if they don't respond I do kick them because in my experience a lot of people tend to head to spectate in order to keep their slot while they go afk for a while. Harsh, yes perhaps, but someone else always joins within a few seconds who wants to join a team and play.
  • MavickMavick Join Date: 2012-11-07 Member: 168138Members
    popolito wrote: »
    Spectating identifies nothing about a hacker except clip vs dead skulk/other lifeform. Two people i've spectated ever in 1k+ hours plus could kill 5 skulks with one lmg clip... that's called aimbot.
    Twitch mechanics of things like shotgun or railgun combined with lag are useless to spectate. Claiming someone is wall-hacking even with substantial first person spectate "evidence" is useless. Sound, map awareness/understanding, and team chat can nullify pretty much every claim.
    Why are people unfriendly to specs? Ghosting. I don't care about being a man down in a 20-24 slot. Ghosting is the same if not more of an advantage to hacking and since spec isn't going to help you catch someone cheating there is no reason to be in it. Wtf would you want spec in 24 slot? Server degeneration?

Not quite true. One borderline individual I spectated a few months ago went over the line when I watched him track several aliens through walls.
  • RetracedRetraced Join Date: 2013-01-30 Member: 182616Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    If you're interested in just spectating a match, feel free to hop on one of the Tactical Gamer servers and do so. Several of the admins and players have heavily modded the spectator experience.

It has 3 non-admin spectator slots which don't impact the amount of players in the game (a server-created mod allows for a maximum of 16 players to participate in the match, while still allowing 3 spectators to watch). There's also a spectator voicecomm mod that has several modes the player can choose, including allowing spectators to hear the voicecomm of both the marine and alien teams, only one team in particular, or only the voicecomm of other spectators.

TG's reserved slot system isn't universally popular (and understandably so), but players in spectate are immune to any 'bumping' due to reserved slots. There are some fantastic matches on the server (especially at night when it is filled with regulars), so it can be quite a bit of fun to watch.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Without a doubt, this game is one of the best to spec, especially if you are familiar with the players.

Oddly enough, it's not quite as satisfying if I just watch twitch.tv matches, but I suppose it's because of the after match talk...