The problem with this game is teams are never balanced.

swansongswansong mk Join Date: 2013-11-04 Member: 188985Members
People seem to love the idea of commanders and claim the game is dumbed down if it doesn't have it like with BF. However in reality 99.9999999% of people come to play because it is an FPS and no one ever wants to be a commander and what always ends up happening is one team doesn't have a commander and gets rolled. It just isn't a good game mechanic and the building should be done in real time by everyone playing. I can see how a commander could be good for private competitive games, however NS2 has no competitive scene, it's purely pub games and for them it sucks and ruins the game. People can say play a game without a commander........ there are no servers with it disabled. I think partly this is down to the game giving you no fucking idea how to play a commander, also though most people don't want to be one, like me, no desire to play it, however I would get move involved if it was handled Engineer style in TF2.

If it isn't the commander ruining the balance, it is just down to team balance, there is no balance via skill and the auto balance takes way too long to kick in. Most of the time people quit out of a game when losing... this annoys me and it's usually down to the commander or lack of. Why not ban people for quitting out like CS:GO competitive mode? There just needs to be something done, it is no fun for either side when one side is winning by a country mile...

I would love to love this game, sadly the lack of balanced teams kills it for me, I'm sick of joining a game and having to join the losing side because they're the ones with any slots left as their team is all quitting out. I'm sick of the end of every game, half the people leave so when the next game comes along it's so unbalanced as a result and is ruined before it starts. I'm sick of commanders, they're either shit or we never have one and they're so hard to replace mid match as people who are playing are having fun and don't want to ruin it by becoming a commander.

Comments

• AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The commander is one of these most unique things about this game. If you don't like it, don't play this game.

The game has nowhere near enough players to have that kind of system like csgo, besides random pubs are completely different than competitive matchmaking.

Play on servers with skill based team mod.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nice first post. Would read again, 10/10.
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Benson wrote: »
    Check out Combat mode, it removes commanders and is a purely FPS experience. You may enjoy it a lot more than vanilla.

Commanders won't be removed from vanilla NS2 anytime soon (ever). So if you do enjoy the FPS game play in itself I highly recommend you check out the combat mod like @Benson suggests.

After the wave of new players from the Halloween sale have settled in and gotten some experience (or quit) give vanilla another try when more players are competent. NS2 suffers from a very steep learning curve so the game play in pubs tends to take a nose dive every time the game goes on sale/has a free weekend.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    swansong wrote: »
    however NS2 has no competitive scene
    http://www.ensl.org/
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    swansong wrote: »
    I would love to love this game, sadly the lack of balanced teams kills it for me, I'm sick of joining a game and having to join the losing side because they're the ones with any slots left as their team is all quitting out.

You do realise this is the case in every multiplayer game? Players leave (for whatever reason) and new players that have just joined will always be put on the team which has the least players. Reading your post I imagine you are very frustrated, and I fully understand that. These sale weekends result in the some of the most broken and unbalanced matches you can imagine, because all the new players stack up on the Marine team and get kicked to shit by experienced Alien teams. It isn't an enjoyable situation for anyone, but you have to realise that the problem stems from the new players all stacking up on the same team.

As for the commander role, you can't really blame veteran players for not wanting to play with Rookies. If they play as Commander, they will be incredibly frustrated (especially as Marine commander) due to their team being new (or bad), and if they take part in the match, they will easily kill these new players, potentially putting them off the game.

What this boils down to, is you either put the time in to learn the game, or you quit. There are plenty of shooters out there that cater to players that just want to button mash, but NS2, this one caters to players that want much more than that. But because of this it does have a long learning curve. I would recommend you spend a great deal of time in the Tutorial section of the game, watch the videos, play in the sandbox and learn the maps.
  • NeoQuaker1NeoQuaker1 New York Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183182Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    From my experience, only about 1/4 games I play have balanced teams. But it's ok because that one awesome occasional game more than makes up for it. If you take random people off the street and put them in a football game, chances are those team won't be even. It's the nature of pubs.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is a tutorial for the commander and many many youtube videos on how to play it.

And the problem is not, that all commanders are bad. The problem is that the players didn't realize that it's their fault that they are losing, not the commanders. When there would be no cry babies that blame the com for their own low skill, there would be more commanders.

Against popular believe it is not fun to be blamed by the whole team for bullshit.

---

Team balance is a thing, yes. But there are servers out there that have the option to vote for elo based teams. (like HBZ) And the devs said, that there is a system coming that will allow some kind of match making. So you can get more organized and fair matches.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think he talks about Bf4.

Btw, how can he have zero posts? He clearly has one, but it's not being displayed.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Because this one didn't count.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would suggest joining some of the established clan servers, it is unlikely the commander mechanic will be removed as its what makes the game unique.

Having a good commander is nice but pure team work will win the day.

Last night three of my team were working in a squad and through good communication won the game. Stick with it and enjoy NS2, it is one of the better muliplayer games out there.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Indeed it's not fun to be blamed by your entire team for everything which is why being comm can suck pretty bad. But it's pretty rewarding when you get to be really good at it and your team actually listens.
  • StoogeyStoogey Australia (Land Down Under) Join Date: 2013-09-29 Member: 188516Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Every game I have commanded people have been nice and respectful to me, I have flaws as most people do and since I normally lose (as the only game I won out of 7 was when we rushed there hive with no upgrades as a last resort and we got there's before they got ours).

Just be fun give all the people on your team a warning asking them if you can command, and even then just be friendly to them all and everyone should be alright People will come to your defense
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Just to be fair regarding magnitudes in comparison.

Just as few people play competitively as publicly, if not less. Relatively.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Having a commander is what makes this game unique, i would not have played it for this long, and put this many hours into the game, and same would go for quite a few others.

Being a commander is another thing, remove it? dont think it will ever happen!
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Sorry, I read the OP and I just can't take it seriously...

1) "one team doesn't have a commander"
    That rarely happens anymore because the game won't start without them

2) "NS2 has no competitive scene"
    Atleast I can see a LOT of stuff being posted by UWE about "competitive match stream now!", so I have no idea where you got that idea from.

3) "there's usually no comm or a bad one"
    One word: sales.

4) "commander should be removed"
    Remove the mechanism that attracts a lot of people to the game + is awesome fun? No thanks

5) "auto-balance takes too long to kick in"
    It kicks in immediately when one team has +2 fewer people than the other afaik

Also, you claim that commander ruins the game for all pubbers, and 99.9999999% play the game with no desire to comm. That's simply wrong, and here's the explanation:

YOU are not EVERYONE.

Oh, and the Agree/Disagree ratio you have pretty much sums it up. :)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @OP
    I believe all agree on disagreeing with you (21 so far)...
  • StoogeyStoogey Australia (Land Down Under) Join Date: 2013-09-29 Member: 188516Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sorry, I read the OP and I just can't take it seriously...

1) "one team doesn't have a commander"
    That rarely happens anymore because the game won't start without them

2) "NS2 has no competitive scene"
    Atleast I can see a LOT of stuff being posted by UWE about "competitive match stream now!", so I have no idea where you got that idea from.

3) "there's usually no comm or a bad one"
    One word: sales.

4) "commander should be removed"
    Remove the mechanism that attracts a lot of people to the game + is awesome fun? No thanks

5) "auto-balance takes too long to kick in"
    It kicks in immediately when one team has +2 fewer people than the other afaik

Also, you claim that commander ruins the game for all pubbers, and 99.9999999% play the game with no desire to comm. That's simply wrong, and here's the explanation:

YOU are not EVERYONE.

Oh, and the Agree/Disagree ratio you have pretty much sums it up. :)

end+thread+_63f2c8214076ebaf7c21e6224c372802.png
    end_thread.jpg
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    The commander is one of these most unique things about this game. If you don't like it, don't play this game.

The game has nowhere near enough players to have that kind of system like csgo, besides random pubs are completely different than competitive matchmaking.

Play on servers with skill based team mod.

I agree. Commanders will always stay and that will NEVER change.

As usual I will say the fix to all problems is 249!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @coolitic I miss fade from 249, and honestly do miss a lot of the gameplay. The most fun I had was in pre BT changes. HOWEVER, I don't think it was the best version of NS2 that NS2 could be. I think it's in a better place right now except for whips and free tunnels. Free tunnels mostly for pub play though which doesn't really count (it's stupid that you can just go 3-4 gorges in 24p servers and tunnel everything and not suffer for it). Whips because they're so crucial for aliens right now to have a chance, which is dumb, as that's PvE. They're also SUPER irritating and make for tedious gameplay.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm so tired of people saying that 99.99999999% of people agree with them despite having absolutely no evidence of it
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Oh you can see little icons of ppl who disagreed, that's nifty.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    OP, you're about 10 years too late - noone gets angry at forum garbage anymore.

well, unless you're on a blizzard forum.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited November 2013
    My suggest to fix this is that players should always join the team that wins. That means no one can lose. :P
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
    Expecting balanced games right now is unrealistic. You can't expect balanced games when 40% of the player base has less then 30 hrs experience right now. The slightest thing can cause major skill imbalances ATM.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I'm so tired of people saying that 99.99999999% of people agree with them despite having absolutely no evidence of it

I just had to look at the disagree icon on top of the post...
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    I always thought it would be cool to have an AI commander for the days nobody feels like doing it... just sayin :)