Can Comm get an ammo meter on marines?

BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
All the time I hear "soldier needs ammo", and I click the popup, am transported to a vacant area with several marines running around, and I don't know who called for it.

It shouldn't be too hard to work that in right? Marines can only carry two weapons at a time, so that's only two very tiny ammo indicators, plus mines and grenades (don't really need those indicators though).

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It shows who need ammo above their heads.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Not anymore. I think you're talking about the "Commander Help" thing that used to be in options, that showed tech above buildings etc, as well as the ammo box above a marine. But since it got removed so did the ammo box.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yup, I turned off commander help because I was tired of the tutorial popping up... telling ME how to command! Harrumph!

Still, it'd be nice to see a meter, as some players just don't call for it until it's too late.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah commander UI is in need of some improvements. I can't see it being too difficult to replace soldier requests X with <player> requests X.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Anything that improves the commanders' experiences in NS2 would be extremely helpful, especially to get pub players into commanding!
  • dattodatto Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176794Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Nothing worse than a group of marines and one of them in that group pings for ammo. End up dropping 7 packs in hopes that the one person who needs it actually walks over it. Some notification of who actually pinged would be great.
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I'd also like to see some kind of change in ammo is picked up for marines. Lets say I have a mag or two left and then i ask for ammo but I don't get it, then some skulks come running in and I switch to my pistol, and then the comm drops ammo on me, I get no ammo for my main rifle, only my pistol, which is a complete waste.

And I completely agree op, whenever I have a 3 man squad or such doing well and 1 requests ammo, I just end up dropping like 4 or 5 ammo things just to ensure he got it, and he got it for his primary weapon.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Need 3 bars, one health/armor bar (armor looks different to health), one showing the amount of ammo left in the clip loaded, one showing number of clips left (all for weapon held).

I don't think it's that important for a commander to know how much ammo the marine has in his loaded mag. I think a single bar for the ammo pool of the primary weapon, and a second smaller bar for the ammo pool of the pistol (mostly so comms can see that their ammo box went to the pistol instead).
    I guess that's true.
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    I just want one ammo pack to fill up both pistol and main gun at the same time.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    SUPER_SARS wrote: »
    I just want one ammo pack to fill up both pistol and main gun at the same time.

This would also be a good suggestion, but I still think a mini bar for the pistol is a good idea either way.
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Need 3 bars, one health/armor bar (armor looks different to health), one showing the amount of ammo left in the clip loaded, one showing number of clips left (all for weapon held).

I also believe so. Having three bar would mean I could tell my players to weld each others (i.e. when playing with rookies). Plus allowing preemptive ammo pack.

Less discouraging to play with rookies then.
  • Gergow44Gergow44 Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185255Members
    Options menu checkboxes :

show armor [ ] (white line near hp)
    show current clip [ ] (short bar, maybe above name)
    show primary ammo [ ] (barN
    show primary clips [ ] (icons)
    show pistol ammo [ ] (line near ammo)

just my vision
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, health and ammo left hovering near the player would help. (make it an option)
    And having the "Player needs ammo" change to "Gordon_Freeman289382 needs ammo in the reactor" would be wonderful.
    Color coding the text would help as well (ex: red for health, blue for ammo)
    ArthurDent wrote: »
    And having the "Player needs ammo" change to "Gordon_Freeman289382 needs ammo in the reactor" would be wonderful.)

It doesn't need to say the location, that's just useless screen clutter. Double clicking it takes you to the location, that's good enough.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Not for everyone, me for example, i click on it and it just sends me to the furthest part of the map. i hit space and i get the same treatment. need some genuine On-screen-indicators as to who needs health and ammo, and who does not.
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That shouldn't happen, ever tried a fresh install of ns2?

edited November 2013
    @AuroN2 your game is messed up bro. If I click a request or space I get taken directly to the person who called it. If I hold space/click then it'll even follow them around centred.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Knowing who it was that called for ammo isn't really as important as being able to tell for yourself who's low on ammo. A lot of people don't make ammo calls even when they're empty.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is one of those things that I've always thought they should add, and wondered why they didn't. It seems like it would be so simple to do, but maybe I'm just not understanding the full development process.

To leapfrog off this another thing the commander UI has desperately needed for a year is the ability to custom bind hotkeys
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I could look at doing this, if it's possible, it's a little harder than you think, not impossible, but would take a little bit of time (for me), just so that it can become a mod that no one uses. :-<
    Just get Andi to include it in BT, it'll make it in :P

I don't think it would be that difficult, take the ammo bar that's in the spectator mode and change it to retrieve the variable for clips remaining instead of rounds in clip.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Would be a nice add from uwe, more than a mod. Js.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Part of the problem is that the go to last alert key goes only to that last alert and does not cycle up to the previous few alerts as in most RTS games.

Commander UI could definitely use some love in general.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    +1 on this and other things mentioned. The com UI is in general very lacking.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2013
    Bump, because please do it.

The specc already kind of has it, so It shouldn't be hard to implement and it would add a lot to the game.

Just the "current ammo" bar below the health bar and 2 percentages for the primary and secondary weapon ammo next to those bars.

edit: or the "current ammo" bar changes color according to the current global ammo.