Unplayable below 60 FPS

CrensenCrensen Canada Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188952Members
edited November 2013 in Technical Support
Hello,

I just bought this game on the steam halloween sale, and at first impressions am quite favorably impressed with the game. Unfortunately, despite my prolonged efforts to fix the technical issues I am experiencing I have yet to really be able to enjoy (let alone even play) it. I am experiencing some seriously heinous mouse input lag, and MASSIVE performance drops when even the slightest thing is happening on screen. I have a mid-low range computer but have been able to play just about everything that has come out in the last few years. I have tried every single one of the fixes for both input lag and stuttering but am still finding the game unplayable. I have everything (EVERYTHING) turned off and the game at minimal settings - this gives me about 45-50 FPS on average. However, the input lag is still so bad I simply cannot play the game. Whenever an alien is running at me it drops to about 25-30, and once I start turning frantically trying to shoot the damn thing, it's down to about 10-15 FPS. I have noticed that in the ready room if I stand right up against the wall and don't turn around I can get 60-65, and this gets rid of 80-85% of the mouse lag - That's crazy. Why would 45 FPS be too low for the game to accurately display my mouse position? What can I even do? I have changed my mouse input rate via the program linked in the performance thread http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131701/microstuttering-input-delay-fixes-to-try/p2 but still nothing changes. It seems many people have experienced this problem but it would seem recent patches have eliminated the problems for most.

Is there anything else to try, or should I just shelve this one (angrily) and wait a year until I upgrade my pc? I'm really, really dissapointed in this, as I was very excited about the game once I got it loaded up and was able to see what it was all about. Never before have I had so many problems related to input lag. It just seems insane to me that 45 FPS still does not allow for smooth mouse input. I play just about all my games at 30 FPS and never seen anything like this. /rant over.

Specs: AMD Radeon 6620G
AMD A8 3520M CPU
6GB RAM

BTW - The forum registration is messed up. Firefox would not alow me to zoom out the page enough to click the terms of service button. I had to use IE.

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide me.

*EDIT* I should note I have tried every one of the fixes I could find - diabling desktop composition, raw mouse input, e.t.c

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Welcome to the forum. The issue with the registration is well known but can't be fixed due to that the forum is hosted by a external provider.

I have one question for you could you create a tech_support.zip?
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Weclome to the forum!

I know how you mention how your computer is mid to low end... but it is pretty far down the low end. Still, you should be able to play well enough I imagine with everything set to low.

Are there any chances you could capture your performance with a benchmark?
  • CrensenCrensen Canada Join Date: 2013-11-02 Member: 188952Members
    Hello,

Yes, it is fairly low. Perhaps a more apt description would be high-lowend. I have created a tech support.zip - should I email to the address provided or is there a way to attach it here?

I can try and capture it, if it would help - what program would be the least demanding on my CPU?

Thank you very much for the response.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Crensen wrote: »
    Hello,

Yes, it is fairly low. Perhaps a more apt description would be high-lowend. I have created a tech support.zip - should I email to the address provided or is there a way to attach it here?

I can try and capture it, if it would help - what program would be the least demanding on my CPU?

Thank you very much for the response.

Hi, your problem seems to be your graphic card. NS2 is not known for performing well with mobile graphic cards. Have you tried the newest graphic driver? Also could you take a screenshot ingame after you opened the console (^) and typed in r_stats ?
    edited November 2013
    Hello,

It appears I was one driver behind - I am currently updating now. I have taken a screenshot (pre-driver update) and will do it again once it is finished installing.

[img]C:\Users\Eddie\Desktop\NS2 1158x762.jpg[/img]

Thanks again for helping.

Hmm - the screenshot won't seem to upload. I have put it here http://postimg.org/image/zbht5ldfz/ please let me know if that is visible enough.
    Here is a screenshot post driver update - the mouse lag is now gone from the menu screens, but I think my in game FPS has actually gone down from the 40 average I had before... problem is now even more noticeable.

http://postimg.org/image/850sg8n7b/

• Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The main problem really is your GPU (and CPU somewhat) are just lacking in power. Are you positive everything is on the lowest it can be? Graphically that is.

I would maybe recommend using radeonpro to lock your FPS at 30 perhaps... just so you can maybe have a semblance of steady FPS.
    Hello,

Yes, it is on the lowest everything can go. None of the special effects are enabled, textures are on low, physx is off.... Ill try what you suggested with radeon pro.

BY THE WAY - DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE LATEST DRIVER - THEY DESTROYED MY COMPUTER PERFORMANCE. I just the last hour trying to roll back the damn things. DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR DRIVERS IF YOU ARE USING A RADEON 6620G CARD!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    0 ms waiting on gpu tells me that you are CPU bound. This game is very cpu intensive.
    What do you have it clocked at?

Here is a good reference of your cpu compared to modern cpu performances :
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-3520M+APU&id=33

Also when you first load into the menu, what does your console say is your rendering device? I ask because you are using an APU (ewww) that can use it's internal gpu instead of your dedicated one.

IronHorse wrote: »
    0 ms waiting on gpu tells me that you are CPU bound. This game is very cpu intensive.
    What do you have it clocked at?

Here is a good reference of your cpu compared to modern cpu performances :
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A8-3520M+APU&id=33

Also when you first load into the menu, what does your console say is your rendering device? I ask because you are using an APU (ewww) that can use it's internal gpu instead of your dedicated one.

It's at its default clock speed, 1.6GHZ. And wow, I guess I never realized quite how terrible this system is. Maybe I won't wait a year as originally planned. The console doesn't seem to specify the rendering device, only that it is initializing the 6620G. Screenshot here: http://postimg.org/image/zczxcqk4j/

Again, really appreciate the advice being given.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    The minium requirements on the store page call for 2.4 ghz iirc
    (most modern games have such a requirement these days)

I personally run mine at 4ghz hehe

You are correct. I hope the impression I gave was not that you owe me support - I fully realize that is not the case. I apologize if my original post came off more aggressive than I intended. I suppose I will come back and see how the game runs in a few months, once I manage to get a new computer.

Thank you all for the help. It would seem to be a lost cause.

Ed
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    My only suggestion would be looking at the "ULTRA LOW" mods on the steam workshop, from what I understand they lower graphics settings even further for lower end PCs
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189793180
    Graphics will not effect his cpu usage though ;)
    @op: its all good man, I hope you get some new hardware soon to play with us!
    Feel free to ask about anything, anytime here