Phantom and scan

Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
edited October 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I enjoy playing a phantom skulk, but if the marine comm is worth his salt, he will scan the rooms where marines are going, making phantom useless. This makes a shade hive as the first hive a poor option.
Phantom should work so that when the room is scanned, a skulk has 1 second to stop running or the scan will locate him. If he's located with scan he will also be visible for the duration of that scan. If the skulk sneaks while under scan, he will not be scanned but he becomes fully visible. When sneaking under scan, the scan 'pressure' builds up against phantom and after 5 seconds of continuous sneaking the skulk will be located by scan. It would work similarly to exo's gun heating, which must be waited to cool down (there should be some visual cue). Whenever the skulk stays in place while the room is scanned, he will be cloaked unless he was already fully spotted by scan.
The observatories would work the same way as always.

Comments

• ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members
    Shade Hive first tends to be a poor option anyway due to the large number of players that start camping spots the moment they are stealthed. With that being said, you can always use your stealth to attack the Marine RTs to starve them of res. That way the Commander will be reluctant to scan often.

For me, I am happy with it the way it is now.
  • Al_BoboAl_Bobo Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183957Members
    edited October 2013
    In my experience, when shade hive is researched first and marines figure that out, scan spam starts and aliens starts to lose footing, when phantom doesn't work. 95% of time shift or crag hive is made first. That tells me that something isn't right with shade hive and needs to be changed. I mean, it shouldn't ALWAYS be the last hive to be built, should it?
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Sad thing is that you don't even need scan to see the skulks. Change picmips/lod from graphic's card to low and up your screen's gamma and you can see the "cloaked" skulks allways.
    99% camoflauge is not 100% thus making the scan game pretty much useless
    That may be a way some sad people play, but majority of people won't use tricks like that.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    Phantom is probably the best trait for the skulk. Unfortunately adrenaline/celerity is so crucial for the lerk, fade and Onos that it has to one of the first two hives. And I love having regeneration as a lerk so I will always want crag before shade.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Phantom is probably the best trait for the skulk. Unfortunately adrenaline/celerity is so crucial for the lerk, fade and Onos that it has to one of the first two hives. And I love having regeneration as a lerk so I will always want crag before shade.

A lerk with celerity + aura is deadly.
    Al_Bobo wrote: »
    In my experience, when shade hive is researched first and marines figure that out, scan spam starts and aliens starts to lose footing, when phantom doesn't work. 95% of time shift or crag hive is made first. That tells me that something isn't right with shade hive and needs to be changed. I mean, it shouldn't ALWAYS be the last hive to be built, should it?

Ever heard of the naturalistic fallacy? It basically means "don't deduce what should be from what is" (yeah, that's bad english, I know). Just because everybody does it doesn't mean it's right. I always go crag last.
    Tbh, I love playing as a lerk, especially the adrenaline/regen lerk. Still, I want to see a shade hive as the starting hive more often and my suggestion is a tweak to make it stronger. The servers I play in suffer of "shift and crag -hives first" curse and if the shade hive is made more appealing, I hope to break that evil spell. Though, I feel that even if my suggestion was implemented, it wouldn't be enough. Maybe if the aura would also give some energy or hp back when biting marines or something.... hmm hmmmm.....
  • MrRadicalEdMrRadicalEd Turrent Master Join Date: 2004-08-13 Member: 30601Members
    This is an example of taking NS1 stuff and cramming it through an NS2 hole.

The mechanic that made NS1 dynamic for aliens was the use of upgrade chambers on the field without infestation. So yes, Hive 1 Shades would be viable... in another world.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Tbh, I love playing as a lerk, especially the adrenaline/regen lerk. Still, I want to see a shade hive as the starting hive more often and my suggestion is a tweak to make it stronger. The servers I play in suffer of "shift and crag -hives first" curse and if the shade hive is made more appealing, I hope to break that evil spell. Though, I feel that even if my suggestion was implemented, it wouldn't be enough. Maybe if the aura would also give some energy or hp back when biting marines or something.... hmm hmmmm.....

Shade is actually very powerful (more powerful than crag, imo). People just don't realise it/don't know how to use it (in pubs).
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited October 2013
    OP, scan is a direct counter to phantom just like bile is a counter to arc pushes. It is just part of the game. Phantom, early game, is one of the most annoying things for marine commanders. Constant scanning costs a lot of res which results in slower upgrades. Good aliens who clear marine pressure AND kill their res nodes make scanning feel even more expensive. Aura skulks, who dedicate themselves to be those annoying RT biters, are extremely powerful.

tl;dr, shade hive in pubs works well if the aliens play it correctly.

edit: need more coffee, I had like 4 typos in there.
  • ZalamaelZalamael Join Date: 2013-08-18 Member: 186949Members

Well, there is more to Shade Hives than Phantom. I tend to use Aura more often, even as a Skulk, because it helps with effective ambushing as well as showing which targets to prioritise. In fact, the stealth is probably the worst part of Phantom, the sound silence is far more useful. Stealth is mostly useful for hiding in an obvious place and hoping the Marines aren't asute enough to be looking for the stealth shimmer.

And there are the Drifter abilities to consider as well (I forget the name of the one that spawns controllable illusions).

• NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Im still hoping for something like, "Cloak stacking," Where if an alien is cloaked by phantom (with 3 veils) AND is walking near a shade, they will not be detected by scans
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The only issue with shade first that I can see is kind of a weird one in that...

It's not shift or crag.

The wording is important there, and I'll explain why.
    Lets assume you've gone shade first and the game's been fairly even thus far. You now have two options for your next hive - crag or shift.

Problem is, whichever of these two you pick you are going to have one of your lifeform's abilities severely stunted. No cara gives you very vulnerable fades and onos. No adrenaline means all but the best fades will struggle in combat, gorges cant go for very long, and lerks can't support as strongly.

"but d00d with shade you should f*** them up so badly you don't even need to get any more hives, it's l2play issue"
    - probably what I'd say to someone explaining what I've just explained.
    And it's true.

Shade hive is awesome early game but massively stunts your lategame ability. I find in pubs, very often people almost seem unwilling to group up and finish the game with a base rush because it's considered unfair/cheese and ALSO because... wait for it... People enjoy long, exciting games. Smashing a team in pub with shade1st is easily doable, but it's not actually that fun, because you know the other team could well be full of rookies who have no idea how to counter invisible aliens that know their every movement.

But I digress.

Additional ideasplurge (dont judge this overall post based on the following);

If I could make any change to shade, I'd do the following-

- Scans don't reveal slow-moving, phantom aliens.

- Marine flashlights will make alien eyes glow brightly (like shining a light into the eyes of any nighttime animal). Would have to be limited to a certain range/ there are various factors to balance it but you get the idea.

It'd give marines some ability to detect tricksy aliens without Tres expenditure, and would make sense by the laws of physics (if your retinas (the bits that reflect/absorb light) are invisible, you would be blind!).
    The only issue with shade first that I can see is kind of a weird one in that...

It's not shift or crag.

I agree with that part; but because I miss Mucous membrane, not cara.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    edited October 2013
    I would love for them to do something to make shade more enticing as a first (or at the very least second) hive. In my opinion it is by far the best and most underappreciated of the 3. I think making lvl 3 give you 100% invisibility when stationary (so people can't tweak their settings to see you) would be a huge step.

Yesterday I had the fortune of playing several games with a shade commander, and the other team was just helpless. Even when they started spamming scans, I just switched to aura and continued the slaughter. (so easy to pick off the injured)

It isn't even so much the cloak that makes it useful, but the completely silent running and biting. Every time shade is first I find myself getting 2-3 bites on marines before they even realize I'm there. Plus it allows you to bite down extractors while listening for Marine footsteps.

I've lost count of how many times I've been silently biting an extractor, heard footsteps in time to jump up to the ceiling and cloak, then drop down and get the kill when they start repairing.

I also disagree with Onos being weak without shells... I die easier when I don't have celerity or phantom... celerity makes you stupidly fast and able to outrun all but jetpackers, and phantom allows you to move around without sounding like an avalanche. (which in turn lets you get the drop on unsuspecting marines)
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I used to think that 1st Shade hive is more or less useless: What do any of the two upgrades bring a skulk what they don't have from the start? Hold down shift and your silent. Listen to footsteps and you know where marines are. Well not as strong as the actual upgrade, but you know what I mean. The other two hive possibilities seem way more viable.
    After a while I started to learn how to effectivily use Aura and Phantom and learned to appreciate it. Still not as 1st hive though, as play Gorge a lot. But does it have to be a 100% viable 1st hive choice? I like the idea of it beeing more a supportive, supplementary hive.