Ultra low detail mod

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
Released a mod attempting to create a 'ultra low' texture option:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189793180&searchtext=

Haven't run any benchmarks yet. Will hafta look into editing the models to create low poly versions, as I think that would have a greater general performance boost.

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Yay :) Looks fantastic, can't wait to run it.

I'll push very hard for this to be included in Season 2 for ausns2 league.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited October 2013
    Wait included as in put on the servers so everyone has to use them? Go me and go kyle!
    Anyway, awesome work aero!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Released a mod attempting to create a 'ultra low' texture option:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=189793180&searchtext=

Haven't run any benchmarks yet. Will hafta look into editing the models to create low poly versions, as I think that would have a greater general performance boost.

Super-ultra low: replace all props and entities with colored boxes. Yay fun!
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yay :) Looks fantastic, can't wait to run it.

I'll push very hard for this to be included in Season 2 for ausns2 league.

@male_fatalities One step closer to pink skulks? :p
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Does it remove the blinding effect of enzyme?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    Does it remove the blinding effect of enzyme?

Haven't tested enzyme yet, but none of the shaders or cinematics are altered so this shouldn't be affected. Ideally I'd like this to have an on/off feature worked into the menu to make it easy to switch between. Ideally, a server could 'whitelist' the mod so it doesn't necessarily run the mod for everyone, but it lets those that run it to use it.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's impossible for servers to whitelist mods. No such functionality exists.

The server needs to be running the mod its self, the consequence of that is that all clients will be using whatever files you modify. You must incorporate any ingame options yourself.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2013
    I've tried this as well a long time ago, to lower the memory consumption, it didn't impact FPs at all. But it did help with hitching back then on my ancient machine. Will it have an influence without the use of LoD models (lowering the polycount) is the question here, it would indeed be interesting to see the difference if you're going to take that step :P

Also it looks kinda cool, cel shaded NS2

And... cory will find you and make you pay for what you've done :P
  • littleevilwolflittleevilwolf Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180231Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    you made a mod of playdoh mode :o this is cool.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Now I can play NS2 on my phone

Thanks
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What is this- Runescape?
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Now to incorporate this into an Alien vision mod and we can all appreciate it!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »

QFT :)

As Kouji mentioned, making lower polycount models is the way to solve this issue. You do realise, if this is used in AusNS, you are going to lose any viewers your league has.

That's right, put this on the server, and everyone connected to it, including casters/streamers, will be forced to use the same models. This means, they will be streaming this over twitch, or whatever they use.

This means the whole world will get to see NS2 in all it's.. Textureless glory. Do you think that will encourage people to buy and play the game, or turn them off because it looks like crap...

Just saying.. ;)

I understand the reasoning, but the implementation is a wrong choice. Lower poly models is the way to go. And you cant edit the old model, you have to create new low-poly models.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    You took the texture bug and made it a mod. Brilliant.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

QFT :)

As Kouji mentioned, making lower polycount models is the way to solve this issue. You do realise, if this is used in AusNS, you are going to lose any viewers your league has.

That's right, put this on the server, and everyone connected to it, including casters/streamers, will be forced to use the same models. This means, they will be streaming this over twitch, or whatever they use.

This means the whole world will get to see NS2 in all it's.. Textureless glory. Do you think that will encourage people to buy and play the game, or turn them off because it looks like crap...

Just saying.. ;)

I understand the reasoning, but the implementation is a wrong choice. Lower poly models is the way to go. And you cant edit the old model, you have to create new low-poly models.
    People get horrible hitches because of the forced texture streaming, lower res textures help with that. Although I'm not sure if it was the original intent of the mod, I'm sure it helps with it.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    I've tried this as well a long time ago, to lower the memory consumption, it didn't impact FPs at all. But it did help with hitching back then on my ancient machine. Will it have an influence without the use of LoD models (lowering the polycount) is the question here, it would indeed be interesting to see the difference if you're going to take that step :P

Don't have the know-how to make low poly models (or model in general), unfortunately. Something like this old mod, but for NS2 would be nice:

http://ns.gamebanana.com/skins/39676

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's graphically a bit similar to the old alien vision in that cartoony kinda way. I like it a lot :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Mendasp wrote: »
    People get horrible hitches because of the forced texture streaming, lower res textures help with that. Although I'm not sure if it was the original intent of the mod, I'm sure it helps with it.

I understand this. The whole point of the mod is a low texture version which uses less resources. While this mod is great for the players on really low power machines (and I get itches too, so it would benefit me), the talk of making it part of the AusNS league was what I was saying it is the wrong implementation for.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    aeroripper wrote: »

Don't have the know-how to make low poly models (or model in general), unfortunately. Something like this old mod, but for NS2 would be nice:

http://ns.gamebanana.com/skins/39676

hehe that one brings back memories mon
    edited October 2013
    I understand this. The whole point of the mod is a low texture version which uses less resources. While this mod is great for the players on really low power machines (and I get itches too, so it would benefit me), the talk of making it part of the AusNS league was what I was saying it is the wrong implementation for.

I think you misunderstood my comment.

It would not be forced on players, but there are numerous players (such as myself) that absolutely hate the amount of detail and eye candy in the game. I find it distracting and would remove 99% of it if i could. I will be pushing for the Ausns2 league to allow it so that players can use it if they so choose...

fyi, making a decision based on viewers is the most retarded thing ever. The league is for players, who the fuck cares about the 15 Australians who watch our own games lol.

The closer it gets to this, the better for me!

shot0001.jpg
    You do realise this only affects models/textures? All the vision interfering effects, cinematics and stuff, are still on display with the mod.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    edited October 2013
    It'd be depressing to find out this doesn't increase performance, I've always wanted to run the game looking like it does when you first load in, before everything gets detailed out, just to see if min_fps can stay above 60.
    Do you think that will encourage people to buy and play the game, or turn them off because it looks like crap...

Current Players Peak Today Game
    34,542 77,576 Team Fortress 2
    8,466 36,459 Counter-Strike
    6,364 29,568 Counter-Strike: Source

You're kidding yourself if you don't think these 3 games enjoy being in the top 10 because you can run them on a toaster™, even implying that FPS need huge graffix to sell with the millions of plebeians running LoL, 1.6, CSS, QL etc on their welfare boxes tells me you're not an expert on what makes FPS or video games in general popular.

And for one last unfair comparison:
    27,343 60,203 Terraria

60k god damn players playing 2D minecraft.

edit: l4d2 is not top 10 ever.
    A post from Xao I agree with +1!