NS2 locks up my computer when I click Exit and needs to be hard shut down

XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
See title for my problem, it has happened 3 times in 3 days, click exit, computer freezes, wait 1 min, can't ctrl alt delete, can't alt F4, computer stops responding, hold down power button etc.

Never had this problem before but I've missed the last 10 or so builds.

Specs:

Win7, 3.4k intel, 7970, 12 gig or ram, no weird programs running in background except...last fm...since I last played and never had this problem, not sure what else to add or whether a crash log is submitted because the computer hangs up.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Could you add a tech_support.zip? PS: Im also using last.fm didn't had any crash yet.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Where's that bad boy hiding, in the my documents secret folder or the main folder in steam?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    You need to run TechSupport.exe in the NS2 game folder. For more infos look here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post
    Log.txt has the last game I played for 2-3 hours before it hanged/crashed, not sure what useful information is in there aside from 2 hours of shit talking.
    edited October 2013
    Hmm i see no hint why your system is crashing maybe one of those mods is corrupt, who knows. Hopefully someone else can help you. Just try to disable as many mods as you can and see if the problem stays. BTW try out DX 11 ;), will give you a little performance boost.
    Subscribed to 0 workshop mods, workshop folder was 1.15 gb, fuck me. Every game I've used DX 11 crashes a ton when I alt tab and with NS2 loading times and respawn times I alt tab a fair bit. Thanks for the assistance.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Your log shows you have some mods running, make sure they are all turned off in the mods menu and see if it still crashes, if so- maybe roll back your graphics drivers if this didn't used to be a problem, they are pretty recent (within 1 month) and might be having some obscure issue with the game.
    Xao wrote: »
    Subscribed to 0 workshop mods, workshop folder was 1.15 gb, fuck me. Every game I've used DX 11 crashes a ton when I alt tab and with NS2 loading times and respawn times I alt tab a fair bit. Thanks for the assistance.

Use borderless window mode for those games, also you had like 8 mods running at least two of them are outdated. Look in the menu under mods which are activated by you.
    No more mods in the Menu, nothing to disable, I assume I'll re-download 500 maps and a mod when I play on a combat server again. I did go from 13.4 to 13.9 on AMD drivers recently, just seems weird that all 3 hangs happen when I press Exit in the main menu
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Plugin a ps/2 keyboard if you can and startup your computer. (it wont accept live plugins).
    a ps/2 works on a deepper level (with IRQ) and may react where usb fails.

ns2 itself does not run in kernel mode and can not hang the kernel. (If windows freezes, the kernel 'hangs.')

So the list is as follows:
    * its something usb, if ps/2 works.
    * drivers.
    * software running under kernel. (like many AV, firewall)
    * hardware.
    * corrupt windows installation. (run sfc /scannow)

- check your event viewer.
    - While ns2 can not hang the kernel, a vid driver can. ns2 however can wrongly use the vid driver. The vid driver should not allow it to be wrongly used. (In this example, both are at fault)
    So basicly you need more info & need to look into your windows environment.
    I'm assuming if the driver is at fault I would be crashing other games as well? Aside from my 250 mod skyrim/fallout CTD I haven't experienced any other CTD or freezes for any games before or after updating the video drivers, not that I play a great deal of other games lately.

sfc found nothing, I'll see how no mods goes over the weekend, thanks for the help.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Not necessarily.
    For starters, every game is different, and the spec requirements of NS2 is an example of how it is not exempt from this rule.
    Not to mention, drivers not only can conflict with preexisting games in negative ways, (making some older ones unusable for instance) but they can also be tweaked to behave differently PER GAME, mostly by using what are commonly referred to as "profiles". This allows for very specific settings and methods per game.

I recommend what others have suggested:

Check windows event viewer and see if you can pull a hint out of that one (like error codes etc)
    Rollback the recent drivers
    Then inspect the next possible culprits like failing hardware etc

edit: this is IF the symptom continues after you removed all dem mods!
    Only took me 15 minutes to realise anything I would want to look at it is in that Custom View > Administrative Events panel in event viewer, there was nothing of note there except the 3 times it crashed saying it was unexpected.

I'll be in some games later and see if it hangs at all, thanks for the help.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Not sure if related, but sometimes when I type quit (this is how I close games ok) on the loading screen it will freeze for up to 2 minutes, I can't alt tab, but I CAN click on my other monitor and do stuff there, can't bring stuff up over the game though. Also I'm in windowed mode.

If I wait long enough eventually it closes.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Whoooo. did it say anything else about the unexpected crashes? (Probably not, but worth to ask).
    Note it can be ANY driver. (or ns2 pushing a driver wrong, which is as I said before, a fault of both ns2 and the driver).

* Really try with ps/2 keyboard if you can.
    * Does winkey + L (to lock your pc) work?
    * Another idea is to do nothing..wait...long. Lets say 15 mins. Does it suddenly react? (If not I hope the prolonged time will produce errors in the event viewer log).

Why does waiting matter? lets ASSUME something.
    If for some reason a harddisk is in sleepmode it would take a few seconds to wake up. I doubt it is the case for you, but its a example of why I suggest to wait.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Not sure if related, but sometimes when I type quit (this is how I close games ok) on the loading screen it will freeze for up to 2 minutes, I can't alt tab, but I CAN click on my other monitor and do stuff there, can't bring stuff up over the game though. Also I'm in windowed mode.

Ctrl alt delete close ns2 process. This happens a lot to me now too. I also get black screen no loading sometimes when connecting to a map after loading.
    @Ghosthree3
    This is a good example. Your computer does not freeze so it does not hang the kernel. It just hangs the game. There is a good chance that it would react to input with ps/2.
    Windows still thinks that on that screen where the game hangs, it should priorise keyboard/mouse input of the game. On the other screen, you do not have that issue.

That is how it should work and you should be able to loadup anything you want by that screen to kill the game easy.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Ctrl alt delete close ns2 process. This happens a lot to me now too. I also get black screen no loading sometimes when connecting to a map after loading.

Sometimes I do kill it, but if I'm feeling patient enough I like to let the game close itself properly.
    Well no freezing since the mod folder got cleared out, something in that 1.15 gig didn't like being exited on.

I could easily attribute 500-600 hours of "Game Played" in steam to ns2.exe not shutting down and sitting there until I get back later on at night, go to run it and it tells me it's already active.