Why do I have to optimize the game everytime I start it?

frallan123frallan123 Join Date: 2012-05-12 Member: 151962Members
Even though I've pressed optimize several times this stupid menu always appear when I start the game. Is it supposed to be like this?

Comments

• JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No it should be one time after a new patch has been released.
  • TheKarvaTheKarva Join Date: 2011-06-13 Member: 104251Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    I have the same issue, game asks me to optimize every single time i open it, optimizing doesn't do anything special and next time i start it asks again, i tend to just skip it most times. also my settings don't seem to save, i always end up having my steam nickname on game start and not the nickname last used. Lately i've also been unable to join most servers, the game claiming that my files do not match the servers.

I can join on NSL servers but only a select few others. The only mod i have activated is a crosshair mod so i can't see whats wrong. I've verified steam cache, reinstalled ns2 and you know the usual. Come to think of it though i did go change something in a config file and put it on read only a while back when there was an issue with fullscreen not working at all or whatever the hell it was, so i forced it to start windowed fullscreen or something and write-protected the file. this was way back though, and i now went through all the files and disabled read only on everything.

So what file is not getting updated and saved so my nick would stay as last used and i wouldn't need to optimize and f**king compile shaders and shiiieeeeeee*t all the time? And why can't i join 75% of servers, can't join on my friends most of the time? I don't know where to look anymore.. haven't fooled around with any configs since the old days of HL1 etc.. just this one time when the game was black screen for two weeks, and i can't find the forum post anymore since it's from some time ago.

Luckily I've been able to play the nsl games with my team so far, that would seriously piss me off.

Thnx 4 any advice

Edit: yes this has gone on for months, a bit of a strain but at least i was able to play normally..
  • hyckshycks Join Date: 2013-08-14 Member: 186848Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • ______ Join Date: 2013-10-12 Member: 188667Members
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Weird. Will see what triggers that and see if there is a file one can edit to shut it off.

• SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    I am asked to optimize too but then it just says something about files not matching and to verify files, etc.
    Been this way for 4 months.
    Some day, I'd like to try all the snazzy new stuff but it doesn't seem likely at this point.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    you all seem to hit a rare bug. we need more info. can you all post your logfile after having done the optimization?
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    edited October 2013
    Sure thing, mine is just finished. How would I locate said file?
    Found it. Post the zip? Or just log.txt?
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    the zip is the preferred thing. it has all your settings in it.
    I think this is because for some reason you mount build 232 immediately after loading the menu. Can you disable the mods you have running and let me know how things go after that.

• SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had this problem, solution was to delete the folder:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2\cache

Then after starting and doing 'one time' optimize, it has not come back.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    mods often cause this issue.