Nade Hitboxes

meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
Is it just me or are the collision boxes for thrown grenades about 4x the size of the nade itself?

Just trying to throw a grenade at a tight-but-not-actually-tight angle round a corner usually results in it bouncing off the corner youre trying to throw it round, the nade just bounces off thin air :/

Marines, armouries, level props... All these things usually result in me chipping away a bunch of health or having to run for cover from a cluster grenade that decided to go boomerang on me D:

Comments

• Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I haven't really paid close attention to hit box of nades honestly I just figured I has the wrong direction when throwing due to the no crosshair thing. I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm on.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Grenade models could be larger for improved visibility as well. (<3 invisible grenade facials)
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    grenades are crazy, the rather hilarious run animation and the dodgy physics make me want to play the 'Benny Hill Theme Music'
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I never hit a vent with those. A crosshair would surely help.
    Yeah, I always find you have to aim a cm or two above where you actually think you need to aim for. The induction angle for the nade needs raising a little to correct for this.
    But also the hitboxes. I'm bouncing off of vertical walls that I'm intentionally trying to not hit :P
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    I can not for the life of me throw nades into vents, it's practically impossible. Even if it LOOKS like it went through it still somehow bounces back from an impossible angle and explodes in my face. Cue the ensuing Gorge taunt.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I never hit a vent with those. A crosshair would surely help.

A crosshair really doesn't help with grenades. Either the grenade hitbox is the size of a basketball or your marine throws it with some backwards lefty sidearm technique that releases the projectile 2 feet to your left. I really can't tell.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Sewlek wrote: »
    grenade physics will be improved in next patch, as well as their size (world model)

Thank the lawdy lord! I just LOL when a nade bounces off the ledge in front of me that it visually cleared by 10+ feet. .

• SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited October 2013
    Sewlek wrote: »
    grenade physics will be improved in next patch, as well as their size (world model)

What about how it checks for what it did damage to? Seems like when people start tossing these things around server performance goes poo. Doesn't seem to matter on player count either. Seems to be more related to how much alien entities are on the level. For instance if a level is mostly infested etc using nades seems to cause a lot of adverse server performance (and tick rate goes to hell) than when marines dominate map and are nading last hive or two in their assault.

• turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    as long as i can still hit people on the other side of the wall with the gas, it's okay.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It's not just the grenades either. Some other collision hitboxes need some love too. Try throwing a grenade or gl round over the top of an obs.